English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 11 January 2011, 20:04   #1
Welshieinnz

Will we see UAE on the PS3?

So, now that the PS3 has been opened up to homebrew, what are the chances we will see UAE (or some version) running on the PS3?

Would be awesome truth be told
Old 11 January 2011, 20:50   #2
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

yes.
Old 11 January 2011, 20:56   #3
PaulyQ

not an expert on PS3 but Linux with UAE should be the order of the day methinks, didn't linux run before Sony took away the "other OS" option?
Old 11 January 2011, 21:01   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulyQ View Post
didn't linux run before Sony took away the "other OS" option?
Yes.
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 11 January 2011, 21:18   #5
Dreedo

Well linux has already been shown to be workiong on the PS3 via homebrew, unfortunately its far from perfect and has some bad side effects. Also the risk of bricking your PS3 seems quite high at the moment, many developers are holding back releasing due to the severe issues that could crop up if everyone got hold of it.

It would make more sense to just get Linux on the PS3 working and everyone use E-UAE rather than make UAE for the PS3, thats what i used to do before Sony removed Linux.
Old 11 January 2011, 21:57   #6
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshieinnz View Post
what are the chances
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
yes.
Awesome!

I hear there is a yes chance of rain tomorrow too

It'll happen (UAE on PS3), probably sooner rather than later.
Old 11 January 2011, 22:20   #7
Dreedo

Well Linux is due to be back on PS3 this month, so everyone will have it then.
Old 11 January 2011, 23:09   #8
Welshieinnz

To be honest, it would be eve better if we could have it WITHOUT having to run via Linux, as in on the old Xbox.
Old 11 January 2011, 23:13   #9
Dreedo

Possibly, but im guessing E-UAE compatability would be much higher than making one for the PS3, in the long-run it'd probably work out better, but the main reason behind homebrew on the PS3 is Linux, thats why they hacked it in the first place, so most likely Linux will get all the attention when it comes out.
Old 11 January 2011, 23:16   #10
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshieinnz View Post
To be honest, it would be eve better if we could have it WITHOUT having to run via Linux, as in on the old Xbox.
That could happen.
Old 11 January 2011, 23:32   #11
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreedo View Post
Possibly, but im guessing E-UAE compatability would be much higher than making one for the PS3, in the long-run it'd probably work out better, but the main reason behind homebrew on the PS3 is Linux, thats why they hacked it in the first place, so most likely Linux will get all the attention when it comes out.
I think you're wrong there my friend. There is already a bunch of "signed" homebrew including Snes and Megadrive emulators. It's not going to be long before someone compiles UAE for the PS3.

Let's also be honest while some people want Linux on their PS3 the main reason there's so much interest is because of pirating.
Old 11 January 2011, 23:50   #12
Dreedo

Quote:
Let's also be honest while some people want Linux on their PS3 the main reason there's so much interest is because of pirating.
While this is true the Ps3 is hardly an ideal system for this.

As it uses Blu-ray, its games are exceptionally large, a standard internet connection using a torrent would take several days to download a blu-ray image, then you would have to have a USB device large enough to store a 25/50GB blu-ray image. I'm guessing most people couldn't be arsed with that.

True, but i just want Linux back. :P
Old 11 January 2011, 23:57   #13
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

USB Device? There will be an ISO-Loader, which works from the internal HD. That's for sure.
Old 12 January 2011, 00:00   #14
Dreedo

Mmmm yeah but then you have to plug your HDD into your PC, and then unplug it and plug it into your PS3 for every image file you transfer, plus it'll need to be at least 250GB+ to be worth using.

Anyway i'd never use it for pirating, so i'll always come up with some reason why it's impractical. :P
Old 12 January 2011, 00:57   #15
seuden
uber cool demi god

The games can and will be able to be stored and played from the internal and an external HDD. Call of Duty: Black Ops for eg. is around 14GB. Using usenet/private torrents you could have that overnight. You don't need to plug the HDD into your PC they can be transferred using a USB HDD or even using your home network.

I have over 20 games for my PS3 of which could be backed up to it then at a push of a button on my controller I could swap between games without getting off my sofa. It's similar to having a load of WHDLoad installs on your Amiga.

Last edited by seuden; 12 January 2011 at 01:02.
Old 12 January 2011, 08:21   #16
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Some things.. I run my backups from external hd (1tb). I have ripped around 6 games, the largest was 20gb and the average size is nearer 12gb.

I don't think that makes it very hard to download and run pirated games.
Old 12 January 2011, 09:09   #17
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I have a 250G Slim and its very tempting for some homebrew indeed!

I have no need to blag PS3 games, since I get most of mine on the cheap from Game or Cash Converters (last purchase was Brutal Legends for £4.99 - sweet sweet game) !

Although there are a couple of (older) PS3 titles that dont support a Hard Disk install, and I want to preserve my BluRay laser =)

So when will I get mine sorted? well to be honest, probably when some smart plug gives me PS1/PS2 emulator that will run ISO's from the drive (or preferably network) then I can be very chuffed indeed - and promptly look at getting a the largest 2.5" Harddisk I can find or yet another 2TB HD for the network!

I would like to have a little play with *nix distro on it, as well as DosBox/C64/Specky/SNES/Megadrive/32x/MegaCD/MAME/NeoGeo/CPS1/CSP2/GBA/N64 to name a few...

be absolutely great if there was a GameCube emulator released for it - and dare I say XBMC ? renamed to PSMC =D))

small things....
Old 12 January 2011, 11:05   #18
Vairn
The Grim-Button

I'll let you know tomorrow, once my friend with a PS3 gets back to me with some info.
Old 12 January 2011, 11:38   #19
deicidal
Registered Insane

Well I am running my PS3 with a 500GB HDD in it, I think anyone with children will appreciate the ability to back the games up, plus its more convienant than swapping disks and less wear and tear on the BR drive. Personally on those little picture of do's and dont's for optimal perfomance they have a picture of a child rubbing there dirty mits accross the disk with a cross through it.

But I am looking forward to emulator capabilities of the PS3 now its been pretty much completely hacked, think it could well end up been the new xbox for emulation but I think we are bit off that yet until the hombrew devs start to really get into the capabilities of the console.

Last edited by deicidal; 12 January 2011 at 11:42. Reason: forgot to the point of why I was posting duh!
Old 12 January 2011, 14:37   #20
Dreedo

Unfortunately even if you own the game backups are still illegal, as your making copies of the disk. Not that Sony will ever know that. :P I certainly dont see anything wrong in it if you already own the game. If my disk broke i would be glad of a copy, luckily blu-ray disks are stronger than DVD's it seems.

UPDATE: Seems that Sony have filed a restraining order against Geohot and Failoverflow asking them to remove the firmware and key from the internet.

UPDATE#2: It appears that in the terms and conditions, Sony have the right to disable your console if they feel the need. So far no consoles have been affected, but its expected that Sony will ban consoles running CFW and possibly stop them from booting up anymore. Removing an internet connection from your PS3 will solve this, but if you have CFW on your PS3 and its connected to the internet, when you boot up, it will tell Sony that you are running a hacked console.

Last edited by Dreedo; 12 January 2011 at 14:54.