English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 06 May 2003, 21:55   #1
Jan

Unhappy A500 doesn't work

Something is not right with my A500. I set it back up after some months today, but it does not work.

After switching it on, the power LED stays dark, but the drive LED is lit all the time. The drive itself does not click like it should be, and nothing happens when I insert a disk. Plus, the monitor shows no screen at all. It's dark.

I checked the monitor with another Amiga, it is fine. Also the internal drive does not seem to be the problem, as the same happens with a different drive.

The CAPS LOCK led only blinks once when I turn the Amiga on, no more blinks after that. I think it always blinks once when you turn the computer on.

Any idea what is wrong?
Old 06 May 2003, 23:11   #2
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
have you pushed all the chips back into their sockets and checked the floppy cables?

you could try the 'standard A500 engineers test' and lift it 6"/15cm (4"/10cm if your of a nervous disposition) above your desk and drop it
Old 06 May 2003, 23:29   #3
Jan

I removed the 2,5MB expansion, and now I can see the Workbench hand, but the drive still does not work. Now both power LED and drive LED are lit all the time. The drive still does not click and nothing happens when I insert a disk.

And also, that round wheel at the bottom of the drive is constantly turning. Maybe that's the reason why the drive LED is always lit.

What could that be?

Checked the cables and chips btw, everything seems okay. Also did the engineer test, nothing happened
Old 07 May 2003, 00:10   #4
th4t1guy

Not sure how this would affect an a500, but make sure the floppy cable is not plugged in backwards.
Old 07 May 2003, 00:24   #5
Jan

I made sure it's plugged in correctly.

Floppy still doesn't work
Old 07 May 2003, 15:29   #6
Severin

Send a message via ICQ to Severin
Quote:
Originally posted by Jan
And also, that round wheel at the bottom of the drive is constantly turning. Maybe that's the reason why the drive LED is always lit.

What could that be?
Check the switchs inside the front of the disk drive, sounds like the disk inserted switch is stuck down...

If not, it could be one of your CIA(8570) chips is damaged, it's a fairly common problem, to test this swap them over - you have 2 at the back of the mobo.
Old 07 May 2003, 15:48   #7
Jan

The switch is okay, it can't be that on two formerly working internal drives the switch is broken at the same time. I'll check the chip tonight, I already figured it must be a motherboard problem.

EDIT: it's working now!

Last edited by Jan; 07 May 2003 at 20:48.