English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 16 February 2006, 02:31   #1
bugmenot

Amiga Forever

is this its own emulator, or are they basically charging you for a copy a free emulator with all the necessary files? how exactly does it work? do you need a good computer? is there anything else i should know before spending 60 bucks on a copy?

thanks, because i found the Amiga Forever website to be a bit confusing, and wanted to be sure of the product i was buying before i bought it.

EDIT- oh, almost forgot, is everything pre-setup or do you have to change configurations and such? in other words, what is the ease of use?

and do you also get to run the actuall OS or just the games? once again, thanks big time

Last edited by bugmenot; 16 February 2006 at 02:45.

Old 16 February 2006, 03:02   #2
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Amiga Forever's centerpiece is WinUAE, which is in fact freely downloadable. The emulator itself is useless however without the Kickstart rom images and Workbench disk images, which are still under copyright, and which are licensed for distribution with Amiga Forever. For those who still have a real Amiga, there are ways to extract your own images, otherwise buying AF is the only legal way to acquire them. There are some not-so-legal ways to acquire them as well, but EAB cannot be a party to that sort of thing for legal reasons. The AF installation does give you a preconfigured setup, but you're free to create your own. There is a bit of a learning curve if you want to customize your configs, but the latest WinUAE versions include some basic configs that should meet most of your needs.

Hardware requirements are not overly steep, as I'm running the latest WinUAE version on a PIII-700, and have gotten good performance on a PIII-500 in the past. It is certainly possible to create a config though which will perform poorly if you're not careful. You can run any version of the Amiga OS in addition to the games, so long as you have the proper Workbench and Kickstart images.
Old 16 February 2006, 04:18   #3
bugmenot

thanks a ton, i will be buying a copy as soon as possible

Old 16 February 2006, 05:33   #4
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Be aware that AF may or may not (and most likely does not) include the latest and greatest version of WinUAE available. You'll probably want to download the latest release, and you can replace whatever version AF includes with it in order to get the latest enhancements and bug fixes.
Old 18 February 2006, 01:13   #5
bugmenot

how do you save changes that you made in the systems settings? i keep changing the backround and when i exit and re-enter, the changes are gone. is there any way to save the changes made in the amiga emulator??

Last edited by bugmenot; 18 February 2006 at 01:37.

Old 18 February 2006, 12:39   #6
pjhutch
Peter

Are you running the Emulator from the Hard disk or booting it from CDROM?
If from CDROM, then you cannot save any changes. You need to install it to a HD to make custom changes.
Old 19 February 2006, 19:16   #7
bugmenot

ok, one more (hopefully). i am seeing that some of the adf's i am finding dont have any executable in them, just a bunch of file (on the 3.x i see a bunch of cabinets and a bunch of them tool things, on 1.3 it just come up blank). am i forgetting something? is there some way to run these?

also, am i just not hitting the right buttons, or is my keyboard not working in some games? in one, i am at a menu, but no matter what i push i cant go up, down, or select an option. the only button that works (usually) is escape.

any other general tips to remember when emulating a game? because my success ratio is like 1 - 50 . the only one i got to work was megaball, and i am finding the whole process to be kinda frustrating. does any one know what i could possibly be doing wrong? the above two are my major problems, but sometimes i get one where i click on it, it says its loading, and nothing happens. is it a problem with my configuration? could someone suggest a config?

Also, what does aga stand for, and all the other abreviations? remember, if there are any noobish things i should know, please tell me!

any help would be appreciated....

Last edited by bugmenot; 19 February 2006 at 19:28.

Old 02 March 2006, 01:00   #8
bugmenot

ok, perhaps i asked a bit too much. all i really need is the most compatablie configuration, and then one for all the ones that dont work in that one. and dont tell me to download them, as all the ones i have found are from a different version of winUAE.

so please, all i need is configuration

Old 02 March 2006, 08:21   #9
thomas

To run a game from ADF, insert the ADF into DF0 and click on Reset instead of Ok.

AF already contains the two most important configs: 1.3 and 3.x.
Old 02 March 2006, 17:45   #10
Anubis
Retro Gamer

There is one thing to remember: F12 key is magic key!

Insert your adfs before you start 1.3 or 3.x setup. If your input (joystick or keyboard) config is not right, hit F12 and change input (you should do this before you start the game/program).

That's 'bout it.
Old 07 March 2006, 00:51   #11
bugmenot

thanks! i realized that the controller was my mistake after seeing that it was set at some random setting, and i had almost forgotten that the ocs and aga was pre-configured, since my amiga forever came with more configurations i guess i glanced over and forgot abou them. once again, thanks!