English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. C/C++

Old 10 September 2021, 16:57   #1
sparhawk

Opening Custom screen crashes

I was trying this example code fro the Data Becker Supergrafik book. On the disk there is also the binary which wokrs, but it was compiled with Lattice C. When I try to compile it on bebbos gcc, then the binary crashes.

I assume that I missing some compile or linker option. I have used this gcc for my other project as well, but this is usally not using the OS in most cases and it works.

Seems that only ".c" is allowed as attachment but not ".cpp"

Commandline is this:

Code:
amiga-g++   -I/opt/amiga/utils/include -I/opt/amiga/m68k-amigaos/ndk13-include -I/opt/amiga/m68k-amigaos/ndk-include  -D AMIGA_OS --save-temps -fverbose-asm -Wall -pedantic -mcrt=nix13 -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -std=c++11 -O2 -mregparm -fno-rtti -O3 -DNDEBUG   -o main.o -c main.cpp
amiga-g++  -D AMIGA_OS --save-temps -fverbose-asm -Wall -pedantic -mcrt=nix13 -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -std=c++11 -O2 -mregparm -fno-rtti -O3 -DNDEBUG  -Wl,--enable-auto-import main.cpp.o  -o ../bin/CustomScreen.exe -Wl,--out-implib,../bin/libCustomScreen.dll.a -Wl,--major-image-version,0,--minor-image-version,0  -L/opt/amiga/utils/lib -lAmigaUtils -lAmigaGCCUtils
Attached Files
File Type: c main.c (5.6 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by sparhawk; 10 September 2021 at 17:21.
Old 10 September 2021, 18:57   #2
paraj

Remove (or comment out) the line that includes <utils/dos/dos.h>, and try to compile with just
Code:
amiga-g++ main.cpp -o main.exe -mcrt=nix13
. That works for me with "m68k-amigaos-g++ (GCC) 6.5.0b 210726154642".

If that also works for you, then try adding back in some of your other compiler/linker flags
Old 10 September 2021, 20:50   #3
sparhawk

Thanks for trying it, so at least I know now that the source is working, as I assumed. Have to hunt it down where it goes wrong now...
Old 10 September 2021, 21:26   #4
jotd
This cat is no more

do you have a 68000? because it doesn't work on 68000 (startup code has word read at odd addresses)
Old 10 September 2021, 21:59   #5
paraj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
do you have a 68000? because it doesn't work on 68000 (startup code has word read at odd addresses)

Are you compiling with all of OPs compiler/linker options? Doing only what I wrote in my reply I get the attached binary, which works fine w/ UAE A500 quickstart.

Adding " -fverbose-asm -Wall -pedantic -mcrt=nix13 -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -std=c++11 -fno-rtti -O3 -DNDEBUG -s --save-temps" also seems fine, "-mregparm" however does not.
Attached Files
File Type: 68k main.68k (19.0 KB, 58 views)
Old 10 September 2021, 23:23   #6
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparhawk View Post
This is a C source. I don't see any C++ in it.

Quote:
Commandline is this:
Code:
  amiga-g++   -I/opt/amiga/utils/include -I/opt/amiga/m68k-amigaos/ndk13-include -I/opt/amiga/m68k-amigaos/ndk-include  -D AMIGA_OS --save-temps -fverbose-asm -Wall -pedantic -mcrt=nix13 -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -std=c++11 -O2 -mregparm -fno-rtti -O3 -DNDEBUG   -o main.o -c main.cpp
Why "g++"? It is plain C. Use a C compiler. No special options should be necessary. Just link with -lamiga for the stub functions (source doesn't use inlines via <proto/...>).
Really the only problem is the <utils/dos/dos.h>, which paraj already mentioned. It doesn't exist, but isn't required either.
Old 11 September 2021, 15:46   #7
sparhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraj View Post
Adding " -fverbose-asm -Wall -pedantic -mcrt=nix13 -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -std=c++11 -fno-rtti -O3 -DNDEBUG -s --save-temps" also seems fine, "-mregparm" however does not.

Yeah, it looks like regparm is the problem, though I fail to see why. When calling OS routines, they use regparams anyway.
Old 11 September 2021, 15:48   #8
sparhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
This is a C source. I don't see any C++ in it.

Yeah, because it didn't work with my original project and so I tested some older C code to see if there is a problem with my code or something else.

Anyway, it shouldn't matter if I use g++ or gcc because both should work with this simple code, right?
Old 11 September 2021, 18:01   #9
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Anyway, it shouldn't matter if I use g++ or gcc because both should work with this simple code, right?
It could make a difference. C is not a full subset of C++, there are some differences, so just use gcc instead.

Edit: Took a quick look at the code, and it's definitely not simple enough to be guaranteed to not make a difference.
Old 11 September 2021, 20:07   #10
sparhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
It could make a difference. C is not a full subset of C++, there are some differences, so just use gcc instead.

That's strange, because most of my code is ASM and some stuff I do with g++, without OS, and I never had any issues. But that 'regparm' can explain it, as I had problems with that before when forgot to keep that in mind.
Old 11 September 2021, 23:16   #11
bebbo
bye

Quote:
I was trying this example code fro the Data Becker Supergrafik book. On the disk there is also the binary which wokrs, but it was compiled with Lattice C. When I try to compile it on bebbos gcc, then the binary crashes.

I assume that I missing some compile or linker option. I have used this gcc for my other project as well, but this is usally not using the OS in most cases and it works.

Commandline is this:

Code:
amiga-g++  -D AMIGA_OS --save-temps -fverbose-asm -Wall -pedantic -mcrt=nix13 -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -std=c++11 -O2 -mregparm -fno-rtti -O3 -DNDEBUG  -Wl,--enable-auto-import main.cpp.o  -o ../bin/CustomScreen.exe -Wl,--out-implib,../bin/libCustomScreen.dll.a -Wl,--major-image-version,0,--minor-image-version,0  -L/opt/amiga/utils/lib -lAmigaUtils -lAmigaGCCUtils

duh - that's a complicated command line...

I'd fix includes

Code:
//#include <utils/dos/dos.h>
also remove duplicate includes... and use exit(0); instead of Exit(0); -- include <stdlib.h> for no warnings.
and then
Code:
m68k-amigaos-gcc -Os main.c -mcrt=nix13 -o sparhawk
and the program is working.

Ah - you want to use -mregparm too: many clib header do not supply the needed __stdargs, also main needs that!
So use the proto includes instead:
Code:
//#include <clib/dos_protos.h>
//#include <exec/types.h>
//#include <exec/memory.h>
//#include <intuition/intuition.h>
//#include <intuition/screens.h>

//#include <clib/exec_protos.h>
//#include <clib/graphics_protos.h>
//#include <clib/intuition_protos.h> 

#include <proto/exec.h>
#include <proto/intuition.h>
#include <proto/graphics.h>

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

//#include <utils/dos/dos.h>
and use
Code:
m68k-amigaos-gcc -Os main.c -mcrt=nix13 -o sparhawk -mregparm
and it's running fine again - plus it's a tad smaller, not profiting from -mregparm since your program only provides functions without params^^

and be nice to yourself and use volatile (and don't forget __stdargs at main)

Code:
volatile char *LeftMouse = (char *)0xbfe001;

void Color(void);
void Color_Cycle(void);

__stdargs int main(int argc, char *argv[])

there you go

Last edited by bebbo; 26 October 2023 at 13:18.
Old 12 September 2021, 14:25   #12
sparhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebbo View Post
duh - that's a complicated command line...

Yeah. Part of it is generated by cmake...

Quote:
there you go

Thanks!