English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 17 November 2020, 02:55   #141
Tsak
Pixelglass/Reimagine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCaravage View Post
Right, dualplayfield. 1 extra color ? I'm afraid to not understand, please could you explain more deeply because I've no idea how to use it.
Well, the general idea is that you generate and store masks for your bobs and then use these masks to indicate the transparent pixels per frame. Doing so will release one color from your palette to be used normally, instead of using it for transparency.
A fellow coder here could give you more details about that.
Perhaps worth a try because 1 extra color is quite precious, especially in the case of dual playfield palettes that are already way too limiting.

*Note that the above can only be done with bobs though, so if you are using sprites, you still need color(s) reserved for transparency in the sprites palette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeCaravage View Post
You're not the only one asking it, Ralph and Adrien have the same opinion than you. 3 graphic men vs me : I have to accept defeat. I had asked them to not add that because of tight memory restriction. Will add it but not with extra animation for each monster. Need to overlay an external generic animation. That means more blitter operations.
Yup, RAM restrictions was my guess as well. I believe anyway you could add this (even with compromises in the anim itself) will help a lot. This anim has a dual purpose btw:
1) It helps gameplay by visualising how much an enemy is covered (so how more covering he needs and how much time there is before he uncovers himself - if left half covered)
2) Plus, as an effect it enhances the attack feel (because you have a visual cue and feedback while covering him). Without it the act of attacking/covering up your opponents (which is the cornerstone of the game) feels way weaker.

Note also that another way you could add this anim (which could save you a few blits) is to have one generic 'covering up' anim for all enemies. At least for the last couple frames where most of the enemy detail will -anyhow- be gone.
Old 17 November 2020, 10:47   #142
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
I think Amiga Bill is the one who shares the right opinion about the game, not some anonymous internet trolls Nori. Bill loves Bros from gameplay and I love it from his video.
Old 17 November 2020, 15:59   #143
Bren McGuire

I am happy to see you will continue with your game. but also sad to see the fragility of this scene. all it takes is a few bad comments to make things go away?

gotta keep on brother.
Old 17 November 2020, 20:48   #144
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren McGuire View Post
I am happy to see you will continue with your game. but also sad to see the fragility of this scene. all it takes is a few bad comments to make things go away?

gotta keep on brother.
I understood that it happen not only on the Amiga scene, however the smaller the scene the higher the damage negative comments do, and let's be honest: Amiga retrodevelopers are VERY few right now, maybe no more than 10/20; how many people on other systems?
Old 17 November 2020, 20:53   #145
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
I understood that it happen not only on the Amiga scene, however the smaller the scene the higher the damage negative comments do, and let's be honest: Amiga retrodevelopers are VERY few right now, maybe no more than 10/20; how many people on other systems?
8bit scene seems to be very alive, especially for C64 and Spectrum. It is of course easier to develop for those when the whole game can be made by one man and modern tools help a lot.

I am really happy with everyone who develops for Amiga and trying to support these as much as possible. Thank you all!