English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 30 November 2009, 14:55   #1
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

WANTED: Amiga CD32 Console

Hi all!

I've now decided i would like a CD32 console to go with my collection So i'm looking for a complete CD32 console with all leads and controller... maybe a few games too! It must be in excellent condition and full working order

If anyone wants to sell a CD32 console bundle then please let me know, Cheers
Old 30 November 2009, 15:43   #2
mike4466

amiga cd32 consoles on ebay

hi powerpie5000
Theres a few amiga cd32 consoles on ebay some with games as well.
Old 30 November 2009, 18:19   #3
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
If you`ve got anything for my A4000 030 I might trade my CD32
Old 30 November 2009, 19:30   #4
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
If you`ve got anything for my A4000 030 I might trade my CD32
Unfortunately that is one of the Miggy's i've never had the pleasure of owning, sorry but I only have spare parts for my A500 and A1200

I will do what mike4466 suggested and have another browse on ebay... but sometimes the "buy it now" prices can be bit high for an "average" condition CD32... and i'm looking to buy one soon instead of waiting for auctions to end (i can be a little bit impatient )
Old 30 November 2009, 19:52   #5
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Ok i was watching a CD32 bundle on ebay with a "buy it now" price of £49.99... I decided to go and buy it but the seller has now bumped up the price to £65

I looked at some of the other CD32 console's on ebay but the prices seem a bit high and i don't want one that is covered in scratches or been taken apart!

Last edited by PowerPie5000; 30 November 2009 at 21:15.
Old 30 November 2009, 21:28   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Consider trying to buy a Secam (French) version as it is PAL and has RGB
Old 30 November 2009, 21:35   #7
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Consider trying to buy a Secam (French) version as it is PAL and has RGB
So does that mean the UK version does not support RGB? I don't really know much about the console as i've never owned one... but would like one
Old 30 November 2009, 21:50   #8
Lakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPie5000 View Post
Ok i was watching a CD32 bundle on ebay with a "buy it now" price of £49.99... I decided to go and buy it but the seller has now bumped up the price to £65

I looked at some of the other CD32 console's on ebay but the prices seem a bit high and i don't want one that is covered in scratches or been taken apart!
I did the same as you, and in the end bought one from Amigakit, just the console on its own with and Atx power adaptor.

Nice clean machine, well packed.
When they say it takes 7 days to ship it, they really mean 7 days!!

No scart output on this, but composite will be good enough for now.

The controller price was a bit high for me, so I`m going to build the original interface circuit (minus the filter, as its not really needed) and connect an old joystick or cheap joypad to it.

Now, if someone can source the edge connector for the expansion port...
Old 30 November 2009, 21:59   #9
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakes View Post
I did the same as you, and in the end bought one from Amigakit, just the console on its own with and Atx power adaptor.

Nice clean machine, well packed.
When they say it takes 7 days to ship it, they really mean 7 days!!

No scart output on this, but composite will be good enough for now.

The controller price was a bit high for me, so I`m going to build the original interface circuit (minus the filter, as its not really needed) and connect an old joystick or cheap joypad to it.

Now, if someone can source the edge connector for the expansion port...
I can't find any CD32 consoles on Amigakit.co.uk and i don't really think they are worth paying too much for! I also cannot find any French secam models on ebay as alexh suggested... and i will avoid the NTSC model being sold from China

I had no idea it cold not output RGB... it puts me off a bit and although s-video is pretty good, it's just not the same I mean older consoles such as the megadrive and snes had full RGB output so why did Commodore feel the need to exclude it from the UK CD32? Cheap gits
Old 30 November 2009, 23:09   #10
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

They sell refurbished ones for £40 at Analogic.

UK PAL CD32's have S-Video out (composite & RF) whereas French Secam ones have RGB out.

The motherboard has RGB on it which you can tap-off. I soldered wires directly to the test points on my first CD32.
Old 30 November 2009, 23:17   #11
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
They sell refurbished ones for £40 at Analogic.

UK PAL CD32's have S-Video out (composite & RF) whereas French Secam ones have RGB out.

The motherboard has RGB on it which you can tap-off. I soldered wires directly to the test points on my first CD32.
Yeah i saw the one's that Analogic are selling... they don't even come with a controller (official controllers don't seem to be that cheap either!). I think i would prefer to buy a complete system with all necessary cables, controllers and maybe a couple of games to get me started

Also most sellers on ebay use the term "refurbished" too often without knowing exactly what it means!
Old 30 November 2009, 23:18   #12
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
most sellers on ebay use the term "refurbished" too often without knowing exactly what it means!
Dusted?
Old 30 November 2009, 23:25   #13
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Dusted?
Well that would be part of it

Refurbishing would involve fully testing, any faulty or degraded components replaced, a full clean inside and out then put back together the way it's meant to be (no broken clips, missing screws or big gaps in the casing etc....). Thats the proper way to refurbish electrical equipment

