English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 December 2007, 14:54   #1
mrbob2

Is emulation/retro gaming coming to an end?

MM strange question but ive been thinking.......

Im really into retro gaming, amiga (fav) megadrive, psx, snes to name a few. The point of my thread is, in 20 years time, what will be emulated?

PC? i have been using windows pc`s for 8 years and have NO fond memories.

PS2? dont really care even tho i had many top games, pro evo and GTA are on pc so no need to emulate those.

PS3? As most games are simply updated, no one is really going to remeniss or want to emualate fifa 08 when they will be playing fifa 2028

People who emulate amigas i would say are 95% previous owners, in the future there will be no new members of the amiga following, i guess people will just vanish due to life changes etc.

xbox 360? same reasons as ps3 really, hard to get dewey eyed over the games available today. On the amiga you had games like jaguar xj220 and projext x that were classics but never had sequels, nowadays nearly every game is followed by a number or sub title....
Old 15 December 2007, 15:00   #2
Graham Humphrey

I don't think it will ever die out. The thing is the kids who are growing up with the PS2/PS3 etc. will probably get nostalgic for the "good old days" in 20 years' time, like a lot of us here do now. It'll always happen I'm sure, the whole "modern games aren't as good" attitude - just look at Amiga mags' letters pages 15 years ago; "Amiga games aren't as playable as C64/Speccy games", and then later on: "PSX games aren't as playable as Amiga games", and so on. Can't imagine it ever going away.
Old 15 December 2007, 15:14   #3
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

As Graham said people will always be nostalgic for what they had when they were young. So there might be less followers for C64/Amiga etc... but does it matter? Not to me - I've never left Amiga since 1990
Old 15 December 2007, 16:08   #4
cv643d

Emulation has slowed down a bit on the net, it was big business a couple of years ago before the millenium because new systems and games where being emulated all the time, you could make big bucks on your emu-homepage. Pretty much every oldschool system is emulated now so the emulation scene lacks momentum at the moment IMHO.

PS2 emulation etc are picking up speed right now but the general interest in next gen emulation seems to be low.
Old 15 December 2007, 16:58   #5
Shoonay
Global Caturator

I'm pretty much with GH on this, but it looks even better IMHO.
Kids that never owned an Amiga (or any other hardware from the past) may be easly attracted to it, by just simply wanting to check "what is it?"
Lots of 12 year old's here in Poland, that got it for that very reason.
And don't give me the "how the fuck do you know he's really 12 year old?" thing, go speak with an over-enthusiastic with his new toy 12 year old, and believe me - you'll know.
Heck, if I ever had the chance, I would most certainly check all the previous machines that people used when I wasn't even on this world...
Old 15 December 2007, 20:05   #6
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob2 View Post
On the amiga you had games like jaguar xj220 and projext x that were classics but never had sequels, nowadays nearly every game is followed by a number or sub title....
Project-X does indeed have a sequel.. X2 - No Relief on PlayStation.
Not as good as the first game.
But you're right, I can't think of any PC games I would want to play in let's say 10-15 years from now.
Old 15 December 2007, 20:44   #7
Ironclaw
Banned

When the people that grew up with amigas and commodore die, there will be no more people with nostalgic feeling for those computers, instead the next generation computers and systems will be considered nostalgic.. like today for instance, a 18 year old dude gets an ps3, in 2028, he might be nostalgic about it, but not amiga or commodore.. so.. in like 80 years from now, all commodore nostalgics are dead .... unless some of us bring them into the lives of our children .. which I know some are and will....

As I grew up with commodore 64/128 and Amiga, I don't care about anything before that.. like that Atari with 2 colors thingy and stuff...........

I might be wrong and havn't really given this much thought, I just wrote this as I though it up .
Old 15 December 2007, 21:14   #8
Dizzy
Pirate

I'm much into music and movies too, and I lik to go looking for old movie, even movies that were made before my parent was born, so it is with music, I like good old blues or Jazz (well the jazz part I got from my farther) and discover artist I never heard of.
I think people who will be interested in games, will search for the past and discover the amiga and other old stuff. Off course English Amiga Board 50 years from now might be something diff, maybe not as active, but you will find people talking about it.

We might live today and think about tomorrow, but we will never forget our past
Old 15 December 2007, 21:27   #9
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Didn't know you're a philospher Dizz.
Old 16 December 2007, 04:02   #10
oneshotdead

in 50 years time an Amiga hobbiest will be like how I perceive a vintage radio oldtimer.

that's if there is similar kind of sentience, or sentience at all, in 50 years...
Old 17 December 2007, 11:15   #11
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I hate this kind of bashing PC and other systems crap.

Is it that hard to admit that there are some good PC games as well last two generation of console games??

Just to mention some names: Civilization 4, Rome: Total War, HL, Doom3, Earth2160,... for PC and bunch of games for PS2, GC, X-Box.

