English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > Games images which need to be WHDified

Old 15 April 2006, 10:09   #1
MrZammler
Zone Friend

Scapeghost and other Level 9 adventures

Any chance any of those to be whdfied? Esp. scapeghost, but I'm guessing if one is done, the others will be easy to do...

Thanks
Old 16 April 2006, 02:01   #2
adgloride
Amiga Mod Chipper

I'm sure I have scapeghost playing on my amiga harddrive without the need for it to run with WHDLOAD. I just copied the files from the floppy disc to a directory on my harddrive.
Old 16 April 2006, 18:03   #3
snarkhunter

I will gladly confirm this ! I remember transferring "Knight Orc" and "Gnome Ranger" from the Level 9 disks onto my HD and these games worked just fine. But all the "Magnetic Scrolls" titles required disabling the AGA chip - if any - from a script in order to run.

sh
Old 16 April 2006, 18:44   #4
Slayer
Amiga Member

ah, those were the days...

the mental exercise and assortment of cli commands used to fool games into running off the harddrive... more often than not, eventually, it could usually be done...

you'd pat yourself on the back for sheer magic archive it all up, and move onto another...

this seemed to be a natural progression from the days before harddrives and one wanted to compress and optimise there floppiers...

heh
Old 19 April 2006, 13:28   #5
MrZammler
Zone Friend

Well, thing is that for some reason such games refuse to run (or dont run properly) on my setup (GFX). For example Fish, if run from the original disk does not open a display even though music starts to play.

I havent tried scapeghost but I'm assuming it'll be similar...

I'm guessing it wouldnt be too hard to create a slave for those games, and it should be then easy to adapt them to most of Level 9/Magnetic Scrolls adventures.
Old 20 April 2006, 09:27   #6
Slayer
Amiga Member

another trick I used to do especially for games that required a protected sector or similair (generally dos with a long track or such) was blank the disk or erase it but leave the protected track alone...

leave it in df0: and run the game from the harddrive, depending on the game it would access df0: once and then turn back to the harddrive or access the drive from time to time and go back to the harddrive...

crude but worked

anyway, this is way off subject...

one last thing was using a proper reassigning command and redirecting df0: to your harddrive directory... useful alone or in conjuction with the disk in the drive scenario...

another, hex editing the main files to point to a harddrive partition etc etc etc... this is where hacked versions would be good for too, sometimes nodos were turned to dos... anyway, I wasn't such a great games player but I loved processing them, archiving them up and moving along to the next challenge...

I suppose it's a bit like whdload authors finishing a patch