English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > EAB's competition

Old 02 December 2012, 18:29   #1
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Wink Never Played In The SuperComp - Top 100 League

Welcome to the 2013 'Never Played In The SuperComp' League.

The idea behind this is to encourage lots of ideas for the 2013 season.
I'll post the best ones on a Top 100 league table. At the moment the EAB League looks like this:

1. Snow Bros.
  2. Liquid Kids
  3. No Second Prize
  4. Doodlebug (Robocod/Sonic)
  5. Metal Law (Turrican 4)
  6. Pinball Mania AGA (i.e. Pinball 4)
  7. Speedball 2
  8. Prime Mover (Lotus on a bike)
  9. Obsession (i.e. Pinball '95)
  10. Wiz and Liz
  11. Crazy Cars 3 (Lambo Challenge)
  12. Indianapolis 500
  13. F1 (i.e. Vroom 4)
  14. Hunter (Timed Missions Mode)
  15. Take Em Out (Gun/Target Shooter)
  16. Dynamite Dux
  17. Zeewolf 2
  18. James Pond 3 AGA
  19. Oscar AGA
  20. Mr Nutz
  21. Cool Spot
  22. Outrun Europa
  23. Supercars
  24. Chuck Rock
  25. Captain Planet and the Planeteers
  26. Hybris (Vertical shooter)
  27. Alien 3
  28. James Pond 1: Underwater Agent
  29. Marvin's Marvellous Adventure AGA
  30. Fuzzball
  31. Ruffian (Jungle platformer)
  32. Quik the Thunder Rabbit
  33. Out To Lunch (i.e. Catch 'em)
  34. Stardust
  35. Ghouls and Ghosts
  36. Rick Dangerous 2
  37. A.P.B.
  38. Ivan Stewarts Super Offroad
  39. Pegasus (Horizontal shooter/platform)
  40. Arabian Nights
  41. Nicky Boom
  42. Beach Volley
  43. Star Wars
  44. Ik+
  45. Woody's World
  46. Midnight Resistance
  47. Switchblade 2
  48. Impossamole
  49. Tearaway Thomas
  50. Leander
  51. Prince of Persia (1st level, or 2nd level best time)
  52. First Samurai (1st level, or 2nd, Best time)
  53. Putty
  54. Power Drift
  55. Desert Strike
  56. Lethal Xcess (shooter)
  57. Harlequin
  58. Toki
  59. Aladdin AGA
  60. Apocalypse
  61. Bc Kid
  62. Test Drive 2
  63. Pipe Mania
  64. Assassin
  65. Global Gladiators
  66. Benefactor
  67. Venus the Flytrap
  68. Chaos Engine 2
  69. Volfied
  70. Sly Spy Secret Agent
  71. Motorhead
  72. Jimmys Fantastic Journey
  73. Safari Guns
  74. F17 Challenge
  75. Wonderdog
  76. Zoom
  77. Locomotion (Kingsoft)
  78. Rampage
  79. Blob
  80. Zany Golf
  81. Panza Kickboxing
  82. Kid Gloves
  83. Alfred Chicken
  84. Saint Dragon
  85. The Adams Family
  86. Basejumpers
  87. Simulcra
  88. Adventures of Quik and Silva
  89. Klax
  90. Atomic Robokid
  91. Lethal Weapon
  92. Goal!
  93. Premiere
  94. Lollypop
  95. Brian the Lion
  96. Revenge of the Mutant Camals
  97. Jumping Jackson (WHDload fixed version)
  98. GeeBee Air Rally
  99. Shanghai (Mah Jong)
  100. Jupiters Masterdrive

