English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 11 July 2001, 01:58   #1
Ian
Global Moderator

WHD games to ADF's??

Not really a problem, more of a query.

If you have a WHD version of a game where the disk are stored in full ie Disk.1 etc is there a way to convert them back to ADF's??

Please be gentle
Old 11 July 2001, 02:20   #2
Malc
Zone Friend

I would guess that disk.1 is similar to an ADF image if not the same thing, try renaming the file to ADF and transfer it to your Amiga then follow the routine for converting ADFs back to floppy disk.

If it works then well....it works!
If not then you can be assured it doesn't
Old 11 July 2001, 02:36   #3
Ian
Global Moderator

Big grin Well, I keep learning new stuff everyday

Malc, it does work on all the files that are 880k in size, strangly though some of the disks for WHD are >1000k, who knows why .... More to the point who cares
Old 11 July 2001, 18:09   #4
Amiga1992

Wanna know why? because they have extra sector information, thanks to copy protection. I'm surprised 880k ones work, this means we can get some originals onto ADF.
Old 11 July 2001, 18:35   #5
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Cool WHD

Not all 880K ones work, though...
Old 13 July 2001, 01:19   #6
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Cool Amiga disk formats

OK lesson time...

A standard amiga track holds $1600 bytes of data, and there are usually 160 tracks on a disk. Amiga disks come in 3 basic flavours:

1. AmigaDos disks, when you list then you can see a bunch of files. Always sync $4489 and 901120 bytes (880k)
2. NDOS disks, when you shove them in you see NDOS on your Workbench, no files are visible. Always sync $4489 and 901120 bytes (880k)
3. MFM disks, also show up as NDOS when you put them in, yet if you try and image them with a disk->adf tool, it will spit out errors the whole way. Sometimes nibble copying them works but not very often. Sometimes sync $4489, often not (copy protection)... Can hold any amount of data the programmer likes, with a maximum of around $1a00 bytes (hence disk image would be well over the 1Mb mark)

There are also combinations of the above, for example Puffy's Saga. Game disk is DOS, NDOS and MFM! How? If you put the disk in, you can see files (well 2 only!) - the majority of the rest of the disk is loaded as NDOS. From track 132-149 (from memory) the disk is MFM, so you can't easily copy it.

If you know how to image the disk (for the almost finished WHDLoad install) the MFM data is actually $1600 bytes/track so my imager produces a file which is 901120 bytes long - so you may think you can write it back to disk and play the game. Well, it won't work. Just because it happens to be the magic ADF size doesn't mean it is. If you check the install script, if it uses DIC to make up the disk you can put it back onto floppy. In all other cases it will not work.

Even if you get the game back onto floppy, there is no guarantee it will work. Most disk imager tools will skip a track with copy protection (DIC fills it with TDICTDICTDICTDIC, other's with 0's) so it may load for a little while, then it will crash when the protection is checked and found to be incorrect.

Another game is Super Monaco GP, try putting the HD disk image back to floppy - even though it looks like an ADF it won't work.

Hope that helps...
Old 13 July 2001, 01:45   #7
Ian
Global Moderator

Damn

The whole time I had a real amiga I never knew about MFM, gees make me think what else I missed out on It's only since I got a PC that I started to take an interest in this sort of thing. I was so young (about 12 I think) when I had an Amiga that all I did was play games, what a mispent youth I had

PS To repay the favour CodeTapper do you want lesson's in using Windows, M$ Office 95/97/2000 or Visual Basic 6??? As thats all the s#$t I teach people these days. (For lots of MONEY) Thats why I love Micro$oft Twistin'
Old 13 July 2001, 02:19   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Well just because I make money at the newspaper I work at doesn't mean I have to like the paper itself. Hell, I make money using PC's myself (fixing systems fucked up by Outlook and IE, for example). And by using Photoshop at work, and Quark Xpress, and WinNT, etc. but that doesn't make me love M$ or think any differently of their unconscienable behaviour.

I also love my country, but hate its politicians and leaders. We must think independantly, not globally.
Old 13 July 2001, 07:16   #9
Walker

OK Twistin', let´s calm down. You know what the doctor said!

Guys, please don´t mention you-know-what-company to this guy. So far he has chewed up 17 keyboards and wiped out a bunch of monitors. Thanks.
Old 13 July 2001, 13:46   #10
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
1. AmigaDos disks, when you list then you can see a bunch of files.
Or, as I've also witnessed, NOTHING AT ALL.
I think many of you still did keep their old disk boxes ... well I still have that game on disk called BUDOKAN which came on two 880k disks but showed no files when you did a 'dir'! I believe the directory and file entries had just been wiped out from the root (?) block and the corresponding directory blocks.
Old 13 July 2001, 15:31   #11
Ian
Global Moderator

Andreas

Quote:
There are also combinations of the above, for example Puffy's Saga. Game disk is DOS, NDOS and MFM! How? If you put the disk in, you can see files (well 2 only!) - the majority of the rest of the disk is loaded as NDOS. From track 132-149 (from memory) the disk is MFM, so you can't easily copy it.
It appears as they could use all three at the same time, meaning they could use DOS to make the disk show up properly in Workbench, but use the other formats for the required files. Or at least thats how I understand that paragraph
Old 13 July 2001, 18:54   #12
Amiga1992

Yep yep Ian, it works like that. Many disks show up in workbench as DOS, but have no files inside. I bet teh rest of the disk is in MFM format or similar.