English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 11 February 2011, 23:09   #1
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

Does anyone here remember an old P.D Title called Renegades?

I feel like that guy from the Yellow Pages ad, that J.R Hartley fella regarding his 'Fly-Tipping' book...or something.

Years ago a friend and I made a P.D game called Renegades, an Alien Breed inspired top-down split-screen death match game. *phew*

I recently uploaded a video to youtube of me playing this game on my Samsung Galaxy S mobile phone via an emulator here: [ Show youtube player ]

The reason I have found this forum is down to a nice guy commenting on the Youtube video and then linking me to this forum, I wish I had known about it before.
I have heard talk that there may be a P.D C.D in production at some point? If this is the case I would like to include the other version of Renegades on it, this other version has nicer tiles compared to the original.

If anyone remembers it and wishes to see a graphic comparison I will provide one.

Thanks for your time guys!!
Old 12 February 2011, 00:08   #2
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Welcome LordNipple to EAB!

Peter here - I made contact with you on Youtube... I have to say a big thank you to s2325 for the youtube link and to Solid Snake who if I remember correctly introduced me to Renegades back in 2006 when I was (and still am!!) searching for the game Scavenge... the two games share the same theme so to speak (hunt and kill!!) and both are good in their own way...

LordNipple - you can check this thread... http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=56977 to see what EAB Member amigapd is doing in preparation to create a new best of Amiga PD CD for CD32 and you can also check this thread... http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=56124 to check out amigapd's new website totally dedicated to amiga PD games!!

This is amigapd's site... http://www.amigapd.com/

I will check to see what version of your game we have on our server and I will post back here with the information - I think we have the final version but I'll check to be sure.

It would be fantastic to get any other version of Renegades you may have!
I would also say that it is probably about time we got this excellent little PD game into the Amiga Hall of Light as well...

LordNipple - check out The Amiga Hall of Light (Click)

Check out some other PD game that we recently added to the database...

Scavenger II

Toado

Hydrozone

Be great to get Renegades into HOL with some game info and some screen shots...!

Enjoy your stay on EAB mate!

Last edited by Peter; 12 February 2011 at 00:25.
Old 12 February 2011, 01:04   #3
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

Thanks for the warm welcome....forums are scary things!!

I will check out your links!
Many many thanks for yor time.

Here are some screenies of the cleaner version of Renegades (which had an outdoor set of tiles...so players could go outside of the walls...pure cosmetic, there were no machanics involved)

Here are some screens of the newer version of Renegades, that we never got to release..

http://www..com/imageview.p...st6eyv&thumb=4
http://www..com/imageview.p...uncvtt&thumb=4
http://www..com/imageview.p...wmme8w&thumb=4

I would like to try to get this version ready in time for that P.D cd release....
Old 12 February 2011, 01:08   #4
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Welcome to EAB LordNipple!

Nice new graphics there Looking forward to see that improved version and enjoy your stay
Old 12 February 2011, 11:15   #5
Peter
Still an Amiga user

New screens do look good!

I have uploaded an ADF of "Renegades" to the Zone in case anyone fancies a go...

I like these Hunt and Kill "Deathmatch" type games, there were a few others in the same style released on the Amiga PD scene - Renegades, Scavenge, Brutal Homicide, Extreme Violence - anyone know any others...?

Last edited by Peter; 12 February 2011 at 14:27.
Old 12 February 2011, 20:19   #6
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

God, I remember Extreme Violence, I LOVED that game!!
Thanks for the big welcome guys, I know I will be knocking about here for many an hour!
Thanks for linking me to this board Peter!

I will have to load up Amos Pro and the various custom editors that Kevin made for editing the maps, I reckon these next couple of days off work will be fun.

Thanks for liking the newer gfx, if you think it's worth my time I shall include them in a newer version of Renegades (barring any unforseeable problems)
I always wanted to make some more maps for it, it looks like there are people playing it after all!

The best way to play it is on a 1200, with your mates and a few beers.
Enable energy-loss timer, when it hits zero both player's health are reduced to next to zero, so it's a case of 'Next Shot Kills'

Oh, and woospeed is always a laugh....

The best character to play as is Trident, he has a triple barrel machine gun.
Zed is the fastest.

I want to apologise for the poor menu interactivity, I always wanted to change it but I was too busy going out to the pub at the time :/

I wish Kevin and I had persued our other games now, Bunnyhunt was a favourite of mine, 'Hard-nose marine sent into bunny infested forest to cull numbers' - For a laugh.
we had allsorts on the boil. I am glad people still enjoy Renegades though.
Old 12 February 2011, 21:38   #7
seuden
uber cool demi god

Looks awesome LordNipple!! Great work and welcome to EAB! I just wish I could get someone to play with!!

Maybe an online version??

I might try to persuade the missus!!

Please if there is any chance that we could see any other works of yours it would be much appreciated!!

HydroZone is awesome Peter!! Pictures really do not do it justice!
Old 12 February 2011, 22:10   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordNipple View Post
Thanks for liking the newer gfx, if you think it's worth my time I shall include them in a newer version of Renegades (barring any unforseeable problems)
That would be great Maybe someone could even help out with a simple AI for some single-player action? Well, I can dream
Either way, please consider releasing a new version
Old 12 February 2011, 22:19   #9
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

Haha, Seuden, Thankyou for your kind and warm welcome!

Big hello to TheCyberDruid too!!

