English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 27 February 2020, 19:18   #41
Mick

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvctech View Post
My mistake, I meant one of the joystick connector pads is missing (see attached screenshot from AmigaPCB - not sure if CD32Freak might've already fixed this in his Gerbers). Looks like you fixed it in your version.
Oh I see, it shows up as a via once imported into Kicad so I'm not sure what is going on there but anyway with the connectors I just aligned my own footprints using pin 1 locations. I decided to stick to data sheets for most footprints rather than emulating Commodore's more pin the tail on the donkey approach.
Old 27 February 2020, 22:10   #42
rvctech

Hi CD32Freak,

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD32Freak View Post
@rvctech
The tool I'm using (FAB3000) imports PDF using Ghostscript (specifically the gsdll32.dll) and that is free, maybe that could help you further creating your own conversion tool

There is also a free Perl script called pdf2gerb, but that didn't work for me:
https://github.com/swannman/pdf2gerb

Someone else also wrote a PDF to Gerber converter for his Minimoog replica, but he doesn't want to release the code:
https://inaptlycrafted.blogspot.com/...converter.html

The CD32 is the only board I fixed with Sprint-Layout and the others are direct conversions from amigapcb. It could be that the SVG data is not properly converted from the original Commodore files Scrat used
Ghostscript is used to process PostScript (PS) files, a precursor to PDF files. Unfortunately I don't think it is much use for SVG -> Gerber (in my process I don't convert to PDF). My process aimed to convert from SVG directly to Gerber, that was the tool I originally looked for (and considered to do myself, but no time for now). Gerber could be considered to be a subset of SVG (in terms of concept anyway).

What I personally did, was to convert from SVG -> DXF -> Native PCB
Old 28 February 2020, 06:18   #43
CD32Freak

Okay, I understand, that's what I also wanted to do at first, but I couldn't find the right tool. So I looked for an alternative and that was HTML with SVG data -> PDF -> Gerber
After searching a little further I have found PCBmodE, it has a Python script called gerber.py to convert SVG to Gerber
Old 28 February 2020, 07:54   #44
rvctech

Quote:
Okay, I understand, that's what I also wanted to do at first, but I couldn't find the right tool. So I looked for an alternative and that was HTML with SVG data -> PDF -> Gerber
After searching a little further I have found PCBmodE, it has a Python script called gerber.py to convert SVG to Gerber

I took a look at PCBModE at the time, and for some reason I wasn't happy with the result or I could not get it to work . I will look at it again!

Last edited by rvctech; 28 February 2020 at 08:36.
Old 28 February 2020, 08:24   #45
CD32Freak

There is also an Inkscape extension called Svg2Shenzhen for exporting SVG to Kicad PCB
Old 28 February 2020, 10:39   #46
rvctech

Quote:
There is also an Inkscape extension called Svg2Shenzhen for exporting SVG to Kicad PCB

Yes I saw that too, but I don't use Kicad . Does it even work? Quite a few of these obscure third party extensions that I looked at in Inkscape, end up not being maintained or are broken (there was even a Gerber output plugin at one stage!).
Old 10 March 2020, 19:29   #47
Mick

I've been studying this some more, I found some more missing via's and 2B and later boards have a few more power traces around the ROM area. This board definitely seems to be a slightly unfinished revision, whether it still work or not though I have no idea.

Last edited by Mick; 10 March 2020 at 19:34.
Old 11 March 2020, 17:26   #48
CD32Freak

Oh well, it was a fun exercise after the CD32 Rev4.1 conversion
Old 11 March 2020, 17:59   #49
Mick

I've used photos of a 2B to make the minor modifications needed to complete it the hardest part is finding differences, I've basically had to tick off vias one by one. The missing power traces near the ROM were just linking up the rails it's not like any logic has missing power and the other missing via's were in ground stitching.

I just have to find out definitively if the A600 was 2 layer or 4 layers now? has anyone verified with a physical board?
Old 12 March 2020, 17:19   #50
CD32Freak

In Sprint Layout you can put an image of a board behind the layer and check missing for vias or traces faster. That's how John "Chucky" Hertell designed his Re-Amiga 1200: http://wordpress.hertell.nu/?p=587
Old 12 March 2020, 18:34   #51
Mick

Yeah I remember reading, I don't think Kicad has anything like that though and by the time I've figured it out I'd might as well have just done it checking one by one. There doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between 2A and 2B the biggest changes are in the top left area.
Old 16 March 2020, 14:12   #52
Mick

Does anyone have a duff 2B board they can donate to me? were they only released in North America or what?
Old 17 March 2020, 16:55   #53
Mick

Or alternatively can anyone take some really high res shots of top and bottom? it's so that I can read resistor values.
Old 21 March 2020, 13:16   #54
CUF

I don't know if you're aware of this site but i've used it "https://www.amigapcb.org" alot to repair my amigas. You have all resistor and capacitor values.

It's a rev2A a600 but i've repaired my rev 1.3 with it.

Envoyé de mon SM-G975W en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 22 March 2020, 18:11   #55
CD32Freak

Wow, what a great site. I never knew something like amigapcb.org existed!..lol..sorry CUF, I couldn't resist Did you read the first post of this thread?
Old 23 March 2020, 16:09   #56
CUF

No

Envoyé de mon SM-G975W en utilisant Tapatalk
Old 24 March 2020, 20:06   #57
Mick

Thanks for trying to help anyway. The reason I asked is I wanted to see 2B specifically as there seems to be variations in all of the revisions. I think Amiga PCB just copied the values from the (rev. 2D) schematics with a few changes of their own rather than any physical board? 2D seems to be slightly more different than 2A/2B as it looks like they used different size footprints.

Last edited by Mick; 24 March 2020 at 20:25.
Old 24 March 2020, 22:26   #58
rvctech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Thanks for trying to help anyway. The reason I asked is I wanted to see 2B specifically as there seems to be variations in all of the revisions. I think Amiga PCB just copied the values from the (rev. 2D) schematics with a few changes of their own rather than any physical board? 2D seems to be slightly more different than 2A/2B as it looks like they used different size footprints.
AmigaPCB used Commodore's original Gerber files, since these files have no information about components in them, they definitely would have had to take the information from a BOM or later revision as you say. There was likely never a Rev 2A board either (probably just an internal prototype at Commodore).

I looked at a Rev 2B that someone else had, and compared it to a Rev 1.5, and many of the EMI parts do change between the revisions. But apart from signal integrity issues, the values of these parts are not super important.
Old 30 March 2020, 00:09   #59
Mick

Alright thanks rvctech.

Well I've uploaded the files to the zone if anyone wants to give them a try, the routing should be identical to a 2B board. I left out the internal layers trusting that the original boards were 2 layer.
Old 06 May 2020, 20:18   #60
Ceason87

rvctech

what do you mean by "many of the EMI parts do change between the revisions. But apart from signal integrity issues, the values of these parts are not super important."

As I have a Rev 1.5 board and it seems identical to the files Mick has uploaded that are Rev 2B.

Am I correct in assuming you mean that they changed some of the parts for ones which are better quality and that's basically it?

Best Regards
Chris