English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 27 August 2011, 11:59   #1
madman

New drivers for Turboprint?

I've been trying to get my Canon Pixma iP4500 to work from my 1200 across the network to no avail. I have the printer attached to my router which has an inbuilt print server.

I use a registered copy of Turboprint 7.4 and I have also tried a copy of 7.6 with its printer drivers and I cannot make it print. I am using the netpar.device quite happily and can see communication from the amiga to the printer in so much as when a print is sent the printer switches on and then does nothing. Also the BJCutility works across the network and I can send the commands to do for example a test print, but actually printing text from a notepad document or WW7 etc does not work. I assume this will be due to the driver not being right for the printer. I have tried a number of different canon drivers within turboprint and no luck so far.

My question is, has anyone successfully managed to find a print driver that works with the Pixma range of printers? Failing that, just how does one go about creating a new driver? Is it even possible?
Old 27 August 2011, 13:32   #2
clauddio
Banned

last turboprint 7.60 was done in 2004
the canon pixma series were done after
so do not expect that turboprint will work with those printers
Old 27 August 2011, 14:17   #3
madman

Quote:
Originally Posted by clauddio View Post
last turboprint 7.60 was done in 2004
the canon pixma series were done after
so do not expect that turboprint will work with those printers
I know that, but it is often the case that one series of drivers will work to some extent with other printers. I was just wondering if anybody had found one that worked because as of yet I haven't but I haven't tried them all yet.
Old 27 August 2011, 22:15   #4
clauddio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
I know that, but it is often the case that one series of drivers will work to some extent with other printers. I was just wondering if anybody had found one that worked because as of yet I haven't but I haven't tried them all yet.
generally on turboprint ...a driver can work on other printer but inside the group of series
for example the driver for the epson 400 will work with the epson 440 and maybe with the 600...however there is a different drivers for them ...idem for the canon bj series ..
if you want a great printer for your amiga get by second hand an epson photo 1270 or 1290...are monsters that cost a fortune in the time and the photo quality of those printers using 6 colors is amazing....
maybe you can find one cheap right now...will work on turboprint very fine
Old 28 August 2011, 00:00   #5
madman

Quote:
Originally Posted by clauddio View Post
....if you want a great printer for your amiga get by second hand an epson photo 1270 or 1290...are monsters that cost a fortune in the time and the photo quality of those printers using 6 colors is amazing....
maybe you can find one cheap right now...will work on turboprint very fine
Thanks for the advice but I am quite happy with the Canon I have now. It is an excellent printer and the ink costs are far cheaper than any epson. I don't have room for another printer and to be honest it isn't for how much use it will get from the amiga. Anything I need to print from the amiga can be saved on to my server, accessed from the PC and printed from there. A bit more hassle maybe but one I can live with. It would have been nice though to add that final piece of functionality to my amiga if I could.