I have been meaning to email the creator of the Amiga Emulator WinUAE for some time now regarding an online feature, I am more than confident it can be done for Amiga multiplayer games, no time like the present, I will send it tonight.

We toyed with simple A.I in the early days of Renegades but it was basic and really didn't make much of an opponent...shame really.

I will say that I will update the original version of Renegades to use the newer nicer tiles, now that I know people want to play it.
Old 12 February 2011, 22:23   #10
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
I have been meaning to email the creator of the Amiga Emulator WinUAE for some time now regarding an online feature, I am more than confident it can be done for Amiga multiplayer games, no time like the present, I will send it tonight.
Well, Toni already said that he's not interested in a network feature : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=335728#post335728
Old 12 February 2011, 22:43   #11
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

Ahh....I have already submitted my suggestion...sandwiched between lots of heart felt thanks for allowing Amiga to live on.

I am honestly baffled that a network feature is out of the question?
I mean, finding 2 Amiga lover in the same room these days is a difficult thing to come by! Finding them in the same STREET is equally as difficult, network play is surely the most logical way to go.

Maybe I am just getting sentimental, but I would LOVE to play against people online in a game of Speedball 2, SWOS or even Renegades...
Old 12 February 2011, 22:51   #12
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

There's an old version of WinUAE that works with Kaillera. There's a site that still uses it via a Hamachi network : http://amigaonline.forumactif.net/
Chances are they can help you get a ready-to-go version of Renegades for use with that WinUAE made
Old 12 February 2011, 22:54   #13
seuden
uber cool demi god

There is a way to play online using WinUAE-Kaillera that Hungry Horace maintains IIRC. I really should look into it!

EDIT: Damn you TCD
Old 12 February 2011, 22:56   #14
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

That is incredible.
Many thanks TheCyberDruid!

I will have to get my nicer version of Renegades ready.
Old 12 February 2011, 23:01   #15
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden View Post
EDIT: Damn you TCD
Nah nah nananaaah
Well, it's always good to see people are in to give people an insight of what's possible So cheers for joining this thread and showing your interest seuden
Old 14 February 2011, 16:57   #16
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

Ok, just an update on where I am with my Renegades re-release.

I had to get the newer tiles into the full version of Renegades, (I have several versions in .adf format, some with the right tiles but not the right number of maps, etc etc) so I am in the process of getting the right tiles installed, they now work, there is only one new tileset that will replace the older tiles (the original Renegades had 3 tilesets that the game randomized, giving each level a different look each time you played it, but they are ugly and I always wanted to change them)...so now the maps are a little garbled, so i'll have to load up the custom made map editor to re-edit the maps and make them look nice. I didn't expect to be at this stage so soon, but it's amazing how much comes back to you after so many years, it was odd poking around the original source code for Renegades, which I think is still on the .ADF file that you guys have in your collections.

Cleaning the maps up might take some time but it's a relaxing job. I know that I wanted to make more maps, taking the total over the original 10 maps, but I have to somehow edit the game data file, and it's in the .DAT format and I can't remember how to edit it, i can't remember if a custom program was written to edit this file or not. If someone knows how to edit a .DAT file I would be very grateful.

For those who like Renegades there will be a nicer looking version up for release very soon, and hopefully it will be ready in time for inclusion on The Best Of Amiga CD that is being produced.
Old 14 February 2011, 17:17   #17
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Nah nah nananaaah
Well, it's always good to see people are in to give people an insight of what's possible So cheers for joining this thread and showing your interest seuden
Just doin' what I can TCD, you know me.

Quote:
Ok, just an update on where I am with my Renegades re-release.

I had to get the newer tiles into the full version of Renegades, (I have several versions in .adf format, some with the right tiles but not the right number of maps, etc etc) so I am in the process of getting the right tiles installed, they now work, there is only one new tileset that will replace the older tiles (the original Renegades had 3 tilesets that the game randomized, giving each level a different look each time you played it, but they are ugly and I always wanted to change them)...so now the maps are a little garbled, so i'll have to load up the custom made map editor to re-edit the maps and make them look nice. I didn't expect to be at this stage so soon, but it's amazing how much comes back to you after so many years, it was odd poking around the original source code for Renegades, which I think is still on the .ADF file that you guys have in your collections.

Cleaning the maps up might take some time but it's a relaxing job. I know that I wanted to make more maps, taking the total over the original 10 maps, but I have to somehow edit the game data file, and it's in the .DAT format and I can't remember how to edit it, i can't remember if a custom program was written to edit this file or not. If someone knows how to edit a .DAT file I would be very grateful.

For those who like Renegades there will be a nicer looking version up for release very soon, and hopefully it will be ready in time for inclusion on The Best Of Amiga CD that is being produced.
Awesome news LordNipple!! I can't wait to try this on my Xbox/PS3 then there's more chance the Missus will play me.
Old 14 February 2011, 17:43   #18
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

I hope you can rope your wife into a game!

I have just been on the map editor, I am still a little rusty but i'm finding my way around it nicely
Old 17 February 2011, 00:06   #19
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

Ok, I just thought I would stop by and update on how things are going...

I have the new tileset working within the game. I had tried to re-program the intro with new bits, but I ran into the old nemesis that was the error message 'Failed returncode 20' whenever I tried anything new. So I am currently re-editing maps with the new tiles so the game looks as nice as it can do.

...I am looking forward to seeing what you guys think of it.
Old 17 February 2011, 00:21   #20
kriz

Really cool with a update after all these years, respect !!