English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 20 February 2010, 19:19   #21
amiga

@Photon:

To change Win Xp shell with Winuae, do the following:

Changing the default shell (all users):

1) open regedit (start menu > run, and type in regedit)
2) go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.
3) Change Shell from explorer.exe to the new shell path e.g C:\winuae\winuae.exe
4) log out and log back in.

Changing the default shell (only current user):

1) open regedit (start menu > run, and type in regedit).
2) go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.
3) add a new string value (Edit > New > String Value) called shell. and set the value to the path of the new shell e.g C:\winuae\winuae.exe.

That's it! Modifying the registry isn't rocket science.

JUST REMEMBER to rename the winuae configuration that u want to launch, to 'default.uae' !

You can always launch Explorer.exe from WITHIN Winuae, in case u'll need to do so, by using this utility: http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/winlaunch
Old 20 February 2010, 19:48   #22
Retro1234
Phone Homer

I think some realy want to hide the fact there running windows - WinLauch is a good app for launching Windows apps and can be done from Icons on Workbench so you can have MSWord icon on workbench....................
But you can just press Ctrl+Alt+Del bring up task manager click New Task -Explorer.exe or what ever.
Old 20 February 2010, 20:43   #23
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
BTW, even without testing I would assume you can get a decent performance gain if you use Windows 2000 for this sort of experiments. (less-complex kernel, less-complex system layers, less junk you don't need for a WinUAE-only PC anyway, etc.)

Well, if someone really happens to have too much time on his hands, he may report me the results someday--I'm interested
Old 20 February 2010, 20:51   #24
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Windows 2000: don't do that.

- Windows 2000 support is going away soon (for example MSVC 2010 compiled exes won't run on W2K anymore unless you add some compatibility hack dlls..)
- Picasso96 emulation is slower in W2K (due to missing features)
- W2K has longest boot time ever
- Crappy sleep support (if you want really fast "booting", this finally works perfectly in 7 as long as drivers don't suck)

btw, if you want some related WinUAE updates (for "invisible emulation"), I'll listen if you explain why it is good idea, as usual
Old 21 February 2010, 02:26   #25
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
Windows 2000: don't do that.
Sorry ... scratch that thought then. I'm biased, I know that, since I'm still a great fan of this slim, unbloated OS.

Quote:
- Windows 2000 support is going away soon (for example MSVC 2010 compiled exes won't run on W2K anymore unless you add some compatibility hack dlls..)
Urgh. Didn't know that. However, I wager it's Micro$oft who strategically and deliberately block Win2K support by that. I don't think it would've taken them much effort to continue supporting W2K even in MSVC '10...I just would not buy the story that it could be "that hard."
They just intend to force people into buying their new OSes - it's just nifty business strategism IMHO.

Last edited by andreas; 21 February 2010 at 02:32.
Old 21 February 2010, 04:30   #26
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga View Post
@Photon:

To change Win Xp shell with Winuae, do the following:

Changing the default shell (all users):

1) open regedit (start menu > run, and type in regedit)
2) go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.
3) Change Shell from explorer.exe to the new shell path e.g C:\winuae\winuae.exe

Changing the default shell (only current user):

1) open regedit (start menu > run, and type in regedit).
2) go to: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.
3) add a new string value (Edit > New > String Value) called shell. and set the value to the path of the new shell e.g C:\winuae\winuae.exe.

That's it! Modifying the registry isn't rocket science.

JUST REMEMBER to rename the winuae configuration that u want to launch, to 'default.uae' !

You can always launch Explorer.exe from WITHIN Winuae, in case u'll need to do so, by using this utility: http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/winlaunch
No it isn't rocket science, I've done it enough times for this project. As I said, I'll write something up when it's Amiga-like in booting speed as well.

And again, the problem with shoving something instead of the shell which is unable to 'work as the start menu' means you have trouble using Windows after exiting WinUAE, and this is of course critical to me. Not only could I convert and modify 3D objects for my demo, I could also browse and type things like this on EAB

I used to be a die-hard fan of Windows 2000, but unfortunately its support is dwindling. Not the fault of the OS, but I agree with Toni's comment. A lite XP or XP Pro with knowledgeable removal of unnecessary stuff is where the minimum "fully working Windows" is today. (Litestep goes a long way towards that, and I've noticed I do less unnecessary stuff on the laptop since I need to add hotkeys/popup entries for common but unnecessary tasks... ) Maybe I'll try your winlaunch tip, but since I'm stupid I like to "K.I.S.S." Or something

Oh, BTW. F*ck Microsoft for abandoning Win 2000. (And also for making 1-2 versions a year in the first place. Oh well, what do you expect from a company that takes countless versions and 11 years to release a workable OS. Let's face it, we use it because it became standard so gamedevs make games for it and hardware vendors make drivers for it, and because WinUAE is the best UAE... and that's about it... unfortunately for competitors, that is of course enough. They should at least work on the first two reasons.)
Old 21 February 2010, 11:06   #27
amiga

@Photon:

If u want a lightweigth xp, maybe u can try this:
http://www.google.com/search?q=microxp
Old 21 February 2010, 20:09   #28
Photon

Google is indeed the greatest torrent search engine...

