English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.SPS (was CAPS)

Old 17 July 2013, 18:27   #1
MethodGit

Should I still try to send dumps over?

The silence from the head honchos of this sub-forum has been pretty deafening for a while, plus I've heard of people contributing dumps/disks years ago but still not receiving IPFs in return.

I know it's likely they're really busy with other platforms atm, but it's just I've got a lot of games and coverdisks here laying around and going unused...
Old 17 July 2013, 23:29   #2
David

Floppy disk

In my case, I submitted my system test output via their ticket system (ticket 01234) one month ago but haven't gotten a reply yet. That's not a good sign.

My first inquiry was responded to in a few days, so I got the transfer tool and was feeling optimistic, but now I'm wondering if something happened to the caseworker.

I'm less concerned about getting IPFs back in a timely manner as simply getting my setup validated so I can start converting my games into a less fragile format for later analysis by SPS.

I registered here to see if I could discover the whereabouts on Mr. "C.B." or possibly get someone else from the Society to help me.

Old 17 July 2013, 23:41   #3
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I registered here to see if I could discover the whereabouts on Mr. "C.B." or possibly get someone else from the Society to help me.

Mr. "C.B." is otherwise known as mr.vince hereabouts.

Edit: For other CAPS contacts, look on this page for moderators of the project.SPS (was CAPS) forum.

Last edited by prowler; 18 July 2013 at 00:08.
Old 18 July 2013, 23:07   #4
David

Thanks. It appears he isn't dead/sick/on vacation or anything, which is basically what I wanted to find out.

Oh well. I'm ready to contribute whenever you guys have the time. I'd really appreciate it if one of you could pop in to say something like "We are interested in the contributions of people like you and MethodGit. Please be patient. Check back in xyz weeks." Just a little something so we know we're not ignored/forgotten/unwanted, please?

Might as well suggest: any chance of SPS accepting new members to help share the workload? I'd volunteer, but I'm a nobody. Surely there are plenty of trustworthy fellows with the time and inclination to support this noble endeavor.

Hell, it would help even to have a few non-technical public relations members to assure people like MethodGit that their contributions are indeed greatly desired.

I really like this project, it's such a shame that they don't have the ability to keep up with all the submissions.
Old 19 July 2013, 11:21   #5
IFW

Yes, we do apprecaite all contributions, so please contribute if you can.
Before you start dumping all of your disks please get in touch as there are specific tests that need to be done to ensure that the imaging is done correctly.

Thanks
Old 19 July 2013, 12:32   #6
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

I received the dumping disk a long time ago too and never heard anything back.

I dumped the games using a Commodore Amiga 1200 and KryoFlux (Sony MPF920-L).
Please have a look:
Dump disk files
KryoFlux streams

The games are;
Lure of the Temptress *VERSION 2* (6-8-1992) RETAIL (v2 has an SPS release, but that's from The Greatest compilation)
Rainbow Islands (Compilation Power-Up)
X-Out (Compilation Power-Up)
Old 20 July 2013, 00:52   #7
David

Thank you, IFW.

You were probably speaking generally, but I'd like to reiterate that I did run the initial test and have been waiting for someone to look at the results and give me the thumbs up/down. (Even if both drives are somehow unusable, I have an external drive I recently picked up from my parent's house that might work, so if that's the reason I didn't get a reply, just say so I'll try the external drive next. I can even dig out some older Amigas if necessary.)

It's a bit frustrating that the only thing keeping me from moving on to the next step - for over a month now - is a simple (?) evaluation that I assume only takes a few minutes of an expert's time. (Although I think there may also be a sample dump that is supposed to come next; I'm not clear on that.)

My Amiga seems like it's getting worse every time I turn it on, but I don't want to attempt fixing anything until my games are safely dumped. So I have nothing to do but wait and pray my Amiga and disks all hold out long enough.

Thanks again for the reply, and I apologise for making a nuisance of myself and also apologise for possibly offending my caseworker. Sorry!
Old 22 July 2013, 11:57   #8
IFW

Dave,
I replied, thanks It would be probably better to dump the disks with a KryoFlux unit though if possible. You are right: a test dump is needed in either case just to see that settings are correct.

Retroplay,
Can't download from that site, please submit via our FTP. If you don't have the details please send a ticket via SPS site or simply PM me. Thanks.
Old 23 July 2013, 02:51   #9
David

Floppy disk

Thanks IFW

Don't worry: if things don't work out with my current setup, I am willing to pay the postage to send my disks to someone reputable with a KryoFlux. I still have an external DD drive to try also.

Do you want the test dump to be a copyprotected or unprotected game? I made one of each so now I'm just waiting on the FTP details.

BTW, for some reason I happen to have one Mac game: The Incredible Toon Machine. Do I need to do anything special to dump it or can it be treated like Amiga disks?