Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 23 January 2023, 09:50   #1
Photon

Mouse uncaptured after Alt-Tabbing back to WinUAE

I have to click every time.

Happens using Quickstart default config which I think have these as default:

Untrap=middle button check
Start mouse uncaptured unchecked

I'm unsure how to supply the default Host config. Is there anywhere I can read which Host config is used with a certain config?

Neither the default Quickstart config or whatever Host config it uses is available as a file within the WinUAE folder as far as I can see. I've made a best effort of attaching config+Host config used when it happens.

I've tried Minimize on Lost Focus checked, but same behavior.

WinUAE 4.10.0
Win7x64
Attached Files
File Type: zip TestToniTmp.zip (5.6 KB, 48 views)
Old 28 January 2023, 16:21   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Misc -> "Automatically capture mouse when window is activated" set?
Old 28 January 2023, 16:47   #3
Photon

Ah. It doesn't take effect if you tick it, overwriting the config and re-launching WinUAE and reopening the config fixes it.

Another wish: When you have alt-tabbed away, you don't always remember if you had the GUI open or not. Which means when you go back to the emulation window, you have to find the GUI window and close it to continue (GUI window is not shown when switching back to emulation window).

Is there a way to, when you switch to the emulation window, do one of:
1. Close the GUI window
2. Activate the GUI window instead
3. Show the GUI window

There's "GUI window always on top", which will alert me when I leave the emulation window, but it also covers all or part of the emulation window. I will use that for now, but sometimes you need to see, e.g. list a folder and navigate to some file using the PC file system.

Switching windows for normal apps e.g. when surfing to a page, check chat or change song is a bit messy also for normal desktop apps, but only a few have multiple windows like this. IDEs typically bring all windows to front when one of them is switched to.
Old 29 January 2023, 16:12   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

What about bringing GUI on top when double clicking on emulation window? (Single click would be annoying).
Old 29 January 2023, 22:17   #5
Photon

I think the expectation from the user would be one of two things (from switching to the emulation window):
1. I want to emulate now. (Close the other WinUAE windows.)
3. I consider WinUAE an IDE with several windows open, and I want all of them showing when I switch to one of them.

1. could be incompatible with a GUI window with e.g. a file requester open, so maybe it's difficult to do. There's no unsaved work to save before closing, or at least I've not been unable to click OK from any of the tabs.

3. should be possible, but maybe you don't get an event for the emulation window getting focus?

A solution with an event would be better than the currently only solution, i.e. GUI always on top, because obviously this covers the window(s) you were Alt-Tabbing to get to to begin with.

At first I thought: If an event is required, how about combining it with middle-click? This function also used to lose focus from the emulation window (and only that: it's not useful for much else than resizing the emulation window, which you can already do if the GUI is open.

Unfortunately F12 doesn't bring GUI to front if already open. Otherwise you could have a "toggle GUI" on middle-click or F12 if third mousebutton used by emulated software.

Then you could learn to always hit F12+Esc after alt-tabbing back, without stopping and realizing emulation is paused by the GUI. Bit annoying yes, but easier than remembering to never have the GUI open before switching away from emulation.

Closing GUI on single click would make sense same behavior as when using middle-click to unfocus pointer. You would see that the emulation window has the Windows pointer active, and expect to do the same as for the middle-click option to regain focus.

I guess once you've made your configs, you only have to go into the GUI to handle removable media (e.g. eject or swap floppies). If that handling could be in some OSD (now we are in imagination territory! ), I guess most of the reasons for pressing F12 are gone and so OT would almost never occur.