English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 27 November 2001, 22:09   #1
Kodoichi
Banned

Location: I'm the smiling face on your TV, I exploit you still you love me
Archon-Remake

Uhh... dunno if this has already been posted...

http://www.curvesoftware.co.uk/archon
Old 27 November 2001, 23:37   #2
LaundroMat

Quote:
For further information, please be sure to visit The Game page and the superb Archon FAQ (currently down).
Heh.
Old 28 November 2001, 00:10   #3
Drake1009

From the screenshots I'm not too impressed with the remake. It seems it keeps a lot of the archon spirit.

I'd say though that Archon ultra would be considered a better remake (though it's probably so old a DOS game that it won't work on windows). Archon ultra has better graphics (3D isometric board), as far as I can tell the same gameplay on the board with nothing added there. Easy to tell apart pieces (1 set of creatures for each side, as far as I remember an example would be a pegasus and a wyvern or something like that are actually the same).

In the battles you have better graphics, the battle is on a nicely textured playarea with background objects and everything you'd expect, the 2 weapons for each of the creatures work well and if you're close enough the screen will zoom in and when they move away from each other again it zooms out.

I haven't really played the original archon much, but Archon Ultra is a great game which actually I played before playing the original so it's possible I'm comparing the wrong way around, but I'd say there isn't anything much other than updated graphics in the remake there.
Old 28 November 2001, 12:01   #4
Daze

Archon rulez

Beg to differ. Archon was (is) way better than Archon Ultra IMHO. I was lucky enough to be around for the original's release in 1983 - It was a ground breaking game at the time. In fact I'd go as far as to say it's my all time favorite game. Perfectly balanced...

You can imagine how excited I was about Archon Ultra when it came out. Boy was I dissappointed. Sure the graphics were way better and the new board was a visual treat, but they'd messed with the gameplay too much and the battles just didn't work at all for me. The second mode of attack was a nice touch and the modem game worked well, but that's where the positives end for me. The playability simply wasn't there -They'd completely broken the balance of the game. The battles were sluggish and the fun element simply wasn't anywhere to be found. I'm yet to meet anyone who really rates Archon (the original) who prefers Archon Ultra on any level other than the visuals.

Personally, I can't wait for this remake. I found the site about a month ago and have (shamlessly) been visiting every other day in hope of a public beta. I think Curve Software have taken the right approach. They're keeping with the originals "already perfect gameplay" (quote taken from the site) while revamping the visuals (although not radically) and adding internet play. If you look on the forums there, many of the posts are from people saying how they really like the look of the game and that they're glad Curve Software aren't messing too much with a winning formula.

I believe that I read somewhere that they've designed the game's engine in such a way that it's scalable and can be used, with minor changes, for the basis of a 3D game. Perhaps Archon 3D will please the fans of Archon Ultra?

Gameplay over presentation will always win the day...

Just my 2c

Daze.

BTW: The current screenshots are "work in progress" and in no way finished apparently.

Old 28 November 2001, 17:52   #5
Amiga1992

Hey, has archon anything to do with your babe magnet condition? If so, I'd start playing that game!

I remember trying it out and ALWAYS being squashed in teh little fight scene that unfolds when two players confront. I sucked bad Nice original game nonetheless.
Old 29 November 2001, 16:44   #6
Daze

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira
Hey, has archon anything to do with your babe magnet condition? If so, I'd start playing that game!
LOL - Sadly not. It just took a lot of hard (but enjoyable) work.