English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 25 May 2021, 15:32   #1
alancfrancis

Accessing the Early Startup Menu

Hi there,

I'm using FS-UAE happily (on a Mac) for quite some time but just hit a problem I'm hoping someone can help me with.

In advance of AmigaOS 3.2 arriving, I've prepped a CF card to copy the CD to. When I connect this into FS-UAE my system now has multiple bootable disks.

I have my original folder-based Systems 3.1.4 and my new CF card with two bootable (but empty) partitions.

On my real amiga, I can hold down both menu buttons to get to the early startup menu and choose a disk to boot from. Is there an option to do this in FS-UAE ? (either manually configure the priorities, or access the early startup menu).

Any help appreciated,

Alan
Old 25 May 2021, 16:06   #2
Matt_H

You can access the Early Startup Menu in the usual way, by holding down both mouse buttons, although that can be difficult on a Mac thanks to Apple's one-button design philosophy. (I speak from experience ) You'll need a third-party external mouse with 2+ buttons.

I think the boot priorities can also be changed in the config file, but you'll have to adjust by hand per the parameters in the documentation. I can't recall if the GUI makes those options available anywhere.
Old 25 May 2021, 18:59   #3
alancfrancis

Thanks! I used an old MS Mouse and it worked! However, didn't seem to matter what I picked it tried to boot from the CF Card empty partition not the folder.

I've ended up making the CF card partitions non bootable for now. Once I get the files copied over sing FS-UAE I can make it bootable again just before I put it into the real amiga. :-)
Old 25 May 2021, 19:18   #4
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

You can tune the priority of the directory hard drive with
hard_drive_0_priority
(if it's the first drive).

To access the boot menu, using the option
uae_cpu_reset_pause=true
can help; this gives you an additional second after Amiga reset to give you time to press the buttons.
Old 25 May 2021, 21:44   #5
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
You can access the Early Startup Menu in the usual way, by holding down both mouse buttons, although that can be difficult on a Mac thanks to Apple's one-button design philosophy. (I speak from experience ) You'll need a third-party external mouse with 2+ buttons.

I think the boot priorities can also be changed in the config file, but you'll have to adjust by hand per the parameters in the documentation. I can't recall if the GUI makes those options available anywhere.
I cant think of another use case for needing to press both mouse buttons at the same time though?

My magic mouse detecting im using two fingers are the second mouse button works well.
Old 25 May 2021, 23:41   #6
Matt_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
I cant think of another use case for needing to press both mouse buttons at the same time though?

My magic mouse detecting im using two fingers are the second mouse button works well.

Some games require both buttons simultaneously. One of my faves, the classic Typhoon Thompson, springs to mind and I'm sure there are lots of others over the past few decades on Amiga, PC, and Mac.

AmigaOS itself makes use of both buttons. Pressing RMB while holding LMB will cancel an operation in progress (dragging an icon, resizing a window).

I know Apple mice can be set to recognize both LMB and RMB but I thought there was still no way to press them both at the same time. Perhaps I'm wrong?
Old 25 May 2021, 23:57   #7
alancfrancis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
You can tune the priority of the directory hard drive with
hard_drive_0_priority
(if it's the first drive).

To access the boot menu, using the option
uae_cpu_reset_pause=true
can help; this gives you an additional second after Amiga reset to give you time to press the buttons.
Interestingly the boot priorities all looked right when I made it into the boot menu, and whatever I picked in the boot menu it still went for the CF Card. Are you saying that the UAE config file is what's used and the "boot priority" on the actual disk is ignored ? Thats good to know for next time :-)

Quote:
know Apple mice can be set to recognize both LMB and RMB but I thought there was still no way to press them both at the same time. Perhaps I'm wrong?
Nope you're right. My Magic Mouse has LEFT and RIGHT working fine, but not both together. MS Mouse worked like a charm.
Old 26 May 2021, 00:02   #8
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancfrancis View Post
Are you saying that the UAE config file is what's used and the "boot priority" on the actual disk is ignored ? Thats good to know for next time :-)
No, specifying priorities only works for directory hard drives and "single partition HDFs" which has no explicit priority to begin with. When you load a RDB/RDSK HDF, AmigaOS will read the priorities from the disk image as usual (as a real Amiga).
Old 26 May 2021, 00:05   #9
alancfrancis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
No, specifying priorities only works for directory hard drives and "single partition HDFs" which has no explicit priority to begin with. When you load a RDB/RDSK HDF, AmigaOS will read the priorities from the disk image as usual (as a real Amiga).
Ooh so... maybe I got my priorities the wrong way round.

The CF card has two partitions with priority 10 and 20, the directory disks all showed up in the boot menu as 0. The floppies as negative numbers. I suppose I was thinking about it like an ordered list with lowest numbers booting first. Is that wrong ? Should I set the directory disk to >20 ?
Old 26 May 2021, 00:39   #10
bubbob42

You can also enter the bootmenue by holding down help key (or whatever key fs-uae maps it to) after a reset.
Old 26 May 2021, 14:17   #11
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:

I know Apple mice can be set to recognize both LMB and RMB but I thought there was still no way to press them both at the same time. Perhaps I'm wrong?
No, don't think you are wring, just don't remember much need for this functionality outside of AmigaOS