English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.AmigaOS

Old 04 January 2022, 02:37   #1
Malakie

At a complete and utter loss of ideas on this one....

Hi,

As some know, I am slowly getting back into Amiga after a long absence. I have chosen to go with OS 3.2 and learning its changes etc.

But I am having a problem that I cannot for the life of me figure out how it is even happening, let alone fixing it.

I setup and install an HD. In this case a 200 meg SCSI drive OR I change it out and use a 500 meg IDE drive. Either will see this issue that I am having.

I install OS 3.2 clean from the disks. Nothing else to start with. I then boot and reboot as I set up the desktop before then installing a couple programs of ANY kind. For this let's say I installed Directory Opus 4.12, Cygnus Ed 4.x, SysInfo, DiskSalv 4.x and also a couple games, say XCOM for a newer game and Brigade Commander for an older game.

I reboot the computer. Now the next time the machine boots, 80% of all executable files are now somehow not executable. It boots to CLI and states errors saying such and such file is not executable. It could be ANY file, it is never the same file for each attempt to setup the system.

This time it might be AddDataTypes but the next time it might be Assign or even Dir or some other file in WBStartup even.

Sometimes I can manually load WB, sometimes not depending on what corrupted. If WB does load, I might be able to load HD toolbox but not Textedit or maybe I can load textedit but not HDToolbox.

Every file that won't load is the same error, file is not executable.

Additionally, if I use the original floppies and copy a whatever file over to the HD manually, the file STILL remains not executable from the harddrive even though it loads fine on the floppy. IF I remove the file and copy, it works for a while until it again ends up non executable.

Specs:

A2000 Rev 6, 68000, 8 Meg Ram, OS 3.2, Either an A2091 SCSI HD or an IDE HD on a card from AmiKit store. ECS Agnus, ECS Denise. Dual floppy. Normal video output.

I am at a complete and utter loss on this one. It makes me think the machine is not validating files properly on copy or something but I have no idea why or what would call this.

Anyone else ever seen anything like this?
Old 04 January 2022, 03:21   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakie View Post
Hi,

As some know, I am slowly getting back into Amiga after a long absence. I have chosen to go with OS 3.2 and learning its changes etc.

But I am having a problem that I cannot for the life of me figure out how it is even happening, let alone fixing it.

I setup and install an HD. In this case a 200 meg SCSI drive OR I change it out and use a 500 meg IDE drive. Either will see this issue that I am having.

I install OS 3.2 clean from the disks. Nothing else to start with. I then boot and reboot as I set up the desktop before then installing a couple programs of ANY kind. For this let's say I installed Directory Opus 4.12, Cygnus Ed 4.x, SysInfo, DiskSalv 4.x and also a couple games, say XCOM for a newer game and Brigade Commander for an older game.

I reboot the computer. Now the next time the machine boots, 80% of all executable files are now somehow not executable. It boots to CLI and states errors saying such and such file is not executable. It could be ANY file, it is never the same file for each attempt to setup the system.

This time it might be AddDataTypes but the next time it might be Assign or even Dir or some other file in WBStartup even.

Sometimes I can manually load WB, sometimes not depending on what corrupted. If WB does load, I might be able to load HD toolbox but not Textedit or maybe I can load textedit but not HDToolbox.

Every file that won't load is the same error, file is not executable.

Additionally, if I use the original floppies and copy a whatever file over to the HD manually, the file STILL remains not executable from the harddrive even though it loads fine on the floppy. IF I remove the file and copy, it works for a while until it again ends up non executable.

Specs:

A2000 Rev 6, 68000, 8 Meg Ram, OS 3.2, Either an A2091 SCSI HD or an IDE HD on a card from AmiKit store. ECS Agnus, ECS Denise. Dual floppy. Normal video output.

I am at a complete and utter loss on this one. It makes me think the machine is not validating files properly on copy or something but I have no idea why or what would call this.

Anyone else ever seen anything like this?
Have you checked the max transfer value in HDtoolbox?
Old 04 January 2022, 03:32   #3
Malakie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Have you checked the max transfer value in HDtoolbox?

What do you recommend.. have had all sorts of numbers given out. I think I was using 0x1fe00 or something close to that.. forgot off the top for the moment what it is now..

EDIT: Actually, I just completed another test only this time used a SCSI CF card first then just now an IDE version using a CF card as well. Both exhibit the same behavior.

Last edited by Malakie; 04 January 2022 at 03:49.
Old 04 January 2022, 03:52   #4
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
What do you recommend.. have had all sorts of numbers given out. I think I was using 0x1fe00 or something close to that.. forgot off the top for the moment what it is now..

