English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 29 January 2010, 13:16   #1
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Does anyone print from their Amiga?

I am finding the need to print more and more stuff from my real Amiga and I was thinking of buying a second hand black and white printer that I could just use from the parallel port to print out simple text... I thought I would ask the question - does anyone use a printer on their Amiga?

I have WinUAE set up on my laptop so as a last resort could I set that up to print to my laptop printer - how do you set up WinUAE to print?? - Every time I have tried, the print job states that it cant find the printer

I have USB on my A1200 but I cant find a modem USB printer that has an Amiga USB printer driver to support it. (Are there any Amiga USB Printer Drivers??)

Does anyone even bother using a printer from their Amiga??
If you do can you tell me what you own or maybe what you recommend.
Old 29 January 2010, 13:23   #2
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
I would also like to print from my Amiga.
Preferably, I want to do it over my network with my PC printer.
I suspect I need to set up SAMBA, but I have tried in the past and found it to be a futile experience.
Can I print over FTP?
Old 29 January 2010, 15:12   #3
Fabie
Banned

I print sometimes on my A1200 but for fun only cause print anything on the PC it's better and easy
I have an epson stylus color 600..it works fine..there are drivers on aminet

I recommend en epson stylus color 400 or an epson 600 or an epson C60....great printers and works very well on the amiga

please note that you must buy them by second hand

btw, printing text is fast on the amiga..like on the PC,but printing a photo in color is slow...because the Amiga parallel transfer rate is sloooow
Old 29 January 2010, 17:32   #4
fc.studio
Cat lover

I'm very happy with OKI B4400 I bought last year. Now I believe the newer B410 has replaced it.

For more info about printers read here:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=39277
Old 29 January 2010, 18:12   #5
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Used to use a Canon BJC-what's the number? on my A1200 and 2000 in near past.

Canon drivers are in Aminet and maybe they can work for USB Canon units.

The same for HP printers, try the parallel older versions on the USB printer, if you have them at hand.
Old 29 January 2010, 22:29   #6
Peter
Still an Amiga user

If I plug my USB Laptop printer (Samsung) into my A1200 Subway USB port, Trident identifies that the correct printer is attached.
Now where do I go from here I wonder - I have always set up a printer on a real Amiga from system/prefs/printer preferences - only parallel or serial devices are an option here...

Thanks for the link fc.studio - I guess your Oki Printer is connected to your Amiga via parallel?

I don't want a colour printer - I would only ever print simple text from my Amiga.
Old 29 January 2010, 22:35   #7
fc.studio
Cat lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post

Thanks for the link fc.studio - I guess your Oki Printer is connected to your Amiga via parallel?
Yes, that printer is connected in the same time to Amiga via parallel and to PC via USB. This is a black & white laser/led printer and it's very fast with Amiga.
Old 29 January 2010, 23:28   #8
Merlin
AmiBay MegaMod

@ rkauer

I think you mean the Canon BJC2100 or 4100 series.
Old 29 January 2010, 23:33   #9
amigakit.com

All our Amigas in the office are connected to HP laserjets and we use Ghostscript 8 to print our documents and invoices.
Old 29 January 2010, 23:40   #10
twizzle

i use a panasonic kx-p2123 24pin dotmatrix colour/b&w paralell printer
with wordworth 5 se

in fact i will shortly be doing my CV with it,

Last edited by twizzle; 29 January 2010 at 23:46.
Old 29 January 2010, 23:42   #11
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
All our Amigas in the office are connected to HP laserjets and we use Ghostscript 8 to print our documents and invoices.
Hi, HP Laser Printers connected via parallel?
Is Ghostcript software like Turboprint?

Amigakit - do you know of any modern usb printers that work with the Subway device?
Old 30 January 2010, 01:03   #12
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
Have you tried the Anaiis USB stack? It has USB printer support

http://aminet.net/search?query=anaiis
Old 30 January 2010, 01:04   #13
amigakit.com

We use a mixture of Laserjets attached via parallel and ethernet (HP Jetdirect)

Higher priced HPs are good to get as they support HP Printer Control Language (PCL) which means that Turboprint will usually support them.

