English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 17 April 2007, 03:34   #1
MethodGit

Super Methane Brothers - AGA support soon?

It appears the WHDLoad install is unable to choose between ECS and AGA graphics, both of which exist on the same pair of disks. Could support be implemented sometime in the future? Not too desperate, but it would be a nice feature, thank you.
Old 17 April 2007, 03:49   #2
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Can you explain what you mean exactly, what version(s) you have, where did you get the file etc. It is very frustrating getting things like this reported here when the official WHDLoad site has a proper support section for each game.

Incidentally the HOL record does not mention AGA graphics at all, the CD32 version has an animated intro but is not AGA, the original 2 disk version I got from Carlo all those years ago certainly does not have this AGA graphics option you speak of etc so I really don't know what you're going on about!
Old 17 April 2007, 03:51   #3
MethodGit

Strange, I coulda sworn it was both ECS/AGA. I'll have to check it out tomorrow, not at this time!
Old 17 April 2007, 03:54   #4
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper
Can you explain what you mean exactly, what version(s) you have, where did you get the file etc. It is very frustrating getting things like this reported here when the official WHDLoad site has a proper support section for each game.
You mean the mail report form for each install? That appears to be designed for bug reports, not sure what I have to input in all those options just for minor/intertesting suggestions/ideas!
Old 17 April 2007, 10:44   #5
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I'm pretty sure if you boot winuae in ECS mode and run it, it looks different to when you boot in AGA mode.

I remember testing the whdload version and I'm sure it boots in the same manner.

You can tell the difference because the first screen has a different background colour (purple vs orange/brown).
Old 17 April 2007, 15:15   #6
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
I thaught the full game autodetected but I know the demo came in both ecs and aga (The One coverdisk)

Last edited by Mad-Matt; 17 April 2007 at 15:34.
Old 18 April 2007, 13:44   #7
MethodGit

Ah-ha! Here's what I discovered last night ladies and gentlemen...

Well, first off, it appears this game hasn't been SPS'd yet, so I was unable to test a complete original and see if it had AGA support myself. So instead I used the closest available thing - the Paradox cracked version. Alas, despite my many efforts, it insisted on booting with ECS graphics even under an AGA configuration in WinUAE. It looked like I was beat in the end.

Until......!

I thought to test the "re-vised" version available over at Ami Sector One (and was also on BTTR when it was still up and running). This edition was done by the original author of the game and is relatively clean with its bootup sequence (no cracktro whatsoever, just goes straight to the game). And guess what? This version has AGA graphics! Indeed, it mentions this on the page I've linked to and also in the original news piece dated June 27 2001.

So there you go, it appears that Mr Page either worked hard on adding a graphics switch mode to the game years after its original release, or it was hidden somehow and supposed to be made available originally but alas wasn't programmed properly back then. In fact, CT, you knew about the ASO release yourself, as evidenced by the link on the slave's page! I wonder why you didn't notice the graphics switch function back then?
Old 18 April 2007, 13:55   #8
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

You sure this doesn't happen with the WHDLoad version too?

I never use ADFs and I've definitely witnessed the different versions (I'm not confusing the CD32 version)
Old 18 April 2007, 20:56   #9
MethodGit

It definitely doesn't happen in the WHDLoad version.... tried that this morning.

It just uses the ECS graphics regardless of chipset.
Old 18 April 2007, 21:39   #10
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Yep you're right.

I must remember both versions when testing out the adf before installing it. I think the images I had were labelled AGA and I wanted to make sure it would work with whdload.
Old 18 April 2007, 23:48   #11
Codetapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit
In fact, CT, you knew about the ASO release yourself, as evidenced by the link on the slave's page! I wonder why you didn't notice the graphics switch function back then?
Actually I didn't.

I made a slave for the ORIGINAL which Dr Bong tested, and it worked. And then later on I was told about that version on Ami Sector One and added it to the readme because it worked with my slave.

When the game runs fine with an alternate version there is no reason to go and disassemble the game to see if they changed a few bytes around.
Old 19 April 2007, 00:50   #12
MethodGit

I just wanted to say that using the ASO ADFs as disk images for the WHDLoad install doesn't seem to make the game detect an AGA chipset afterwards. Damn.

Furthermore, the CD³² version *is* an AGA game. Compare the graphics of, say, the 1/2-player menu and the first level in both versions! The same AGA graphics are used in the AGA version of the revised floppy SMB.
Old 19 April 2007, 08:41   #13
Codetapper

Since you are such the expert Marz, why don't you patch it since I'm going away on holiday? I mean you haven't even uploaded the disk images or anything useful so you may as well do the whole thing yourself, no?
Old 19 April 2007, 10:47   #14
MethodGit

Geez, there's no need to be like that. I'm only trying to help!

You obviously have a problem with me a lot of the time....
Old 19 April 2007, 15:48   #15
pbareges

do not fight the masters of our world (ie the moderators)... Seriously i think your attitude is ok but it's just that you're pushing it too much sometimes, always on the request side...keep it quiet and eat moderators up and downs (they're humans after all...) and you'll continue to benefit from the best amiga services/expertise over the world. you may start with "I'm sorry codetapper if you took my request as an offence and i want to thank you for the great amount of time and work you dedicated to developping whd slaves. have fun in your holidays and we will sort it out as soon as you get disposed to". this may ease the process...
Old 05 April 2009, 13:17   #16
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

*Bump* Hi CT, you couldnt be so kind as to look into this again would you? And could anyone Zone the enhanced version? I remember the demo of the game had the automatic choice of gfx on my 1200. Can't remember for the life of me if my own copy at home did the same (probably not).
Old 05 April 2009, 15:00   #17
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiriad View Post
*Bump* Hi CT, you couldnt be so kind as to look into this again would you? And could anyone Zone the enhanced version? I remember the demo of the game had the automatic choice of gfx on my 1200. Can't remember for the life of me if my own copy at home did the same (probably not).
I remember The One having a demo with both AGA and ECS graphics too. So somehow this was implemented since the beginning.
Old 05 April 2009, 15:51   #18
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

Thanks for corroborating Akira . I am somewhat mystified that an SPS of this is not available - I'm sure I would have dumped an image back in the day.

Anyway, I loaded up the SMB disk images (Disk.1 and Disk.2) that are in the ECS WHD install as adf's in A1200 mode and yes the AGA gfx load up automatically. The AGA menu background is dark brown rather than reddy brown in the ECS one.

As such, the install just requires to be altered to be able to be run in A1200 mode and it should then be possible to have the AGA version.

Last edited by Antiriad; 05 April 2009 at 16:15.