Now with ebay what you can expect to receive from money grabbing I.T recycle companies is a dirty banged up system with failing fans and enough dust to create a desert! and they list it as refurbished - they get away with using a stock photo of a nice clean system too
Old 01 December 2009, 01:31   #14
Lakes

Quote:
I can't find any CD32 consoles on Amigakit.co.uk and i don't really think they are worth paying too much for! I also cannot find any French secam models on ebay as alexh suggested... and i will avoid the NTSC model being sold from China

I had no idea it cold not output RGB... it puts me off a bit and although s-video is pretty good, it's just not the same I mean older consoles such as the megadrive and snes had full RGB output so why did Commodore feel the need to exclude it from the UK CD32? Cheap gits
Here`s the one which Amigakit sell..
http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...3e93a28054ff17

For an extra fiver, the Analogic one includes a PSU, so may be a better deal depending on ther condition of their machines.

I expect to recupe some of the money that I spent on this when get round to selling my A600...
Old 01 December 2009, 09:23   #15
Paul_s

I would be willing to let one of mine go, the only issue it has is the top cover sometimes needs pushing down a little on the left hand corner (I think the hinge was bent at some point in its life a little excessively by the previous owner). Apart from that it works fine, it's had new caps fitted as well (not the SMD ones) the right way round!. Very clean and all the internals were cleaned by me a while ago.

Plays CD-R's ok too. Rev 3 system board.

£18 + 1 original controller + postage (at a guess £8 with standard parcels) NO psu however. So £26 all in and I'll do you a copy of the 444/888 game compilations and a few other CD-R's I don't play if you like for free?

Last edited by Paul_s; 01 December 2009 at 09:33.
Old 01 December 2009, 12:40   #16
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
I would be willing to let one of mine go, the only issue it has is the top cover sometimes needs pushing down a little on the left hand corner (I think the hinge was bent at some point in its life a little excessively by the previous owner). Apart from that it works fine, it's had new caps fitted as well (not the SMD ones) the right way round!. Very clean and all the internals were cleaned by me a while ago.

Plays CD-R's ok too. Rev 3 system board.

£18 + 1 original controller + postage (at a guess £8 with standard parcels) NO psu however. So £26 all in and I'll do you a copy of the 444/888 game compilations and a few other CD-R's I don't play if you like for free?
Hi there, thanks for the offer but i would pay more for a console without any problems. I know some CD32's have dodgy lids but i did not know about the capacitors

So far i think i'm being slightly put off getting a CD32... no RGB, bad caps and some lids don't close properly How serious is the capacitor issue? is it only a couple of caps affected and what damage will it cause if they are left alone? (i assume they will leak?).

Thanks again for the offer but i will have to pass
Old 01 December 2009, 12:56   #17
BrooksterMax

Paul S, I advertised on the marketplace for one last week and would be interested in taking it even with that known issue regarding the lid. I will PM you
Old 01 December 2009, 21:25   #18
Paul_s

Quote:
Hi there, thanks for the offer but i would pay more for a console without any problems. I know some CD32's have dodgy lids but i did not know about the capacitors

So far i think i'm being slightly put off getting a CD32... no RGB, bad caps and some lids don't close properly How serious is the capacitor issue? is it only a couple of caps affected and what damage will it cause if they are left alone? (i assume they will leak?).

Thanks again for the offer but i will have to pass
See here about the cap issue: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=28419 . I have another manufactured November 1993 and the issue with the two caps were fixed by then... so anything pre-dating that I would consider putting an order in with Farnell... easy enough job to do and thankfully not as tricky as they are not the SMD variety

Apparently the SMD caps have a tendancy to leak as well like on the A4000/A600 so crackly audio etc..... something to look out for.

There are always the New old stock ones on eBay from China but they're all NTSC as far as I know... Like Alex said the French version would be my choice but never seen any. They are the sacred Rev 4
Old 02 December 2009, 02:20   #19
PowerPie5000
Miggy Ate My Hamster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
See here about the cap issue: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=28419 . I have another manufactured November 1993 and the issue with the two caps were fixed by then... so anything pre-dating that I would consider putting an order in with Farnell... easy enough job to do and thankfully not as tricky as they are not the SMD variety

Apparently the SMD caps have a tendancy to leak as well like on the A4000/A600 so crackly audio etc..... something to look out for.

There are always the New old stock ones on eBay from China but they're all NTSC as far as I know... Like Alex said the French version would be my choice but never seen any. They are the sacred Rev 4
Cheers for the info those 2 pesky caps can be replaced in a couple of minutes... maybe i should check the manufacture dates with people before buying a CD32? it seems the later one's did not have this problem... I guess the date is printed on the console somewhere?
Old 02 December 2009, 11:54   #20
Paul_s

Quote:
Cheers for the info those 2 pesky caps can be replaced in a couple of minutes... maybe i should check the manufacture dates with people before buying a CD32? it seems the later one's did not have this problem... I guess the date is printed on the console somewhere?
Yep, there's a manufacture date on the bottom of each one