Dropout Zone!
  101. Super Skweek

Notable Omissions:
Traders
Twinworld
Tower of Babel (Group 11+12)
Whizz
Tangram (limited to level 200, above would be random mode)
Projectyle (in a half year, we had SWOS now)
Ork (although there are unlimited enemies, your shot packs are limited)
Mysterious Worlds
Killing Game Show
Spindizzy Worlds (hard mode, maybe 1st no. of completed worlds, 2nd amount of reserve fuel) (untested)
Emerald Mine (Maybe 1st highest reached level, 2nd lowest score) (untested)
Millenium 2.2 (1st checkpoint [ingame achievement], time to reach this point) - a play takes about 6 h minimum
Transplant (Proposed was highest reached level by someone who voted for it)
Atomix
Puzznic
Jaguar XJ220
Syndicate (fastest mission time?)
Paradroid 90 (with activated transfer-game)
Leander
Uridium 2
Agony
Unreal
Xtreme Racing
Morton Strikes Back (AGA)
Shadow Fighter

Tested as Unsuitable:
Uridium 2, Mean Arenas, Micro Machines, Full Contact, Awesome, Jim Power, The Settlers, Lemmings, Gloom, Breathless, Shufflepuck Cafe, Cannon Fodder, Lionheart, Lost Vikings, North and South, Hired Guns, The Lion King AGA, Populus, MegaLoMania (untested), Exile, Nemac-IV, New Zealand Story (has infinite respawning enemies).

----

Your Chance To Join In:
Are you an EAB Competition player? (all Lemon users see below)

Vote for your Top 5 (suitable*) games we have yet to play in the compo. (* PD games and games without scores are unsuitable), plus one more game (the 6th) as an 'I don't wont to play this game' vote.

Rank them 1 - 6 (with 1 being the Top game, 6th the lowest).

If you vote for a game already in the league, your vote will move this game up a number of places. i.e

1. Stunt Car Racer TNT ---(moves up +5 places)
2. Snow Bros -------------(moves up +4 places)
3. IK+ ------------------- (moves up +3 places)
4. Simulcra ---------------(moves up +2 places)
5. Yogi's Great Escape ----(moves up +1 place)
6. Ooops Up! -------------(moves DOWN -5 places)

If the game is already in the League but cannot be moved up by the voted number of places due to it being already near the top, then it will be ranked in terms of overall popularity.

You can vote new games into the league at any point, and these will be inserted initially at Position #80-#85. It's then up to the others to vote those games up the table, or they will fall into the 'yeah it's a personal favourite of mine but really it's a shit game' dropout zone.

Voters can only vote for a particular game ONCE! - No double voting (double votes will be ignored) - but they CAN post multiple times if they are voting for New or Other Existing titles in the League (No matter where those games are in the table). In this way the new and most popular games can be voted up, and poor ones can be ignored and left to drop out. So you can vote more than once as long as you don't vote for the same game twice (so you can even post 4 times and vote for 20 different games!)

One '+ or - Super Joker' can be used by any voter at any time to vote for any game listed in the League. The '+' Super Joker gives that game a +15 ranking, while the '-' Super Joker drops any game by -15 places. Only one '+' or '-' Super Joker can be used while this thread is running, so tactical voters may wish to leave their Super Jokers til near the end to rank up their all-time favourite, or at any stage to push down an annoying competitor. In the meantime, if a voter wishes to push down a poor game, simply vote for other games to rise above it, so pushing the poor game down.

Voting for a game in the Dropout Zone carries double weight, i.e. Rank 1 = 10 points = game moves up 10 places.

Voting Closes as soon as Voting begins on the 2013 SuperComp.

Also bare this in mind:
Graham, Mike Biscuit and Lifeschool have the right to Veto any game on the grounds of it's unsuitability as a compo game, and these will be added to the unsuitability list. (thanks in advance Graham )

Graham, Mike and Biscuit have the right to edit the League and update it at any point.

Lifeschool holds the right to make all final judgements (and all the errors) at his discression, especially where the games are hotly contested. Remember, this league is just a rough guide to voting when the real vote comes up, so having your personal favourite game stuck in 99th position really makes NO difference when it comes to the real vote.

This page represents the views of new and experienced EAB compo players. All supporters of Lemon will find a similar page HERE. EABers can't vote on the Lemon thread and vice versa!

Have fun!