Ghostscript is free and can be downloaded here: http://www.whoosh777.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

It will work with our EasyGS software: http://www.amigakit.com/easygs/EasyGS.lha
Old 01 February 2010, 15:36   #14
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Thanks for the advice people... my search for the perfect Amiga print set up will continue - I will post back here when I have more news.
Old 01 February 2010, 18:18   #15
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
@ rkauer

I think you mean the Canon BJC2100 or 4100 series.
Nope, was a BJC10, I remember now. Good printer, not so good ink. I gave it away a few months for a friend.
Old 01 February 2010, 19:06   #16
mrodfr

Hello,

I have used first a canon BJ200 (blackNWhite) and after a epson stylus Photo 750 (color).

Honestly, the canon was better in blackNwhite than the epson. Both work with parallel but the epson have also USB1 and after I have got a spider2 and poseidon but never try to print with USB+poseidon. Maybe that work fine....

Now I have good pinter at job. just send a mail for the things to print and no probleme ;-)
Old 02 February 2010, 03:37   #17
Photon

Yes, early HP Laserjets are heavily recommended by me !

I have an HP Laserjet 4ML, I think it's one of the newest 'non Windows printers' out there. I love it I couldn't have it directly connected to the parallel port, as I turn on my hefty Amiga rig with a 5-outlet thingy with a switch and some lasers are heavy on the power at startup so it gave me a surge. I already had a parallel port switcher for my sampler, so I just switch it all on and then connect the printer when I do some printing, works fine.

I think I had an OKI (led laser printer) and some gigantic office pro laser printer connected to my Amiga through the centuries.

But I recommend HP laserjet 1/2/3/4.
Old 02 February 2010, 08:46   #18
marcfrick2112
Amiga Fanatic

I almost laughed when I read the thread title.... I guess I must have an "amiga printer fetish" or something. I have printers for 4 of my 5 miggies, mostly Epson Stylus Photo / Photo 700 's , and TurboPrint7 on the software side...

I've had 24-pin dot matrix printers, Cannon BJC-1000, and an HP DeskJet (930C, maybe?) hooked up to various Amigas through the years.....

Please, anyone who has had success using USB printers with existing drivers... let me know. I thought that USB printers needed specific drivers, even if the printer is otherwise identical compared to its' parallel 'cousin' .... Even if the USB stack supports printers.....I'd really love to be proven wrong here.....

And, I'd say that I Need a high-quality printer for my Amiga... my dad (70 years old and an Amiga fanatic) would say the same thing....he's scanned old photos, edited them, and printed out perfect 'restored' copies. I print tape/CD/DVD labels, custom decals, grab frames from DVD's, VCD's, and tapes, and print out CD/DVD covers, etc... Of course, my pathetic computer 'art' (mostly using DCTV Paint) And the occasional Lightwave render....

BTW, @Amigakit.com , thanks for the Ghostscript link!!
Old 02 February 2010, 10:15   #19
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcfrick2112 View Post
Please, anyone who has had success using USB printers with existing drivers... let me know. I thought that USB printers needed specific drivers, even if the printer is otherwise identical compared to its' parallel 'cousin' .... Even if the USB stack supports printers.....I'd really love to be proven wrong here.....
I don't think you will be proved wrong...

I cant see how any USB printer will ever work on an Amiga unless someone writes a USB specific driver package for it - I think some people (not you) are getting confused here because they are expecting the USB software to do the work... the USB software just recognises the printer is connected, nothing else.

I wonder if Turboprint is still in production - I could email them and ask the question... is the next version of Turboprint going to include some USB Printer specific Amiga drivers?

Worth a shot I suppose.
Old 02 February 2010, 10:41   #20
amigakit.com

You can use USB printers with the current Turboprint. In the printer device box, you enter USBparallel.device instead of parallel.device to use the one of the Subways USB connectors.