English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 05 January 2022, 23:58   #1
reflex

AmigaOS 3.2 SmartFileSystem partitions and mounter

Hello,

I have an Amiga 1200 with original 3.2 rom and blizzard 1230, i sucessfully installed AmigaOS 3.2 in the interna drive that is fully PFS formatted, i have another Amiga witt 3.1 roms that has a SFS formatted hard drive, i wanted to copy some files (tosec and archives, a lot of gigabytes) so I plugged it on the secondary channel of the IDE splitter but when I try to mount is using the mounter tool i only get the message "object is not of required type".
Is there any way to mount those drives to copy the files?
Old 06 January 2022, 00:13   #2
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

Do you have SFS installed on your system with OS 3.2? I don't believe that SFS is available out of box with 3.2.
Old 06 January 2022, 01:03   #3
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldacid View Post
Do you have SFS installed on your system with OS 3.2? I don't believe that SFS is available out of box with 3.2.
It is not necessary to install SFS, the SFS installation only serves HDtoolBox to initialize an HD into SFS, then the SFS file can also be uninstalled from the HD.

Probably the reflex user will have problems with the hardware connection, but he could use WinUAE to transfer the data.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 14 January 2022 at 18:38.
Old 06 January 2022, 01:31   #4
idrougge

The drive should be auto-mounted, not requiring any »Mounter« tool. How exactly is it connected?

You could also try running GiggleDisk to see if it recognises any partitions.
Old 06 January 2022, 11:57   #5
Daedalus

I'm also curious about the IDE splitter - some of these need funky drivers to work properly. What drives do you have? Can you connect them both on the same cable as master and slave instead?

As was said, SFS doesn't need to be included with the OS for the drive to be mountable - it just needs to be installed in the drive's RDB, and that should be the case (but can be checked with HDToolbox).
Old 06 January 2022, 16:38   #6
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
it just needs to be installed in the drive's RDB
Well, it needs to be installed in any drive's RDB, not necessarily in its own. If the transfer drive is a second drive in its original machine and the first drive there has SFS in its RDB, the transfer drive would mount, too. But if you now move that drive to another machine which does not have SFS on its first drive, then the partitons won't mount. It's always a good idea to install file systems on all drives which use them, even if it does not seem to be necessary.
Old 22 January 2022, 20:32   #7
Michael
A1260T/PPC/BV/SCSI/NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Well, it needs to be installed in any drive's RDB, not necessarily in its own. If the transfer drive is a second drive in its original machine and the first drive there has SFS in its RDB, the transfer drive would mount, too. But if you now move that drive to another machine which does not have SFS on its first drive, then the partitons won't mount. It's always a good idea to install file systems on all drives which use them, even if it does not seem to be necessary.

This is probably the case here, it is also possible that the FS is installed but with a wrong ID and that can cause confusions too.
Old 12 December 2022, 22:29   #8
mech

Has anyone figured this out? I am using a Scsi card reader on a AA3000+ with os3.2.1 and i cannot get mounter to mount SFS partitions,even though SFS is in the rdb and L:
Old 13 December 2022, 00:08   #9
AMIGASYSTEM

SFS partitions do not need mounting, probably the problem is somewhere else, did you set the right values on HDToolBox?

[ Show youtube player ]