Last edited by lifeschool; 04 December 2012 at 18:43.
Old 03 December 2012, 00:00   #2
Harry
HD Installer

I have more games which i would like to play in the competition than votes, and a lot of the listed games do not interest me. Have you actually looked at the proposals of the last year to compile the list?

Unfortunately the greater part of my top of unplayed games is unlisted:
1. Leander
2. Aladdin (with whd-score-patch and without the score of the flight level)
3. Prince of Persia (1st level, 2nd best time)
4. First Samurai (1st level, 2nd Best time)
5. Aquanaut (F1 Licenseware)

Additionally, i would like to play the following unlisted games:
Traders
Twinworld
Tower of Babel (Group 11+12)
Whizz
Tangram (limited to level 200, above would be random mode)
Projectyle (in a half year, we had SWOS now)
Ork (although there are unlimited enemies, your shot packs are limited)
Mysterious Worlds
Killing Game Show
Atomix
Puzznic

Games I would like to play, but i am not sure if a mode can be found:
Spindizzy Worlds (hard mode, maybe 1st no. of completed worlds, 2nd amount of reserve fuel)
Emerald Mine (Maybe 1st highest reached level, 2nd lowest score)
Millenium 2.2 (1st reached checkpoint [ingame achievement], 2nd time to reach this point) - a play takes about 6 h minimum
Transplant (Proposed was highest reached level by someone who voted for it)

Note: Jumping JackSon also would need the whd-version with patched score count.

Another thought:
A great idea would be to award minus points for games which I dont want to play at all. (The more the better, but a list of 10 would be a good start, as compensation the number of positive votes also could be raised to ten, and i would not delete games from the list, they simply remain at bottom, as games vanish from this list when they were voted to play in the competition.)

Edit: Just saw that Aladdin is in the list.

Last edited by Harry; 03 December 2012 at 00:58.
Old 03 December 2012, 09:12   #3
Graham Humphrey

Nice idea and a lot of work has clearly gone into compiling that list... that's certainly a lot of games. Of course I haven't played all of them so can't say what is and isn't suitable but I can say that Mean Arenas should be removed from the list due to the small technical detail of having already played it Ditto Uridium 2.

Also I am not convinced Micro Machines is at all suitable due to a lack of any sort of scoring system.
Old 03 December 2012, 15:06   #4
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I changed the insertion point of new games to 50 instead of position 80. This is to ensure the new game could get to the top of the League if 10 other voters vote it up with 5 points each (position 80 would make it hard for new games to be voted to the top). I also added two Joker Cards, a + Joker gaves +15 positions, a - Joker takes away -15 positions, but Jokers can only be used once, and you only get one of each.

Graham - Thanks, I removed the games your pointed out from both threads

Harry - Thanks for joining the thread. I inserted your new games at #50 and moved Aladdin AGA up as requested. I forgot to add that PD games are not eligable in the League to keep things nice and simple, sorry about that. PD games only tend to come up during the PD round anyway. I also added a '-' Joker so you can vote one game down if there is no way to vote the games around it up. I added your second list to the Omissions box for now, but again there is nothing to stop you from voting again to add all those games to the League if you like. You can vote as many times as you like but not for the same game twice. (So Yes you can vote x4 times for x20 different games!)

Last edited by lifeschool; 03 December 2012 at 16:08.
Old 04 December 2012, 00:04   #5
Harry
HD Installer

With a day distance, I have an idea for a whole different voting system.

Explanation: The ultimate goal should be to find the games where the most people have the most fun of it, and make know each other of their preferences.

You vote for at least 20 games, regardless if they are on the list or not. But the list is there to give you ideas and recommendations. The only prerequisite is that you indeed played the game for some minutes to examine if it fits you, and that gives your vote a real background. You may vote in a range from 0-5 points for the games. Finally, all votes of all people are added together per game and give an overall ranking result list. It would be good if Lifeschool could track these additions with only a day delay.
You are allowed to add more games (this time also less than 20) in subsequent votes, but you may not change the voting for games which you have already voted so far.