EDIT: Actually, I just completed another test only this time used a SCSI CF card first then just now an IDE version using a CF card as well. Both exhibit the same behavior.
Got a spare PSU? Might be an old and dying PSU
Old 04 January 2022, 04:04   #5
Malakie

Quote:
Got a spare PSU? Might be an old and dying PSU
Yep already tried.. this is a motherboard that had some issues I have been repairing. And that also had a bad power supply which I replaced etc etc.. and now am on a 3rd power supply because my other good one the board blew due to some of the other problems I have since repaired.

Board has been working perfectly for a few days now except for this one problem, and I have never seen this problem before even while at CBM.

How it can install and work fine for a few boot ups then after I install something else randomly, everything becomes unexecutable... makes no sense to me at all.
Old 04 January 2022, 04:30   #6
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Tried a virus scan in case something at install time is infected?
Old 04 January 2022, 23:48   #7
Malakie

Quote:
Tried a virus scan in case something at install time is infected?
Not sure how that would even be possible. Disks are original sealed when I got them plus I can also use the CD. Nothing else on the drives as they are cleaned, formatted, and partitioned by me.

Is there a recommended virus checker though? I did not realize that Amiga had that problem now too. What is the best one to use today?
Old 05 January 2022, 00:27   #8
coldacid
WinUAE 4000/40, V4SA

As long as it uses xvs.library, "best" virus checker is just a matter of taste.
Old 05 January 2022, 19:29   #9
Radical

Does this issue occur with the original rom /workbench?
Have your run Keir's system tests to confirm the 2000 is good? You say it has 8 meg ram but have not disclosed exactly what configuration your using. (there are no scsi cf cards as far as I know and IDE support only began with later models, so it's unclear to me what you've tried.)
Old 05 January 2022, 20:02   #10
Malakie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical View Post
Does this issue occur with the original rom /workbench?
Have your run Keir's system tests to confirm the 2000 is good? You say it has 8 meg ram but have not disclosed exactly what configuration your using. (there are no scsi cf cards as far as I know and IDE support only began with later models, so it's unclear to me what you've tried.)
I am not familiar with that software test kit you mentioned. Where do I get that and I can try it out.

Keep in mind ALL of these parts come from my other systems or have been used in those other machines without issue.

Does not occur on older kickstart or prior to OS 3.2 systems I have here.

You can use CF cards with a host card just like IDE versions only with the SCSI interface. You can also use SD and MicroSD cards as well. You should be familiar with the SCSI2SD cards used most commonly. There are a few out there that also allow the use of CF or other memory card types.

For this issue, I have tried the SCSI2SD variant, some off brand variants, all that use the same software SCSI2SD freeware software for configuration in fact.

8 Meg ram is when it is configured for SCSI, 2gb on the A2091, 4gb on the AmigaKit expander and another 2gb on an A2052 card.

On the IDE configuration when I try this, I am using only 6 Meg, not 8. The 4 meg AK card and the A2052 card.

I have found two ways that I can repro this quickly. First way is to run something like the Bench Clock, which I think is from 3.9? (NOTE I HAVE NOT installed 3.9 or any other files from it. Just tried the bench clock I had on a disk because I wanted to have a clock on the workbench if possible) If I copy the bench clock to this machine, it runs just fine but then a whole lot of other programs become unexecutable UNTIL I remove it again. Once I remove benchclock, those same files suddenly work again. Very odd.

The second way, is if I install my GVP 030 card and power it up. For some reason it get the drive errors the moment the drive opens a CLI window and goes to load workbench. And from there, again most files become not executable. In this case, I have to start over again.

So something is not working right, almost as if validation is not functioning correctly or something in the DMA channel is wigging out under certain conditions. Trying to troubleshoot that is not something I think is even possible as components appear to test out as best I can tell.
Old 05 January 2022, 20:46   #11
Daedalus

Have you tried providing the information requested here? Some of that information is fundamental to understanding what is going on, and might help people in this thread too.
Old 05 January 2022, 20:49   #12
Malakie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Have you tried providing the information requested here? Some of that information is fundamental to understanding what is going on, and might help people in this thread too.
Nope completely different system. And I just made it a OS 2.04 system and it now works just fine.
Old 06 January 2022, 01:16   #13
Radical

https://github.com/keirf/amiga-stuff
Old 06 January 2022, 01:24   #14
Malakie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical View Post
Thanks
Old 06 January 2022, 11:53   #15
Daedalus

Quote:
Nope completely different system. And I just made it a OS 2.04 system and it now works just fine.
Fair enough, the symptoms are very similar, as is the hardware setup, so similar troubleshooting and information gathering steps could be helpful.
Old 06 January 2022, 17:40   #16
Malakie

Quote:
Fair enough, the symptoms are very similar, as is the hardware setup, so similar troubleshooting and information gathering steps could be helpful.
No the symptoms are completely different. The first system was completely locking up the drive being transferred and filling the drive completely when it did then locking the machine up.

