English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.OtherUAE

Old 28 March 2013, 06:40   #1
tesla

3.1 AmigaOS problem

I have an Amiga 2000 that needs dos installed, it has a blank but formatted scsi HD, I have a Blizzard 2060 installed and a scsi CD drive, and need to do a clean install of 3.1.

I will then install 3.9 (or 3.5 first if that is better, I have both on CD).

I have original copies of 3.5 and 3.9 on cd, btw, and my goal is to use the cd drive to install 3.5/3.9.

I started to install 3.1 from the original Escom floppies, and everything went well until it was 85% installed, and then the trouble started. Long story short, the INSTALL disk was corrupted, and I probably didn't make it any better by running Quarterback tools, which eliminated important (corrupted files and drawers). the Install drawer and files.

Now, I can't go any further without help.

What would you do?

As far as I know, the rest of the 3.1 disks are ok.

If I could get the CD drive going, I could use it to install 3.9, or even recreate 3.1, since I know 3.1 is on the 3.5 disk, but, my AmigaDOS knowledge is not that good. If anyone thinks there is a way to fix this, I would be happy to do it. Just remember that I need it simple. I see the fix in several ways:
Restore the INSTALL directory on my 3.1 disk. I have a 3.0 INSTALL disk and the INSTALL drawer is in good condition, but as far as I know, 3.0 INSTALL will not sub for the 3.1 version.
I tried mounting cd0, using the install disk and the storage disk, and it *seemed* to be mounted, but I couldn't access it, even though I could see a cd0 icon.

What would you do?

Last edited by tesla; 30 March 2013 at 10:18.
Old 28 March 2013, 10:29   #2
thomas

You should always keep the original floppy disks write protected, make backup copies and work with the copies only which should be kept write protected all the time, too.

To get CD0 working, you need to adjust the tooltypes. Default is DEVICE=scsi.device, UNIT=5 IIRC. You need to change them to match your CD drive. If the drive is connected to the B2060's SCSI, you should change it to DEVICE=2060scsi.device. UNIT has to match the SCSI ID you set on the back of the drive.

To install WB3.1 manually you only need to copy the contents of the floppy disks to the HDD. WB and Extras go to the main directory, Locale, Storage and Fonts belong into a directory of that name. Be sure to select "Show all files" from the menu if you use Workbench to copy the disks.

Note that you need the 68060.library and 68040.library which came with your B2060, otherwise the Amiga will not boot after installing the OS.
Old 28 March 2013, 21:42   #3
tesla

ahhhh

Thomas, you make some good points, but I cannot take your advice and make my system work and boot off of the HD. Part of it is, I'm just past absolute beginner when it comes to much of what you said.

The way I see/understand it, I would have the HD booting the system up by now, but since the install disk is missing the install folder, (it got corrupted, and yes, I was in a hurry and didn't back it up, not that that would have made a difference, since it was corrupted in the first place) I can't use the automated way to install 3.1. If I understood your instructions better, perhaps I would have the cd working now. Care to simplify them?

As I said earlier, I have the original 3.5 and 3.9 cd's, bought when I had my 3000T, and my goal is to have my system boot into 3.9.

If I could get the software for the Blizzard 2060 installed, I think I would be on my way, if I understand you correctly. The problem with that is, I don't have the disks. Yes, I d/l'ed them onto my PC, but where do I go from there?

One other option is to construct a serial null modem cable, and figure out how to use my serial (DB9)-equipped PC to transfer files. However, I have Vista installed on it, and I have no idea, (yet) how to access the serial port). It's been a long time, I guess.

Another option is to somehow use my original copy of workbench (I think), boot up the system, and somehow edit the startup file to boot off of the hard drive, at least that would get me somewhere. However, I still need to get the install disks for the Blizzard 2060 made so I can get the cd drive recognized, correct?

Oh, one more option, as I see it.

What about find a uncorrupted 3.1 Install disk?

If I had an Amiga-owning neighbor, and he had a CD installed, I could use it to make a boot up disk for 3.9, or, even make new 3.1 disks off of the 3.5 cd.

