English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 December 2016, 12:10   #1
scam3r

A1200 1.2Gb 2.5 HDD not detected Rev2b

Ok, I have a AT 1200 Rev2b, noob at soldering and electronics, but learning

The Amiga was behaving strange, and had a look at the board, and some of the caps had leaked, so a recap was necessary.

I purchased some decent caps, and proceeded to change them. It did take longer than I first expected...

Powered up the Amiga (fingers crossed) DF0 is not connected yet, and workbench was in DF1 and it arrived at Workbench screen, but HDD didn't load

Rebooted, took out FD only 3.1 rom loading screen. HDD is setup correctly and could boot from it before the recap. Tried CF which is known and working, this didn't boot either.

From install 3.1 disk HDD is not detected, empty no device to choose. HDD does power up, and HDD light flickers when first turned on.

Where should be the first place to focus on for this issue? As there are caps near the IDE header.

Thanks

Scam

Old 05 December 2016, 13:03   #2
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

You've kinda answered yourself really....

Did you neutralize the leaked electrolyte with lemon juice & then flush with Isopropyl alcohol?

Re-check your Re-cap work for dry joints, polarity etc.

As a novice in soldering electronics, did you mange to remove all the old Caps without damaging the Pads they attach to? - Did you remove all the excess solder with de-solder braid before re-tinning??

Is the hard drive cable attached/aligned correctly??

Last edited by Kin Hell; 05 December 2016 at 13:15.
Old 05 December 2016, 18:36   #3
scam3r

The board has been properly cleaned, as I have been doing a lot of reading of what to do, and finally flushed with Isopropyl alcohol from Maplin.

I have checked the orientation of the caps and they are correct, when looking at my photos i took before, and all the solder is shiny, and tested continuity on both sides of the capacitors.

The first cap I took off broke the pad as I was too heavy handed, this took longer to fix than anything else, C822, but all the other pads were ok, which I was surprised, and they were tinned, then reworked using solder paste and hot-air or I done manually with an iron.

HDD is all good, and power up and spins.

Hasn't anyone else had this problem? What would be the first thing to check? The schematics aren't obvious to where the possible problem is. And don't want to start lifting caps just yet

Old 05 December 2016, 21:49   #4
scam3r

any help would be gratefully appreciated

Old 06 December 2016, 15:24   #5
scam3r

Solved: It was the cable, as the original had two headers on it, and tried both but it didn't work after the re-cap. But was working before, go figure.

Using a single header cable, the Amiga booted from the HDD, and is working as expected.

Old 06 December 2016, 16:04   #6
emufan

congrats and thanks for reporting the problem