English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 30 November 2017, 17:45   #1
zorblon98

Looking for Amiga application - Graphic Interface for creating audio/sounds

Hey all,

In the early 90's I had a audio application for my Amiga 500 that had a graphic interface with connections to the various audio paths possible in the Amiga. This would allow you to produce sound using the graphic interface, and could adjust values onscreen to change the sound properties. I can't for the life of me recall what this program as named, though I have in mind that it was called 'Audiotool' - but my initial searches for this on Google are not bringing any results other than a newer app of the same name.

An explanation of what this application *wasn't* - it was not a tracker in any way like Protracker or Octamed, it was not an audio sampling/editing program like Audiomaster, not a midi editor like Music-X, and not an on-screen note editor / song creator like Deluxe Music etc. When running it I believe it just launched a graphic interface screen where you would adjust on-screen graphic parameters to produce sound.

Does this trigger any thoughts/memories from anyone on what this program might have been?
Old 30 November 2017, 20:10   #2
Amiga1992

Is it possible at all that it was Aegis Sonix?

The thing is, Sonix also had a sequencer. So it doesn't fit your description 100%
Old 30 November 2017, 20:14   #3
zorblon98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Is it possible at all that it was Aegis Sonix?
Hey Akira, it was definitely not Sonix though I appreciate the response. I still have my copy of Sonix and love it
Old 30 November 2017, 20:17   #4
Amiga1992

Well there weren't that many softsynths for Amiga so your search shouldn't be that hard.
There aren't any "audio paths possible" on the Amiga, it has no synth chip. So whatever you were using, it was software-driven.

Hopefully someone else knows of other soft synths. I never really used them.
Old 30 November 2017, 20:38   #5
zorblon98

Ah, I thought the Paula chip had a filter and some other stuff in it? Hmm, I guess I wasn't completely sure about it. It's definitely possible this was some type of software driven synth program. It was slightly out of the ordinary from what I recall, and possibly shareware or something similar.
Old 30 November 2017, 21:02   #6
Amiga1992

Paula is a general purpose component, it doesn't only do audio, but the audio bit, is just a DAC.
The filter in the Amiga is just a reconstructive low-pass filter (on/off), to try to compensate for the low resolution of audio playback.

Wikipedia mentions five softsynths:
Synthia
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=566992&postcount=20

FMSynth by Christian Stiens
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=21777

Assampler
[ Show youtube player ] (this one seems to be too new, it uses MUI, so not early 90s)

SoundFX (a.k.a. SFX)
http://www.sonicpulse.de/eng/p_sfx.html (Also too new)

WaveTracer.
http://www.virtualworlds.de//WT/downloads.html (also too new)

Might be one of them, I'd try Synthia or FMSynth.

[edit] found this online too: Aliasonic > https://hideawaystudio.wordpress.com...nts-aliasonix/
Old 01 December 2017, 13:37   #7
daxb

S.A.M. The Sample Synthesizer from 1995

Maybe to new: 303emu from 1997 (needs 1MB chip and 1MB fast)
Old 01 December 2017, 15:09   #8
chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Paula is a general purpose component, it doesn't only do audio, but the audio bit, is just a DAC.
The filter in the Amiga is just a reconstructive low-pass filter (on/off), to try to compensate for the low resolution of audio playback.
Let's not forget about Paula's ability to do AM & FM modulation.
Old 01 December 2017, 16:14   #9
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos View Post
Let's not forget about Paula's ability to do AM & FM modulation.
Errr.... KIND of... I especially wouldn't call that FM... although it technically it is, it's not using sinewaves.

Also I cannot think of any software that uses those features for audio generation in real time. Is there any? If so please share.
Old 01 December 2017, 17:49   #10
emufan

I think it is one of the soft synth programs, if not, maybe it was Intelligent Music M ? M on the ftp.
Old 14 March 2024, 20:58   #11
zorblon98

Long time since I've thought about this thread, but I opened an old box and found a few hand drawn pages that referenced the settings and some notes for the Amiga program I was referring to in this thread.

The pages referenced were notes for a performance when my band opened for Acid Mothers Temple. At the time we were doing some fairly strange live electronics performances as a three piece. I had the Amiga on stage using this program I cannot for the life of me find, or find reference to and only have these bits of notes.

Anyways, adding a bit more clues here for later in case someone stumbles across this thread and goes 'oh yeah it's this program!' (hopefully).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amiga audiotool 2.PNG
Views:	88
Size:	436.0 KB
ID:	81829   Click image for larger version

Name:	amiga audiotool 1.PNG
Views:	88
Size:	565.9 KB
ID:	81830  

Last edited by zorblon98; 15 March 2024 at 13:48. Reason: remove large images
Old 15 March 2024, 10:38   #12
Paulee_Alex_Bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorblon98 View Post
Long time since I've thought about this thread, but I opened an old box and found a few hand drawn pages that referenced the settings and some notes for the Amiga program I was referring to in this thread.

The pages referenced were notes for a performance when my band opened for Acid Mothers Temple. At the time we were doing some fairly strange live electronics performances as a three piece. I had the Amiga on stage using this program I cannot for the life of me find, or find reference to and only have these bits of notes.

Anyways, adding a bit more clues here for later in case someone stumbles across this thread and goes 'oh yeah it's this program!' (hopefully).

I think I might have this program, did you draw the waves, the envelopes etc by dragging the mouse!?