And yes, all of them are playable and enjoyable as long as you can control more then 2 buttons on the gamepad/mouse.
Old 17 December 2007, 13:31   #12
manicx

I was excited in the past... Now, I don't feel the same. But I feel like that with other games too. Must be getting old....
Old 17 December 2007, 13:58   #13
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicx View Post
I was excited in the past... Now, I don't feel the same. But I feel like that with other games too. Must be getting old....
You hit the nail on the head. This is all rooted in the fact that you get more attached to (and excited about) things when you're young.

The fact that you're not attached to the PC or the PS2 is because most of us are 'grown-ups' now.
Old 17 December 2007, 14:41   #14
viddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post
You hit the nail on the head. This is all rooted in the fact that you get more attached to (and excited about) things when you're young.

The fact that you're not attached to the PC or the PS2 is because most of us are 'grown-ups' now.
I mostly agree. But I had this great feeling again back in 2001 when the GBA was released.

I know, it was / is much more connected with the past than other machines but even original games on the GBA felt / feel like Amiga games.

All this great hand drawn 2D stuff and tricky 3D games.
Old 17 December 2007, 14:44   #15
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

why do so many people think retro-gaming is all about nostalgia?

whilst many of the games i played at the time i still cherish, such an idea completely ignores the fact that i never owned a C64, Amstrad CPC, Sega Mega drive, and i never had an Arcade nearby.

Yet all of these feature games i am very fond of now, and had not known about since some time in the past 3 years. Also being ignored is the fact there are many Amiga and Spectrum games i have not discovered until recently, which i am also very fond of.

yes, there -are- some PS1/PS2 games that i still put in high regard, but mostly they dont have the lastability of the old games. Often by being larger, you plow through and "max out " the game, making you disinterested in it once its completed. For example, i very much enjoyed starting to play Tomb Raider again on the PSP (with PS1 emulation) - but soon found myself distracted by other games .... it simple doesnt have enough "pick up and play" appeal, than some many of the older, smaller, simpler games do... although its still a classic. What matters is the gameplay and the ideas behind it.

The same can easily be said of the likes of the Resident Evil or Silent Hill series - i think i will still put them down as great games in 20 years time, i'm just not sure if i will actually play them again between now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis
Is it that hard to admit that there are some good PC games as well last two generation of console games??
yes, i can imagine it is difficult for some, especially if you have -never- been particularly excited by those games, whether you tried them then or now. I personally find the classics of those eras -much- thinner in numbers than the earlier eras. I dont particualrlylike FPSs, so that makes 95% of PC and Xbox games completely void to me for example.

I find Dizzy's post comparing retrogaming to an enjoyment of old movies the most accurate. There cant be nostalgia in watching a film that was made 30 years before my birth, and the same can be true of retro-gaming.... it's simply about appriciation and enjoyment.
Old 17 December 2007, 14:54   #16
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob2 View Post
PC? i have been using windows pc`s for 8 years and have NO fond memories.
Already done, Dosbox.

There are plenty of old DOS games that people already have fond memories of.
Old 17 December 2007, 15:05   #17
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I'm much into music and movies too, and I lik to go looking for old movie, even movies that were made before my parent was born, so it is with music, I like good old blues or Jazz (well the jazz part I got from my farther) and discover artist I never heard of.
I think people who will be interested in games, will search for the past and discover the amiga and other old stuff. Off course English Amiga Board 50 years from now might be something diff, maybe not as active, but you will find people talking about it.

I absolutely agree.
I dont think all people are so stupid to listen, watch, read and play the mainstream stuff just for the reason it is "in" and everyone around is talking about it.
EAB 50 years from now? More senile polls and more senile faggots, in basic the same
Old 17 December 2007, 15:07   #18
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
yes, i can imagine it is difficult for some, especially if you have -never- been particularly excited by those games, whether you tried them then or now. I personally find the classics of those eras -much- thinner in numbers than the earlier eras. I dont particualrlylike FPSs, so that makes 95% of PC and Xbox games completely void to me for example.

I really don't get it. You have to excited to acknowledge if game is good and enjoyable?! (same rule like for girls )
Old 17 December 2007, 15:10   #19
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Already done, Dosbox.

There are plenty of old DOS games that people already have fond memories of.
Second this.

Not to forget VirtualPC, Bosh ScummVM and other similar projects.

As for games, just check PC retro/new scene.
Old 17 December 2007, 15:12   #20
Sensi
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
I find Dizzy's post comparing retrogaming to an enjoyment of old movies the most accurate. There cant be nostalgia in watching a film that was made 30 years before my birth, and the same can be true of retro-gaming.... it's simply about appriciation and enjoyment.
Yes. Because its great music, great movies and great games, doesn't matter when they were made and recorded. And if the games were enjoyable fifteen years ago there is no reason why not to enjoy them now.