English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 August 2002, 07:43   #1
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Heh, everytime I say that modern games are usually crap, I often hear this reponse

"If they were bad games, they wouldn't be selling"

I just want to remind that Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears are top sellers artists nowadays, and movies like Tomb Raider Men in Black 2 and Scooby-Doo (Which I haven't seen yet, but from what TRUSTABLE people told me, it sucks big time) are doing very well in the box-office.

Twistin Ghost already talked about that a million of times here in EAB. Substance isn't needed anymore today, and most people will rush for everything that's new, be it good or not.
Old 21 August 2002, 12:28   #2
KombatSanta
Pipboy approved

Send a message via ICQ to KombatSanta
Yeah! you tell 'em baby!
Old 21 August 2002, 18:58   #3
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

The problem is Twistin's eloquence is lost on the minds denuded by bowelmovement, Shatter. I read 2 years ago in the NY TImes about a Brazilian musician, I am not sure if he was a samba artist or what. Great stuff he did on his tour of America. When asked why he toured America, he responded in this mein:
"Everything you Americans send to Brazil (music-wise) is junk. I want to show you Americans that we have real music and don't need the junk."
THAT was beautiful.
Old 21 August 2002, 22:24   #4
jmmijo

Well I don't totally agree with that assessment of American music, how about the likes of Buddy Guy, BB King, John Mayal, Edda James, et. al., and any number of Blues artists
Old 21 August 2002, 23:45   #5
Amiga1992

I suppose he was talking about MODERN stuff, like Backend Boys and Pimpney Shears.

Miles Davis r0x0rz
Old 21 August 2002, 23:59   #6
jmmijo

I suppose you're right on that one
Old 22 August 2002, 00:12   #7
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Akira said it perfectly jmmijo. Sorry i should have clarified. Now back on topic whores.
Old 22 August 2002, 05:37   #8
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

That guy was probably Gilberto Gil. I remember he was make sucess in foreign countries like 2 years ago Pretty good stuff he does.

But to be quite honest, Gilberto Gil can't be considered "Modern", athoulgh he still is making music and all. What kids hear here aren't of much better quality than Backstreet Boys or Britney Spears. We have things lile "É O Tchan" (I doubt any of you guys know this shit, but I know Akira knows it ), and even worse stuff.

People who make quality music here, like Gilberto Gil, Milton Nascimento or Djavan are more or less the BB King or John Mayal of America: Not many people give attention to them.

Erm...

I forgot Fred said we were supposed to be back to the topic
Old 22 August 2002, 05:46   #9
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
Heh, everytime I say that modern games are usually crap, I often hear this reponse

"If they were bad games, they wouldn't be selling"

I just want to remind that Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears are top sellers artists nowadays, and movies like Tomb Raider Men in Black 2 and Scooby-Doo (Which I haven't seen yet, but from what TRUSTABLE people told me, it sucks big time) are doing very well in the box-office.

Twistin Ghost already talked about that a million of times here in EAB. Substance isn't needed anymore today, and most people will rush for everything that's new, be it good or not.
Hehe...and I was tempted to say it again, but at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I passed the torch. (I've been doing this a lot lately...could Bobby Brady be mellowing with age?!?)
Old 22 August 2002, 07:08   #10
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

What Bobby Brady? All I see is a floppy diskette.
No Lookinland hea.
:suspiciou
Old 22 August 2002, 07:59   #11
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Gsmes are like music, good and bad is subjective. I dont like alot of the newer games out, but know alot of younger people that really like them. Todays games will be tomorrows retro games I guess
Old 22 August 2002, 09:37   #12
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Shatterhand
That guy was probably Gilberto Gil. I remember he was make sucess in foreign countries like 2 years ago Pretty good stuff he does.
But to be quite honest, Gilberto Gil can't be considered "Modern",
I seriously doubt it was Gil. Perhaps it was Marky Mark? He's a very cool brazilian electronic muso that lives outside Brazil. He's famous everywhere except in Brazil :P
Old 23 August 2002, 05:20   #13
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I doubt today games will be the retro games of tomorrow. I can't see anyone remebering how good it was to play Quake 1...

And even being subjective, no one can argue that there are factors that DOES make a game (or music or movie or whatever) good or bad. You know a movie like Men in Black II is bad because (SPOILER) it's just trying to make money from its name, it reuses lots of jokes from the prequel, it has holes in the script, the plot is nearly identical to the 1st one, the direction doesn't work in many points of the movie.... do I need to go on?

Someone may even say "I liked MIB II", but this doesn't stop it being a bad movie.
Old 23 August 2002, 18:03   #14
IanS

I agree with Shatterhand regarding aspects that make a good film etc. As for games, I think that every generation has their own retro stuff, and depending on what stage you came in to computing, you will rate some games more highly than others. I loved 'Star Raiders' on my 8 bit Atari... it will always stay in my mind, as will Paul Woakes 'Mercenary' and Microprose 'F15 Strike Eagle ' on the smame platform. Not to mention a couple of ZX81 games I had. Oh, the good old days eh? I also think that games like Quake, Quake 3, UT and Half life will be remembered for being groundbreaking in their own ways. Much like Elite, Stunt Car Racer, Doom, Pacman, Space Invaders and no end of others are today.

Now I'm tempeed to resurrect my old Atari stuff... tape drives, single sided disk drives. Oh my, I have tear in my eye!
Old 24 August 2002, 05:36   #15
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I doubt Quake will be considered retro in future, simply because who likes Quake and those modern games are usually the kind of people who are DESPERATE for getting "new" things. They need to get new things, and won't care for "old" things.

I do believe Quake will be remembered as the 1st FPS to deliver 3D gfx with fast action and internet playing. But I doubt people will be PLAYING it, like we still play stuff like Turrican 2

This was also once discussed here before

But, well, only time can tell... To be quite honest , Quake is rather old already.......

Hey, could a mod maybe put all this thing about "Good and bad things" on another thread? I think it went way off-topic. Or maybe we all should shut and begin to talk about the AmigaOne again
Old 24 August 2002, 05:54   #16
Amiga1992

hey Shatts, having problems with the [] keys? Second time I fix yer [] commands

Anyway, your wish is my command. This stuff has been moved
Old 27 August 2002, 09:51   #17
IanS

Desperate for new things? That's a very strange comment Well, considering that my main PC is a staggering P3 500, built by me less than 2 years ago using quite a few 2nd hand parts, with an outdated Gforce 2MX grapghics card that cost me £27 new... well, I suppose it depends on your definition of "new"

Virtually all my "new" games are about as old, if not older. I still like playing Quake occasionally. But then I love Cannon Fodder too
Old 27 August 2002, 09:53   #18
IanS

Oops

I seem to be missing a full stop and a in the above... but hey, it' not even 9am yet!
Old 27 August 2002, 11:18   #19
Jim

Eek

But this is the most worrying thing of all.......

..... Don't we all sound like our parents ! ?

Things were better in my day etc... etc....

Arrrghhh I have become what I used to despise !!!!

Old 27 August 2002, 18:12   #20
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim
Things were better in my day etc... etc....
But it's true for some stuff obv. I like the advancements in most fields, specially the technical fields.

But the old games use to be better! That doesn't mean we have no great games today, it's just that I don't find them in the PC platform.

Heck, I've even seen a very interesting WIP of an XBox racing game! :P (Lamborghini Automobili, but it's getting a PS2 release too )