I don't plan on re-doing the work again, so I will not install an OS again. By using an XP Pro SP3 and slimming that down, I "keep control, here at the top, where it belongs" (c) Wargames.
Old 28 October 2014, 08:43   #29
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Photon

Did you ever write/publish a guide of the steps you took?

I'm looking to do the same on a small thin client PC I have which runs XPe and no point re-inventing the wheel!
Old 28 October 2014, 19:55   #30
Photon

I bought xplorer2 to replace Explorer (the file manager). Then to replace explorer.exe (start menu etc), I installed Litestep. If you start from one of those infamous slimmed down umm XP remixes you get rid of IE, various Messengers etc as well. As it is with various software tech Litestep may have gone out of fashion, but if you google "Litestep alternatives" you're bound to find some alternatives, and slimming guides as well. I would get an explorer.exe replacement that support quicklaunch boxes (i.e. type fir<enter> and Firefox launches.), I think Executor worked fine with LiteStep but some of those may require an explorer.exe.

Last edited by Photon; 28 October 2014 at 20:06.
Old 18 October 2021, 11:51   #31
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Hi guys,
Sorry to dig an old thread. Just want to know if you are still using such a solution as I am considering making the same with a Win7 laptop.
Old 18 October 2021, 12:48   #32
White

I did something like this a few years ago '
everything worked perfectly with windows 7
I got the boot directly in winuae with the 4.1FE
as well as having changed some registry keys
the part to delete (windows-explorer)
and to be searched in "admin policy"
it was enough to disable explorer in that section.
i had used a light version of "windows 7 ultimate" with nlite

( you probably won't find the admin policy option in other versions of windows 7 )

the speed had improved a little
but it's not worth it for the speed gain.
On the other hand, it is fun if the aim is to have only winuae when booting on a machine with windows
you can also get a dual boot or triple boot
assigning an "x76" hide on the partition that you dedicate to "winuae workbench as real hard-disk"

alt + tab + delete
it serves instead because you can launch the explorer process if you need to update or modify non-essential services from time to time

there was a post on that
but then I deleted the screenshot of the policy to be changed in win7
to make room.

I also disabled the windows 7 logo and added a bouncing "boing" animation in its place

here an example:
[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by White; 18 October 2021 at 13:12.
Old 18 October 2021, 13:27   #33
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Hi guys,
Sorry to dig an old thread. Just want to know if you are still using such a solution as I am considering making the same with a Win7 laptop.
I'm still using xplorer2 as file manager, because it has so many good features and customizability.

I'm not using it as explorer.exe replacement, though.

But I still use that and a launcher, Executor. I wish it would remove duplicates and non-programs, but it's nice and I'm used to it. It does calculations without opening Calc and I've added a keyword to search on the web.

Two laptops and a desktop have come since the thread started, and I'm just too lazy to fiddle with hiding Windows. I install these two and that makes Windows better.

Last edited by Photon; 18 October 2021 at 13:47.
Old 18 October 2021, 13:47   #34
Mclane
Old retro god.

Can't say I have ever read this thread before but since there's talk of explorer replacements I can totally recommend Directory Opus (hell it's even got Amiga history) as a fantastic replacement. It's a little costly, but it's worth every penny, it's basically the hub of my PC, everything gets launched via it.
Old 19 October 2021, 02:48   #35
Ponki1986

Welcome. Some time ago I was looking for an answer to the question: How do I turn an x86 computer into an Amiga? I have been collecting information on the internet for a long time, also here on the forum. I finally made it. First with Windows XP, then Windows 7.

I also had the opportunity to publish it in an amateur magazine dedicated to C64 and Amiga users. At https://ka-plus.pl/en/ you can order this magazine in PDF format, in which from issue 13 to 16 I described the XP version. The W7 version was described in numbers 18 and 19. But I think number 19 has not been published yet. The articles were written in Polish, but also translated into English.

Here you can see how the W7 version works: [ Show youtube player ]

Please do not treat my speech as an advertisement for a magazine, but this is the only way I can share this knowledge. Sorry for my english as well, i use translator.
Old 19 October 2021, 09:07   #36
honx

i assume this video does not have at least english subtitles?
Old 19 October 2021, 12:33   #37
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Thanks for your new replies and advices.
I will check the video
Old 19 October 2021, 12:58   #38
honx

i'm afraid there's not much to "check" in this video unless you speak russia or whatever language this is.
Old 19 October 2021, 13:23   #39
Ponki1986

The indicated video does not show how to turn an x86 computer into an Amiga. The end result is shown. Of course, Win7 is running in the background, but everything is so connected that you have the impression that AmigaOS is the only system running on your computer. If you noticed mounting ISO images I don't use GUI (F12), because this key and many others are disabled. Similarly, you can enable or disable JIT, mount the ADF image, change the Host volume, restart or shut down the host computer.

And by the way, it is not Russian, but Polish, I mentioned it above.
Old 19 October 2021, 22:54   #40
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Use to like doing this, you can even launch Windows Apps with WinLaunch and make it fully integrated convert windows Icons to .info etc.