English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 14 November 2010, 09:19   #81
ami_junkie

This pack is really a great idea, if there is anyway that I can help in making this pack a reality please fee free to ask me.

Old 14 November 2010, 12:42   #82
Cammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk3heg View Post
err Cammy. You are using a Amiga Fourm now. Ask the guys that run eab if they could create a area on here for you, even if it was a sub section of the clasicwb area.
I'm aware this is an Amiga forum, but that doesn't make it the ideal place for me to host my projects. I haven't seen you posting much before so I guess you haven't seen how much people dislike me around here. I don't want to push my luck by asking to host a project so similar to something that's already loved and appreciated and risk causing any bad feelings with the few people who don't hate me yet.

After I finish learning to program in AmigaE I plan on learning PHP so I can finally start a new forum where all productive Amiga users are welcome, without any previous biases, where they can work together on projects like this and the games we stopped making.
Old 14 November 2010, 17:56   #83
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
what !! as far as I am concerned you one of the most passionate amiga users I`ve come across cammy, your insight full and help full, not to mention your christmas presents
Old 14 November 2010, 22:14   #84
Eclipse
Turpentine

HUH!
I thought everyone loved the Amiga Princess?
Seriously we all love you really (In a non stalkerish way).
Old 14 November 2010, 23:10   #85
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
I'm aware this is an Amiga forum, but that doesn't make it the ideal place for me to host my projects. I haven't seen you posting much before so I guess you haven't seen how much people dislike me around here. I don't want to push my luck by asking to host a project so similar to something that's already loved and appreciated and risk causing any bad feelings with the few people who don't hate me yet.
Cammy,

You're mistaken. Truly. Trust me on that.

EAB eagerly awaits your project...
Old 14 November 2010, 23:51   #86
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Cammy perhaps you should make the jump, but if it's gonna be a long way to go, perhaps you could make it step by step. For example a complete ModernWB Icons Pack, a guide and software to install a 16 colors setup, another for 4 colors, a ModernWBPack of selected games, a optimized pack of Workbench screens.......

Last edited by Retrofan; 15 November 2010 at 00:14.
Old 15 November 2010, 00:09   #87
Bloodwych

If you read back through this thread, you'll see only supporters have posted Cammy!

Could split the forum section into ClassicWB and ThemedWB. Yours being the themed one of course!

Please don't feel like you're treading on anyone's toes - read back my comments in this thread, I still feel the same. Plenty of support from others. These Workbench packs are for fun and anyone can release one. In fact, the more the better for everyone!
Old 16 November 2010, 07:26   #88
Cammy

Thanks for the support you guys, but I think it's my passion for the Amiga that annoys some people. In any case, while I'm flattered that you would let me post about these Workbench packs here on EAB, I still feel like starting a new forum not related to any one that exists, dedicated to Amiga projects like this that welcomes creative people from around the world. I'm not trying to be impolite, but there are a lot of valuable Amiga developers who have biases against or problems with the various existing Amiga forums and I feel the best solution is to start something new and fresh, because I don't believe the Amiga is dead, it's alive and well and gaining strength around the world again. A new Amiga project forum would be a place where people can learn how to program for the Amiga, use the various creativity programs, and work together on new software, games and themed distributions. The main problem with forums that exist now is they're kind of settled down, and infested with trolls (some forums more than others, EAB is still a pleasant place). They're like the pub or hangout you go to after work. What I'd like to make is a forum that's more like a school or workplace, dedicated to getting things done. I know that there are separate forums for the various programming languages scattered around the web, and of course there's UtilityBase which is mainly just for programming, but I still think a new forum that focuses more on group activities, learning and teaching is the way to go.

Over time I have made friends (and lost some, it seems) with lots of people around the world who want to join a place like this once it exists, and get lots of new Amiga stuff made, but none of us can program a forum in PHP. We don't want to use a template forum because we'd like it to be streamlined enough to work in IBrowse and AWeb on classic Amigas without looking terrible, because our focus is to create for the Amiga, not just use a new PC and remember the good old days of Amiga (not that there's anything wrong with that) so people will want to browse the forum while working on their own Amiga, which is what I do every day.

I don't mind starting a thread about these packs here, it's just that I really would like to move the project to a new forum if we can ever get it made. I don't really expect it to ever happen though, I can already feel the hate coming towards me for even suggesting making a new forum.
Old 16 November 2010, 09:33   #89
kriz

The pack is a great idea, whatever makes it done I will support.. But Eab is one of the most friendly Amiga places out there IMHO... Full support from me !!
Old 16 November 2010, 09:38   #90
vk3heg

Quote:
I'm aware this is an Amiga forum, but that doesn't make it the ideal place for me to host my projects. I haven't seen you posting much before so I guess you haven't seen how much people dislike me around here.
I come out from lurking enough to see what's going on with the political bullsh*t enough to know that it's just that bullsh*t!