This one is just making files unexecutable but everything transfer without any errors or lockups or files being ballooned to fill an entire drive or partition.

And I have already posted more than once, the system specs.

A2000, rev6, 8 meg ram, KS/OS 3.2, A2091 using SCSI OR AmiKit IDE card with CF card and one added IDE drive. Unit contains ONE floppy and as needed, a connected Gotek drive.

The 'OR' means I have tried BOTH methods. There is nothing more to add. Fresh install of the OS, have tried it WITH install of IDEfix and without in both sessions, outside that nothing else is installed.

They are bare bones machines, parts have been swapped from other machines to confirm different things are functional.. from drives to power supplies to chips.

The OTHER board, a rev4 that had the file bloating to fill a drive system lock up issue, was the same setup except instead of the AmiKit IDE card, I was using a SCSI2SD card on an A2091 as well. Other than that, identical parts and pieces.

That system is now running without a single problem so far... after I downgraded the 3.2 rom and OS back to 2.04.

This current system, I am again trying to use 3.2 again. But this time, I get the file not exectuable error and never the same file. All bits have been checked and as I mentioned, I found two ways to repro it 99% of the time.

Why and for what reason that does that, I am stuck and at a loss. I may just put the 68030 card in this box and upgrade to 3.9 and see what happens because I am simply tired of trying to figure this out. The common thing between both these boards, is upgrading the kickstart to 3.2 and installing OS 3.2.

Version numbers are all the same so unless I was sold and sent some kind of bogus copy of KS and the CD of 3.2, I am at a loss as to what to do next.
Old 06 January 2022, 19:18   #17
Radical

Well the obvious question then is: did you buy the Rom from an authorized Hyperion distributor?
Old 06 January 2022, 20:25   #18
Daedalus

So drive corruption issues in Amiga 2000s using SCSI and IDE Zorro storage cards, but totally different. Got ya.

Files can become non-executable for a number of reasons, including filesystem corruption, loss of protection bits, memory corruption, bad data transfer / transfer corruption.

Good point about the ROM - which ROM is it, since you seemed to think you had two different ROMs at some point? And the requested output from the commands in the other thread would help with the diagnosis here too, which is why I mentioned them.
Old 09 January 2022, 22:59   #19
Malakie

Quote:
So drive corruption issues in Amiga 2000s using SCSI and IDE Zorro storage cards, but totally different. Got ya.

Files can become non-executable for a number of reasons, including filesystem corruption, loss of protection bits, memory corruption, bad data transfer / transfer corruption.

Good point about the ROM - which ROM is it, since you seemed to think you had two different ROMs at some point? And the requested output from the commands in the other thread would help with the diagnosis here too, which is why I mentioned them.
I may have figured out what is going on.. just replied in another thread to someone else also have problems similar to what I am seeing in some cases... here is what I posted:

I think I have figured out the problem.

Everything was fine UNTIL I introduced another hardware part to the Amiga after installed 3.2 and the 3.2 kickstart. And that other hardware part uses a different device than what the main drives do.

i.e., the HD's use FastFileSystem right now, on either IDE or SCSI. But when I add another device that uses a different file system, say FAT95 or something else, all the problems then start.

IF I remove that same device and the file system for that device, suddenly everything works again.. no more errors for copying files, no more suddenly non executable exe's etc.

Something is not right in KS 3.2 and/or OS 3.2, because I can change back to another OS and KS revision and this problem disappears, as I have said quite a few times as well.

The very fact I can not replicate this on 3.1 OS/KS or even back to 2.04, pretty means something is going on with either 3.2ks or 3.2os or both combined. I have tried a network adapter, a SD card reader, a second HD card (scsi and IDE using a different file system) and this is reproduceable every time if KS 3.2 and OS3.2 are in use. It does NOT appear on other setups and they work just fine.

The easiest and fastest way I can reproduce this is to use a basic Amiga 2000, KS 3.2 and a small SCSI HD connected to an A2091 (7.0 roms) OR use an AmiKit IDE interface card and either an IDE HD or CF card. Do a full clean install of 3.2. From there, try installing an SDBox and see what happens. Or some other device that uses its own FILE system, not the default for OS3.2. Doing this, I can repro this 100% of the time.
Old 09 January 2022, 23:53   #20
Radical

Curious to know what the 'Amigakit IDE interface card' you refer to is? Can you post a link?