English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 31 October 2001, 00:44   #1
MethodGit

Thumbs down Well, it's official...

...SNK are gone. Defunct. Deceased. Kaput. Up in the great developers sky.... well, I guess you get the point now.

Some of you will probably have heard about this from other sources already... well, I'm guessing that at least.
Old 31 October 2001, 01:13   #2
Ian
Global Moderator

In the soon to be copyrighted phrase used often be me ....... Oh well

I never like their games anyway.

And yes it is slightly old news Marz, but I'll let you off ...... This time
Old 31 October 2001, 17:06   #3
Amiga1992

Their games rocked, their machines rocked. A great company that was tehre to cater for teh niche of teh most hardcore gamers.

SNK, you will be missed This ain't old news Ian, the official word has been announced teh 29th. Check out their site, http://www.neogeo.co.jp for a special bye bye gift

I am glad I bought their last game! :P Or is it second to last? Hmm.. when did Garou get released for the DC? I think Card Fighters Clash 2 is newer...
Old 31 October 2001, 22:46   #4
Ian
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Their games rocked, their machines rocked. A great company that was tehre to cater for teh niche of teh most hardcore gamers.
I know there games were good, they just aren't for me thats all

BTW Neogeo =

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
This ain't old news Ian, the official word has been announced teh 29th.(
Just harmless ribbin' on my part, I never meant it but then again it did take Marz a day to report it

I agree they will be missed, but from what I gather most if not all the creative talent has been snapped up by the various other Soft Co's (Capcom etc. etc.) so you'll still see some damn fine 2d Beat 'em up's if thats what floats your boat but I don't like them
Old 01 November 2001, 00:10   #5
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Their games rocked, their machines rocked
I wonder if it's the same company that did Ikari Warriors III on the C64? (SNK Electrocoin)
Old 01 November 2001, 00:43   #6
Amigaboy

They should've stopped at Ikari Warriors 1 (which rocked!)

Old 01 November 2001, 00:55   #7
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Well speaking of the C64, I only know two versions of Ikari Warriors I: US (Data East) and UK (Elite).
I think that SNK only developed the THIRD part of it, not the previous ones, but I might be wrong.

What interests me more, is why didn't SNK tell anything about the REASON why they have to close their doors forever?
I *assume* they're bankrupt but in fact I don't know anything.

@Akira
Quote:
I am glad I bought their last game! :P Or is it second to last?
Well now I know what is definitely the last and latest SNK game.
It's King Of Fighters 2001, developed in cooperation with the Korean company Eolith. The game is rumored to be released soon-ish.

Last edited by andreas; 01 November 2001 at 01:04.
Old 01 November 2001, 00:57   #8
Ian
Global Moderator

Apparently it's been on the cards for a long time and wasn't a shock to anybody that they had to shut up shop.

Something to do with the suits running the company into the ground, but isn't that always the way

Slightly more info can be found here

Last edited by Ian; 01 November 2001 at 01:04.
Old 01 November 2001, 15:52   #9
Amiga1992

Aruze, a fucking pachinko company, bought SNK like a year or more ago. They instantly started to fuck things up, by removing all SNK products from western markets and all that shite (when they took the NGPC stuff back, all that jazz). This was the mark of SNK's death IMO.

Anyway, when this happened, a LOT of their art department went onto Capcom (check out the box art for Capcom's Final Fight One for the GBA), and others stood there... Now I wish teh talented people who worked at SNK will move onto good softcos like Capcom, 8ing, Takumi or Sega, or betetr yet, pull a Treasure and form their own company!

There were other things than just fighters Ian

andreas: yep, that could be the last game. but it wont make it home, so let's say I bought the last (or second to last)SNK game for home It surely is their last ORIGINAl game, since mark of teh Wolves it's a port.
Old 02 November 2001, 02:45   #10
gusddm

Yep, snk is dead, but....

You can play the last geo games (Prehistoric Isle 2, Ganryu, Garou....) on the new MAME !

Nicola Salmoria figured out the Encryption!

Old 02 November 2001, 03:30   #11
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Hmm, I've heard KoF 2001 and Metal Slug 4 were being developed, both out of the MVS board...

Garou have been emulated for some time now, the "hot" thing now (as I see in the IRC emulator channels) is KoF 2K and Metal Slug 3
Old 02 November 2001, 05:16   #12
Blackjackel6

Send a message via ICQ to Blackjackel6
Unhappy you will missed SNK

i live in Australia so i never had a neo geo but i am a huge fan of SNK's King Of Fighters. The 2D fighting scene just won't be the same with the sheer hordes of asians lining up at the local arcade to play the latest and greatest from SNK. I sincerely hope CAPCOM will hire the talented staff behind KOF as i'm sure they won't stick around for the stupid pachinko shit. Thanks SNK, your legend will live forever
Old 02 November 2001, 05:57   #13
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
Hmm, I've heard KoF 2001 and Metal Slug 4 were being developed, both out of the MVS board...

Garou have been emulated for some time now, the "hot" thing now (as I see in the IRC emulator channels) is KoF 2K and Metal Slug 3
Garou's BETA version has been emuated (the speed on the final game has changed. It's a lot slower!), and Metal Slug 4 was just a rumour , but I think Kof 2k1 iwas really being developed.

The newest MVS game I know os is Sengoku 3... I heard GREAT things about this one.
Old 02 November 2001, 06:22   #14
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Oh yeah, that's true, I forgot Garou was a Beta..

I don't believe they slowed down the game.. why? The game was perfect that way....

from what I've heard, both KoF 2001 and Metal Slug 4 would use 3D graphics for the backgrounds, while keeping the sprites and playability in 2D
Old 02 November 2001, 10:24   #15
Blackjackel6

Send a message via ICQ to Blackjackel6
3D backdrops

SNK tried the 3D backdrops with King Of Fighters 99:Evolution, i must say that i was most unimpressed. But Capcom showed me how good they could actually look (Marvel Vs Capcom 2) and when i heard the rumor of metal slug 4 with 3d backdrops i couldn't contain my antipation.
Old 02 November 2001, 12:51   #16
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Thanx for breaking the news guys...I didn't know

I can't believe it. I only got into SNK games recently, and I loved them. I found the King of Fighter series to be much better games than what Capcom is currently bringing out.

No more Iori, Terry, Mai, Mary, Kyo etc? They will be missed, as will SNK.

And to think that SNK vs Capcom 2 just came out where I lived...
Old 02 November 2001, 17:23   #17
Amiga1992

I quite dont like teh 3D backdrops. If you say KOF2k1 was to have 3D backdrops I presume it was being planned as a NAOMI game... but I doubt it. MS4 has been denied and I dunno about KOF2k1.

You know teh ammount of games they canned for the NGPC? Among them, KOF R3 and Garou... what a shame ((

BTW, Yes Shatterhand, the speed has been decreased IMO. I play it in my P133 and it goes FASTER than in the real thing. Try it out!