English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 March 2021, 17:01   #41
PDrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigalAmigan View Post
So it is the controller board of the external enclosure used for the Gotek/Flashfloppy drive that is causing the issue only when using 3x drives you say?
I'd say so based on the multiple configurations I tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigalAmigan View Post
Also I just wonder if you have tried 3x external floppys on your Escom (1D4) Amiga 1200 switching out the "known problematic drive" for another one, and if so, did that solve the problem for you?
Leaving out the problem drive fixed everything. No matter had I 2 or 3 external drives, everything worked well if the problem drive wasn't there.
Old 24 March 2021, 19:25   #42
ProdigalAmigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDrill View Post
Leaving out the problem drive fixed everything. No matter had I 2 or 3 external drives, everything worked well if the problem drive wasn't there.
May I ask (if you know) which external floppy drive caused the problem (which make and model), and also which external floppy drive you used that worked well? I am asking so I have a reasonable idea what to look for when hunting for (another) external floppy drive on eBay or similar.....

Thanks again for bringing this to my attention.
Old 25 March 2021, 10:23   #43
PDrill

It's a Supradrive external floppy without any specific model number.
Old 03 February 2022, 20:54   #44
ProdigalAmigan

Eek I guess it must be the motherboard or something?

UPDATE years later....

I didn't mess around with this for a very long time but then I found a Cumana CAX-354 external floppy on eBay and I figured I could buy it and see if everything would work with that.

If it did then I could rule out other possible issues. Well turns out that the drive does work just fine as DF1: or DF2: but when I plug it (or the Gotek) in as DF3: (daisychained through the back of the drives (DF1->DF2->DF3) then the drives throw Read/Write errors in when Verify destination is checked in X-Copy (or elsewhere).

Making a copy of a disk without Verify it looks to finish okay, but trying to boot off of it or looking at it in Workbench it shows up as unreadable. Wondering if it could be because my Amiga 1200 is an Escom model (motherboard 1D4) ....

Is there any way around this? (I have seen a solution where you plug the drives in individually into a board that plugs into the external drive port of the Amiga instead of daisychaining them... I don't know if that would even work (if they still exist) .... or I'll just have to give up on my dream of having a fully decked out Amiga 1200.... 1x physical external drive and 1x Gotek is enough after all.... just 3x external drives would have been helpful in certain games. :-)

Kindest regards.

Any thoughts or ideas