An example of the vote could look like this (please sort your list alphabetically [if Lifeschool requests something different, then that counts]):

5 Aladdin AGA
4 Bombuzal
5 Crazy Cars 3
0 Doodlebug
5 First Samurai
3 Jumping Jackson
5 Leander
0 Liquid Kids
5 Metal Law
3 Snow Bros
2 Speedball 2
4 Spindizzy Worlds
3 Wiz N Liz
etc. at least 20 entries, where your points mean:
5 - I just waited to play this game
4 - It would make a good addition to the comp
3 - Playing this would be nice for a while
2 - It it gets really voted, I will play it, but do not enjoy it
1 - Dont think i will play it much
0 - I dislike this game very much

The addition of all votes of all people would yield a list which is not initially biased by a default start list, in that case (as there is only one vote present):
5 Aladdin, Crazy Cars 3, First Samurai, Leander, Metal Law
4 Bombuzal, Spindizzy Worlds
3 Jumping Jackson, Snow Bros, Whiz N Liz
2 Speedball 2
0 Doodlebug, Liquid Kids

Ideally, people could browse for the games which others voted with 5 or 4 (or if you are really committed also with 3 points) to see if that game is something for them, vote for those games too and thus giving the result list a stronger background.

What do you think?

Last edited by Harry; 04 December 2012 at 01:39.
Old 04 December 2012, 15:02   #6
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Wow Harry, you've really been thinking about this. To honest I bit off more than I can chew with this thread, (I work while trying to run pages on forums, even the mirror of this thread on LemonAmiga is taking up precious free time). I really don't think I could put in enough time to manage everything you suggest. That is unless Graham or one of the other mods wants to take over from here and implement their own system??

I'm Open to suggestions.

Btw, Harry, if YOU could spare the time to do all that for us, and make this a really interesting thread, simply start a brand new thread in Competitions and I'll delete this one!

Last edited by lifeschool; 04 December 2012 at 16:37.
Old 04 December 2012, 16:41   #7
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Or, how about we keep the current system but we add 1 game to make it a top 6, with the 6th game counting as a -1, so people can vote down games as well as vote them up? If you want to trial the idea I can give it a go?

Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy for someone to steal my idea and I'll remove the thread.
Old 04 December 2012, 18:07   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeschool View Post
Btw, Harry, if YOU could spare the time to do all that for us, and make this a really interesting thread, simply start a brand new thread in Competitions and I'll delete this one!
Hey lifeschool, please don't delete this thread even if that does happen!

We wouldn't want to lose this lot. It could spawn new ideas yet...
Old 04 December 2012, 18:42   #9
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Thanks Prowler. My list is indeed a good long list of games, but the Lemon crew on the sister thread (linked in first post) are already hammering my list to bits with their own ideas. Feel free to add your own Prowler.

Well I guess the jury is still out. In case the thread is still valid, I've updated the rules with the new -5 rule for a game in 6th place in the vote, and it's now 6 games per vote.

I'm happy to continue as long as the rules don't involve counting up things or maths in general
Old 04 December 2012, 22:39   #10
Graham Humphrey

Just to say I have no intention of taking this over or anything, I have quite a lot on my plate as it is (one of the reasons I scaled down my commitments on EAB).

I don't think there's ever been any issue of whether this is 'valid' or not, as far as I can see it's just a big list of 'games that we would quite like to play' (or that's the idea at least) so it kind of serves its purpose really. Although of course the final decision over whether particular games are suitable to be played does lie with the mods

To be honest it's probably best to keep this reasonably simple. Harry's idea is incredibly well thought through and very good but I don't know if it really needs to be as involved as that. I think the fact we've already played 77 games and now got a list of over 100 more we could still play (without delving into the wonderful world of PD) is something of a success in itself.
Old 05 December 2012, 15:11   #11
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Harry took me up on the offer of opening up his own thread. Good for him. In light of that, this thread is now closed. All participants wishing to take part in the League, please visit the Lemon Site.

In the meantime, please check out Harry's new Open Ranking thread.
Thanks.

Last edited by lifeschool; 07 December 2012 at 15:27.