English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga File Server

Old 16 December 2022, 18:16   #1
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Repository/preservation of flux images (.scp, KF raw, etc.)

Hi mates,
I recently saw, on Atari-Forum, a thread (https://atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=28228) regarding a huge repository of Atari ST flux images, fed from forum members.

We could do something similar (if it's not already done, but I think not in such an organized way, all in one place) for the Amiga.
It looks a great idea to me. I think that keeping the flux images too, and not only the derived .ipf, is important for faithful preservation. At least for the time being...
Old 17 December 2022, 03:30   #2
Abaddon

I think this is an excellent idea. It would probably be a good idea to have a few people curate the uploads to the collection to verify different versions and prevent duplicates, and to verify the dumps are good.

I would be more than happy help out and contribute.
Old 17 December 2022, 08:39   #3
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

We could host it on the file server. While cleaning up I found a number of non-ADF disk images and put them in '/EAB/Non TOSEC Games/Disk/Non-ADF'. Granted I don't really know how to curate it, but I'm sure if somebody is up to the task Turran would happily let that person have access to the folder.
Old 18 December 2022, 00:14   #4
Abaddon

I would me more than happy to work on this, maybe we can get Denis and BarryB to help as well. I have a lot of dumps and I'm sure we could get others to contribute. This will help me get new dumps to support in disk-analyse as well.
Old 18 December 2022, 03:07   #5
Supamax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
We could host it on the file server. While cleaning up I found a number of non-ADF disk images and put them in '/EAB/Non TOSEC Games/Disk/Non-ADF'.
Seems good to me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
I would me more than happy to work on this, maybe we can get Denis and BarryB to help as well. I have a lot of dumps and I'm sure we could get others to contribute. This will help me get new dumps to support in disk-analyse as well.
Ok!
We could also put in there all the non-official IPFs wich are scattered around...

Last edited by Supamax; 18 December 2022 at 03:34.
Old 18 December 2022, 04:49   #6
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
I have 422 amiga dumps verified with IPFs from my own collection. More if i add up the dumps that are not supported.
And even more with my contributors dumps.
Old 18 December 2022, 05:23   #7
Supamax

I knew you are a force of nature, Denis!
I see you are also a very active contributor in the Atari Forum.

I will contribute with my Amiga and ST dumps of original floppies, too.

Last edited by Supamax; 05 March 2023 at 01:05.
Old 18 December 2022, 08:32   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Great Should we create a new top level folder for it then? Call it 'Flux images'? I'd ask Turran to give you, Denis, Barry and Supamax access to it and would move contributions in an 'incoming' folder for you to sort.
Old 18 December 2022, 09:10   #9
Turran

Sounds like a plan as long as the upload rules are followed. Just let me know the name and structure you want and I'll set it up.

/Flux_Images/ (everyone read, some with full access inside)
/Flux_Images/Incoming (everyone read, upload accounts write, some with full access)

Something like that?

Last edited by Turran; 18 December 2022 at 09:33.
Old 18 December 2022, 10:52   #10
Supamax

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Great Should we create a new top level folder for it then? Call it 'Flux images'?
Nice for me

Quote:
I'd ask Turran to give you, Denis, Barry and Supamax access to it and would move contributions in an 'incoming' folder for you to sort.
Ok.
I have some dozen original titles, though, absolutely not comparable to the archive (and knowledge base / experience on fluxes and disk protections) of Denis and Barry .

Last edited by Supamax; 18 December 2022 at 11:41.
Old 18 December 2022, 15:25   #11
Turran

Structure and permissions set up. PM me your TURRAN FTP usernames and I'll add you to the Flux_Admin group.
Old 18 December 2022, 15:47   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turran View Post
Structure and permissions set up. PM me your TURRAN FTP usernames and I'll add you to the Flux_Admin group.