Last edited by tesla; 29 March 2013 at 05:19.
Old 28 March 2013, 22:21   #4
emufan

sharing workbench/kickstart here on this board is not allowed.
but can you try to boot from the test-images here. burn to cd and try to boot with your cd-drive.
if this works, someone can make you a cd-image with files you need.
Old 28 March 2013, 22:47   #5
tesla

Hi,

my problem is, I can't get my CD drive to appear on the desktop. If I could, my problems would be over. BTW, I didn't mean to insinuate that I wanted someone to make a copy of the INSTALL disk for me. Just letting off some steam.
I have 3.5 on cd, which has 3.1 on it. I also own 3.9. I can't access either without being able to get my CD on the desktop and useable. I can click on the CD icon, and it says it is mounted, but I can't see it anywhere. If I could figure out how to use it, my troubles would be over.
Old 28 March 2013, 22:56   #6
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla View Post
Care to simplify them?
Switch on your Amiga and wait until it boots from HDD. I suppose it opens a DOS shell window and nothing else. In the DOS window enter cd and remember what it prints. In the following I assume it has printed "Harddrive:". Replace all occurences of "Harddrive:" in my description by the name it really printed.

Now insert the Workbench 3.1 disk (write protected !!!!!!!!!!!!) and press Ctrl-A-A. When it is ready booting off the disk, open the Workbench 3.1 icon, select "Window -> Show -> All files" from the menu, then select "Window -> Select contents" from the same menu. (Hold down the right mouse button to open the window, move the pointer to the item you want to choose and lift the right mouse button there). When everything in the Workbench 3.1 is selected, hold down the Shift key, hold down the left mouse button over one of the selected icons and drag everything together to the Harddrive icon.

Wait until it has copied everything, then remove the disk and press Ctrl-A-A. It should already boot from the harddrive now as it did from the floppy before.

Now select "Workbench -> Execute command" from the menu, enter NewShell and press enter.

Insert the Extras3.1 disk into the disk drive and enter this command:

Code:
copy df0: Harddrive: all clone
Wait until copying has finished, then insert the Fonts disk and copy it with these commands:

Code:
makedir Harddrive:Fonts
copy df0: Harddrive:Fonts all clone
Do the same with the Locale disk (make a Locale dir and copy the contents of the Locale disk into this directory).

Now close the DOS window and open the Harddrive icon. Insert the Storage3.1 disk. Drag the Storage3.1 icon into the Harddrive window. When copying has finished rename the new Storage3.1 icon into Storage. (select the drawer icon and select "Icon -> Rename" from the menu).

That's the manual installation of WB 3.1.

Now find CD0 in Harddisk:Storage/DosDrivers. Left-click the icon once and select "Icon -> Information" from the menu. In the lower half you see a list of tool types. Click on DEVICE=scsi.device and change it to DEVICE=2060scsi.device. Press enter to get it changed in the list. Then click on UNIT=2 and change 2 to the SCSI ID of your CD drive.

If you don't know the ID, you'll have to open the case and look to the back of the drive. There should be jumpers labelled 1, 2 and 4. Add the numbers which are closed by a jumper. For example if 1 and 4 are closed and 2 is open, then the ID is 5 (= 1 + 4).

If this is done, save the changes, insert a CD and double click CD0. With a bit luck the icon of the CD will appear on the desktop.
Old 29 March 2013, 05:15   #7
tesla

Hi Thomas,

Thanks very much for the help.

My HDD doesn't boot by itself (yet).

Once that is happening, then follow your directions?
Old 29 March 2013, 08:39   #8
thomas

Well, what I described is what the install script does. That's what you asked for. You won't get a bootable harddisk by running the install script, either. To make a partition bootable you have to mark it bootable in the partitioning tool.
Old 29 March 2013, 13:19   #9
tesla

Thank you.
Old 29 March 2013, 13:35   #10
tesla

Ok, from an earlier post, I looked for my drive in HD toolbox. My HDD doesn't show up!

I am not sure why, perhaps it is because of my Blizzard card is not (software-wise) installed?
Mystery solved. Now all I have to do is find a way to install it!

EDIT

After thinking about it, I'm thinking that the reason why the HDD is not seen in HDTOOLBOX is because the system, while loading, is looking for a specific pre-determined scsi type, and not finding it. Ok, if I'm right, I have to change that, perhaps to "scsi=68060?
EDIT
I am looking at command arguments for scsi type right now "drive definitions". I have to get ready for a job interview so I can't go any further right now. I will be back.

