English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 08 May 2017, 21:36   #1
Signman

Graphic software and other RTG software

Now that I have a Vampire and an RTG display I would like to utilize it more.
What's available in art and graphics other than Personal Paint, XI paint etc.?

Couldn't get Tv paint to run, freezes on screen selection.
Trying also for the likes of Cinema 4d.

With RTG games I find problems and not knowing how to fix. Such as Gloom which asks to insert into drive, not sure what it is looking for as it is installed on hard drive.
Old 08 May 2017, 22:28   #2
emufan

you can try some word processing / dtp software.
pagestream v4 - put some 24bit images to some funny text, and export as pdf.
or Finalwriter97 - aminet 030+ patch - pdf export -> this needs ghostscript

Aladdin4D - not really sure now if it runs on rtg.
Tornado3D v3 - Change PPC Tooltype: PPC=OFF

not sure if these work without fpu.

ImageFX4 works well with rtg - but hard to find these days - removed from ftp due to copyright issue :/

HDRec v0.10b - MIDI/audio sequencer

you were using TVPaint 3.59 ? - if this really does not work, report it to the Vampire/Apollo Team. they may find a fix.

Last edited by emufan; 08 May 2017 at 22:59.
Old 08 May 2017, 23:59   #3
Daedalus

As Emufan wrote, contact the Vampire guys if TVPaint and Cinema4D don't work - they're pretty system-compliant and work fine on a standard RTG system so they should work on the Vampire.

It could be a case that they require a certain screenmode that the Vampire doesn't support, in which case you'll have to wait for support to be added. Also, where different versions of a program are available, make sure you're not using a 68040, 68060 or FPU version as the Vampire doesn't have FPU support yet.
Old 09 May 2017, 00:09   #4
Ami_GFX

Some of the RTG paint programs I use are:

FxPaint
Photogenics
Art Effect
ImageFX 4.5
TVPaint 3.6

FxPaint and ImageFX 4.5 get used the most. I use Deluxe Paint 5.2 and Image Master RT as well in native Amiga mode. There is nothing like Deluxe Paint that I've found. It has been my main Amiga app since forever. Deluxe Paint V works in Cybergraphics 8 bit modes with somewhat limited functionality. In Winuae you can expand its screen mode functionality by setting chip ram to 8mb. That's one thing that can't be done on a real Amiga. Even in RTG modes, Deluxe Paint still uses chip ram and 2mb limits it to XGA resolution.
Old 09 May 2017, 00:52   #5
Signman

Yes , have a soft spot for Deluxe Paint.
If I run version 4, get the usual lo res modes and run normally.
In version 5' plenty of rtg options are presented but after initial screen tries to start, it will always freeze and crash.
Old 09 May 2017, 03:14   #6
Signman

Just looking at Art effect at Vesalia. Looks good, only cd version, no digital download.
Old 09 May 2017, 07:25   #7
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ami_GFX View Post
In Winuae you can expand its screen mode functionality by setting chip ram to 8mb. That's one thing that can't be done on a real Amiga. Even in RTG modes, Deluxe Paint still uses chip ram and 2mb limits it to XGA resolution.
Can't be done on a real Amiga?

The current test cores for the Vampire have 4MB of chipmem...
Old 09 May 2017, 13:13   #8
daxb

@Ami_GFX:
Have you tried PersonalPaint 7? As far as I know it should support RTG screens.

If I run DPaint 5 on 1280x512x8 there is about 450kb chipram free out of 2MB. However, I don`t see why it is necessary to pixel on higher resolutions then the usual lowres/highres screens. Usually I (seldom) pixel on dblpal screen (705×570). Why do you would need XGA (1024x768)? Ahh... on a TFT it could be necessary.
Old 09 May 2017, 14:56   #9
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

I'm using Art Effect via RTG, version 1.5 is available for free at the Amiga Future site
Old 09 May 2017, 22:58   #10
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
you were using TVPaint 3.59 ? - if this really does not work, report it to the Vampire/Apollo Team. they may find a fix.
it's about the missing FPU it seems, one ask in apollo/vampire forum.
TVPaint requires a FPU - tested myself in emulation - does also crash without a FPU on the screen requester.
Old 09 May 2017, 23:58   #11
Ami_GFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signman View Post
Just looking at Art effect at Vesalia. Looks good, only cd version, no digital download.
I bought my copy from Vesalia along with the CD of extra effects. The older versions are available for download, it is only version 4 that comes in CD.

By real Amiga I mean Classic real Amiga.

The only RTG software that really works with Deluxe Paint is Cybergraphics. Picasso 96 just freezes or crashes. I remember it also working with the Merlin RTG software but that was really primitive and only worked with the Merlin card.

I've tried Personal Paint but for some reason, I never took to it. I use Xi paint every now and then but Personal Paint isn't even installed on my Amigas.
Old 10 May 2017, 00:08   #12
AMIGASYSTEM

In RTG there are so many programs that work, HERE and HERE i reviewed the most famous 2D/3D, almost all screenshots are RTG.
Old 10 May 2017, 01:25   #13
Signman

Amigasystem, you are showing tv paint which will not run as I have experienced and others have noted at least with Vampire.
If I could even buy an old copy of Cinema 4d I would. I did download the pc version on ny I7 computer, didn't realize the cost of it. Demo is all I will do for now.