I've moved 'Flux_SCP' and 'SPSRAW' to the incoming folder. Please have a look at '/EAB/Non TOSEC Games/Disk/Non-ADF' and let me know which files/folders should be moved to the new flux area.
Old 19 December 2022, 00:29   #13
Abaddon

Couple of questions

Do we want to standardize a specific compression format 7z?

Should we add an info file to the archive or as a separate file with protection info, track format, Uploader, etc.?

We need to come up with a standard naming scheme - do we include verification info in the name (official ipf verification, whdload installs verification, disk-analyse, unverified). When I add new decoders to disk-analyse I then use a WHDLoad installer to verify it when possible.

Do we want to create sub directories under /Flux_Images/ for letters of the alphabet, game name or other?
Old 19 December 2022, 01:48   #14
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
I have flushed my 422 dumps in the Flux image folder.
Old 19 December 2022, 04:06   #15
Supamax

If one has to newly image a disk,
what is preferable between:
- 5 revs .scp flux image
- 5 revs KF raw flux image
- both

?
Old 19 December 2022, 06:25   #16
Abaddon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supamax View Post
If one has to newly image a disk,
what is preferable between:
- 5 revs .scp flux image
- 5 revs KF raw flux image
- both

?
Not sure you need to do both formats. Either one is fine with me, but Denis may prefer KF raw stream. If you use the DoDump.bat file from the kryoflux forums then it uses type 0 "KryoFlux stream files, preservation", which defaults to 5 revs.

I have a Kryofux card and a Supercard Pro, but normally use the Kryoflux. May possibly pick up a GreaseWeazle in the future.
Old 19 December 2022, 09:00   #17
Supamax

Quote:
If you use the DoDump.bat file from the kryoflux forums then it uses type 0 "KryoFlux stream files, preservation", which defaults to 5 revs.
Is that .bat file valid for Greaseweazle (which I have) or for KF only (which I do not have)?
Old 19 December 2022, 09:35   #18
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quick question: Are '.raw' files interesting for the project?
Old 19 December 2022, 10:15   #19
Turran

I've been doing some testing on moving files instead of downloading/deleting/uploading as that seems redundant.. You do have filemove permissions in the Flux_Admin group so.

With FlashFXP which is what i use, you can simply right click a bunch of files or folders and select "Move" and get a requester on where to move them. The actual command generated is RMTO which is "Rename TO". That works.

With FileZilla, its not as clever. You CAN drag files and folders into other folders or onto the ".." for the parent dir, but moving stuff into folders you can't currently see is not as easy. https://www.webhostinghub.com/help/l...ving-files-ftp

But I've not found an easy way to move files around other than that. I was hoping you could show Remote-Remote instead of the standard Local-Remote to drag files that way but seems its not possible.
What you can do to make it slightly easier, is enable "View" / "Remote directory tree". Then you can drag from the file section to the directory tree above it, providing you see the folder you want it moved to first. That makes it somewhat OK.

Trying WinSCP, you can at least right click files and folders and select "Move To". You'll then get a path requester but no way to actually browse to the destination. You have to type it so not as intuitive.

I would recommend trying to find another FTP client to more easily move files and folders (FlashFXP is kinda old now and no longer supported. Plus it costs money if I remember correctly, so ignore it).

TCD, I highly suspect this affects your cleanup work as well =)

Last edited by Turran; 19 December 2022 at 10:31.
Old 19 December 2022, 10:27   #20
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turran View Post
TCD, I highly suspect this affects your cleanup work as well =)
Yep, but for the current steps I check disks against the TOSEC Dat files so downloading a lot it is

Moving files (not downloading and uploading them again) in FileZilla is indeed a bit cumbersome, but the fact that the lower half of the server side of the window 'sticks' and you can use the upper half to navigate to the folder you want to move to helps a bit. Hopefully that made any sense

As an alternative on Windows is WinSCP (https://winscp.net/eng/docs/free_ftp_client_for_windows). Haven't tried it myself, but it might be worht a try.