Last edited by tesla; 29 March 2013 at 14:31.
Old 29 March 2013, 13:55   #11
emufan

Quote:
Hi,

my problem is, I can't get my CD drive to appear on the desktop.....
the solution with the cd-images, the link i gave you above - could be a solution. if your cdrom is able to boot. it is basicaly a harddrive image , which gets burned as a cd.
if your cdrom/scsi setup can autoboot. then this solution would work.
one could prepare such an image with the files you need ( floppy images you can write to your disk-drive or mount on wb-desktop ).
give it a try , read what mark_k wrote in his thread.
Old 29 March 2013, 14:33   #12
thomas

Quote:
Ok, from an earlier post, I looked for my drive in HD toolbox. My HDD doesn't show up!

I am not sure why, perhaps it is because of my Blizzard card is not (software-wise) installed?
Mystery solved. Now all I have to do is find a way to install it!

EDIT

After thinking about it, I'm thinking that the reason why the HDD is not seen in HDTOOLBOX is because the system, while loading, is looking for a specific pre-determined scsi type, and not finding it. Ok, if I'm right, I have to change that, perhaps to "scsi=68060?

Drag the HDToolbox icon to Ram Disk. Then open Ram Disk, select the copy of HDToolbox and choose "icon -> information" from the menu. Find the tool type which reads "DEVICE=scsi.device". Change this to, well, the driver where your harddrive is connected to. If it's SCSI and it's connected to the 2060 SCSI controller, then use DEVICE=2060scsi.device. Press enter and save the change, then double click the new HDToolbox icon.

If both the HDD and the CD drive are connected to the 2060 SCSI, then HDToolbox should also show the CD drive (as "unknown"), so that you don't need to open the case to find out the SCSI ID of the CD drive.
Old 29 March 2013, 20:27   #13
tesla

Hello Thomas,

Ok, I have 3.1 now booting off of the HDD, I have installed it manually as you showed me earlier. (THANKS) my problem now seems to be the CD drive installation itself. Both it and the HDD show as DEVICE=2060scsi.device with the proper ID numbers, (6 for the HDD, 4 for the CD drive) after I changed them. However, I have still have problems. I can only get the cd drive to show on the desktop if I boot the system with a cd in the drive, it won't show the drive on the desktop if I insert one after the system is booted. If I click on the cd on the desktop it does open, but shows nothing inside. I have even tried Windows/show/all files instead of icons, no change, although it does show the drive is full. Oh, and if I boot the system with a cd inserted, then eject the disk, the reinsert the disk, the system locks up.

Last edited by tesla; 29 March 2013 at 21:00.
Old 29 March 2013, 21:16   #14
thomas

Does this happen for all CDs? Can you by chance read either the OS 3.9 or the OS 3.5 CD?

What other software do you have on floppy disk? Or do you have a means to copy files from a PC to your Amiga (other than on CD)?

BTW, the Amiga would boot faster if you gave the CD drive a higher ID than the HDD.
Old 29 March 2013, 21:31   #15
tesla

Thomas,
I have tried both 3.5 and 3.9 cd's, both show nothing, it doesn't seem to recognize audio cd's at all. I have no other software on cd, but I do know that both cd's are recognized on my pc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Does this happen for all CDs? Can you by chance read either the OS 3.9 or the OS 3.5 CD?

What other software do you have on floppy disk? Or do you have a means to copy files from a PC to your Amiga (other than on CD)?

BTW, the Amiga would boot faster if you gave the CD drive a higher ID than the HDD.

Last edited by tesla; 29 March 2013 at 22:24.
Old 29 March 2013, 21:33   #16
tesla

Thomas, I have made a null modem cable, perhaps I will learn how to use that with Vista, that machine is the only one I have that has a db9 serial port
Old 29 March 2013, 21:36   #17
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

But you can connect your scsi hard drive to your Pc with an adapter and use it with WinUAE
Old 29 March 2013, 21:41   #18
tesla

Retro, that is true. But that means I need to find a scsi card for my pc, and I'm not sure I want to do that (at least yet).
Old 29 March 2013, 21:49   #19
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

No, I say an adapter that connects to the hard drive of your amiga (with his own power supply) and to your Usb on your Pc, or perhaps I am wrong.
Not sure if this is the right one: http://www.ebay.es/itm/LogiLink-Adap...ht_1544wt_1084
Old 29 March 2013, 21:53   #20
tesla

Retro, that looks like a nice piece of hardware, but I have no idea what it is, I don't speak/write Spanish. What I want the most is to get the CD drive working, but I would really love a null modem cable type device that would allow me to transfer from the PC to the Amiga. I wonder if anyone makes one of those? :P