English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 06 October 2008, 20:14   #41
lost_loven

yes i did update it when i installed it
tried in workbench shell with the protect command and it didn't work either.. i will try the install again
Old 07 October 2008, 05:37   #42
lost_loven

did the update again and reinstalled.. still no go.. something i am doing wrong? made sure its partition type 83 (linux).. selected bootable and none bootable options.. did full install (not compressed) and no go.. drive is a 2.5 gig, not big.. any suggestions?

k funny, i noticed when did the update installer it says successfully installed to........ but doesn't say where.. is that right?

Last edited by lost_loven; 07 October 2008 at 05:47.
Old 07 October 2008, 18:47   #43
Fractallyte

Try this:
Exit the emulation by pressing 'CTRL + Alt + Backspace'. Press 'Enter' once or twice to bring up the BASH prompt.
Now type the following:

init 2
chown -R knoppix:knoppix /Amiga/dir
chmod -R +w /Amiga/dir
init 5

The emulation will restart, hopefully with full read-write access.
Old 07 October 2008, 21:33   #44
lost_loven

'CTRL + Alt + Backspace' put the emulation at the amiga forever screen (grey screen with the yellow bar) then just sits there.. ARggghh. hehe getting so close but so far. any other ways to get to the bash prompt? maybe off the af cd? hey left it and it turned off the pc...opps that was f12 q that did that

Last edited by lost_loven; 07 October 2008 at 21:52.
Old 08 October 2008, 07:57   #45
Fractallyte

OK, boot up using the 'af-fbtxt' option (at the boot prompt). That'll get rid of the grey AF screen with the yellow progress bar, and present you with the normal Linux console.

You'll need to press 'Enter' at least a couple of times to bring up the BASH prompt. After that, just type those lines. (It's only something you need to do once, fortunately.)

Please post again if it doesn't work!
Old 09 October 2008, 15:28   #46
lost_loven

at wits end.. tried putting in
init 2
chmod -R +w /Amiga/dir
init 5

after the install,
booted off cd and at bash prompt,
switched video cards to see if that might of been the prob.. and no go..
still no bash prompt when quiting emu.. is there a linux disk i can boot off and switch to the hard drive from there? can i do that in linux and edit it from there? lol feels like my a500 sitting beside me is laughing at me.

lost
Old 09 October 2008, 18:28   #47
lost_loven

Got it!!!!!!!!!! After the ctrl alt back space i was holding the shift key and not sure if it was f1 or f2 .. around there anyhow it got me to the bash prompt and i entered
init 2
chmod -R +w /Amiga/dir
init 5

It worked!!!!! whoooo hooo.. glory days are coming back!
thank you so much Fractallyte!

on ward now .. till the next prob!

Lost
Old 09 October 2008, 18:29   #48
lost_loven

lol still wondering whats the best way to edit the config thou so i can get more mem and change the cpu type

lost
Old 09 October 2008, 21:00   #49
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Well 'cpu_type=' is used to change the CPU. Valid entries are : 68000 (A500), 68010, 68020 (A1200), 68030, 68040 and 68060.
'cpu_speed=' changes the speed of the CPU emulation . 'real' as the value would mean keep the original timing and 'max' as the value sets it to the maximum without losing the chipset timing.
For the memory values look at the earlier posts in this thread. I think we pretty much got that sorted there
Old 09 October 2008, 21:39   #50
lost_loven

looked at it but just said hex editor.. fine i can drop to the bash screen now, and i know where the config is. but how to edit..
Old 09 October 2008, 22:00   #51
Fractallyte

Actually, I made a mistake, so I have to apologise. When it's installed, you can't enter 'af-fbtxt' at the boot prompt - it only works when booting from CD! Anyway, I'm glad you fixed the problem. ;-)

The .uaerc config file is found in one of two places, depending on the type of installation. If you did a 'full' installation, it's /Amiga/e-uae/hd_boot.uaerc

For the 'tohd' option, it's (I think) /cdrom/Amiga/e-uae/af_boot.uaerc

KX Light includes a tiny text editor - type 'e3' from the console to invoke it. Unfortunately, the background pic & progress bar tend to make text unreadable unless you boot in text mode (a minor fiddle with the bootloader config: remove the 'splash=silent,theme=af' bit while at the GRUB boot screen).

Alternatively, boot from a live CD such as Knoppix, which has all the usual glitzy editors and utilities. You'll only have to mount your KX Light partition or drive first.

When you finish editing, press 'CTRL + K' then 'X' to save, or 'CTRL + K' then 'Q' to quit without saving.

I hope that helps, a bit...