I log into here every few day's depending on my workload to read the topic's and post if it's going to help someone. Most of the people on here seam to live here some days! IMHO

Quote:
I don't want to push my luck by asking to host a project so similar to something that's already loved and appreciated and risk causing any bad feelings with the few people who don't hate me yet.
As others have said, your 'addition' to classic wb is welcomed, and would only add to the overall product.

If people don't like what your doing etc, then they are the ones to lose. Just continue to do what you enjoy and get one with it. Stressing about what other people think of you is only going to make you suffer.

I've been in enough political bullsh*t fights in the past to know, to not even bother with it and just do what I want.

The session on the couch has now finished, please leave a parting Amiga gift on your way out the door, and if you think another appointment is needed then please make one with the front desk.

Quote:
After I finish learning to program in AmigaE I plan on learning PHP so I can finally start a new forum where all productive Amiga users are welcome, without any previous biases, where they can work together on projects like this and the games we stopped making.
If that's what you want to do... It's only going to fragment the existing community by having yet another website to go to. Having it here on EAB means that you don't have to:

1. Find a stable host.
2. Pay for the hosting.
3. Hack the crap out of an existing product or
4. Program the whole thing your self.
5. Wear the many hat's involved in hosting a site (been there done that.)

Cheers,
Stephen
Old 16 November 2010, 10:05   #91
Cammy

This is exactly why it's probably never going to happen.
Old 16 November 2010, 10:30   #92
kriz

To have your own host is maybe a good idea, news always gets posted to this forum anyway ... I think its best to do what you feel is the best, after all its your project.
Old 17 November 2010, 18:07   #93
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriz View Post
To have your own host is maybe a good idea, news always gets posted to this forum anyway ... I think its best to do what you feel is the best, after all its your project.
, -What you decide; but for the moderators opinions, it seems you could talk with them and make somekind of subforum with more or less restrictions to get into, till you (and the people joined) could go somewhere else.

For example you could divide that forum in two places: one for all the people and where they can be informed, asked, give opinnions, etc, and another like The Zone in which only a group could get into and share things... programs, opinions or whatever before they get to a public audience (me and the rest)... and in the first forum could be a Paypal icon where people could make a donation to support it.

Last edited by Retrofan; 18 November 2010 at 01:58.
Old 18 November 2010, 03:33   #94
Amiga1992

I don't know what you are talking about Cammy but EAB has to be the end-all be-all forum for Amiga, where certainly everyone gets along fine! We have the right balance of newish-amiga-users and the oldschoolers, gamers and programmers, a bit of everything!

I urge you to consider sticking around
Old 18 November 2010, 07:12   #95
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I don't know what you are talking about Cammy but EAB has to be the end-all be-all forum for Amiga, where certainly everyone gets along fine! We have the right balance of newish-amiga-users and the oldschoolers, gamers and programmers, a bit of everything!

I urge you to consider sticking around
Here, here, I second that Akira, please consider posting your Themed Based WB
Old 27 November 2010, 00:43   #96
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Cammy it's been a week since last post. Have you think how to go on with the ModernWB? You have much work on it, you aren't going to give it up, are you? (I know the answer is NO!). If you still have to solve it, leave this post without answer, we'll understand.
Old 15 January 2011, 18:41   #97
Bloodwych

I've moved the Cyberbugfix to its own thread because, er, I can! It was kind of pulling this thread off-topic (my fault). Rules to be mod!

It's here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=57250
Old 15 January 2011, 19:13   #98
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Hi Bloodwych, I'm sorry about the two different palettes, I really shouldn't have spread it around before it was ready. Rebel has only recently finished adjusting the palette, and made it much better than it was earlier, even though the differences are very slight, the results in the games, programs, icons, GUIs and remapped images are apparent. Here are the links to the final palette for each program:

FullPalette - http://home.exetel.com.au/amiga/FullPalette.prefs
Scalos - http://home.exetel.com.au/amiga/ScalosPalette.pre
ImageStudio - http://home.exetel.com.au/amiga/Workbench16.palette

I'm really sorry for the confusion.
Cammy I have installed ClassicWB ADVSP, it uses Scalos. When you posted this links in that time I realiced that the one of Scalos doesn't work. Is there a way to upload it?
Old 15 January 2011, 20:47   #99
Cammy

The Scalos palette link works just fine, you're just using a crap browser.
Old 15 January 2011, 21:01   #100
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

You're right Cammy. I've could in the Amiga. Never could in the PC.
I'm going to try it in CWADVSP. By now, I've got Wifi internet on it.

Done in part. Which is the following size smaller than 640x512?
For what I've seen, in Image Studio you can't use the Scalos palette (or prefs), but the other you gave for workbench. I resized the image and applied the floyd-dithering. As I use Scalos for what I've seen I only need to save the preferences of it in the upper bar from your Scalos link. By now it's going great. Let me change size and try anothers...

Last edited by Retrofan; 16 January 2011 at 00:05.