English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 20 October 2008, 14:40   #1
discens

Which is the best Amiga model for playing games from all eras?

Greetings to all users and congratulations for the forum.

I was considering buying an Amiga essentially for videogames, and would like to know which is the model that, even with some adaptations such as WHDLoad, best meets the following requirements, or otherwise the best model for each requirement:
1) it should be a computer capable of running at least all amiga classic (that is, from before the Commodore demise) games, from the very first released for Amiga 1000 (preferably with the greatest possible faithfulness to the original gaming: a game intended for the Amiga 1000 should appear as it originally run on an Amiga 1000)
2) it should allow for the greatest possible number of games to be played from a hard disk, preferably from an internal one (in particular I am interested in playing It came from the desert from a hard disk)
3) (for me, the least important requirement) it should work well with a flicker fixer/ scandoubler.

What about Amiga 1200, Amiga 600HD, Amiga 3000 and Amiga 4000 as for the previous requirements?

Besides, as an alternative to a CRT monitor, which is better between an LCD computer monitor and an LCD TV set (assuming that all adaptations such as a flicker fixer, where needed, are given)?

Many thanks for your attention, and for any reply.

Old 20 October 2008, 14:49   #2
pbareges

A1200 is the best performer above all as you get old games compatibility right from hd with whdload, and you get aga versions of most enhanced games (slamtilt by itself should be enough to convince you!). Also this is the easiest to buy and to get extensions for (fastmem, accelerators..)..i recommand last individual computers indivision aga scandoubler abd i use it on the lcd tv samsung 940mw..(What may be nice from lcd tv is that most of them sync to 50hz even on the vga port,,it makes perfect scrolling!)
Old 20 October 2008, 14:59   #3
discens

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbareges View Post
A1200 is the best performer above all as you get old games compatibility right from hd with whdload, and you get aga versions of most enhanced games (slamtilt by itself should be enough to convince you!). Also this is the easiest to buy and to get extensions for (fastmem, accelerators..)..i recommand last individual computers indivision aga scandoubler abd i use it on the lcd tv samsung 940mw..(What may be nice from lcd tv is that most of them sync to 50hz even on the vga port,,it makes perfect scrolling!)
Many thanks.

Some more doubts:

a)Which is better for my purposes between a refurbished A1200 "built to order" and a new Amiga Technologies A1200 (I am referring to a well-known Amiga store, but I don't know if I am allowed to put a link to the corresponding webpages)?

b)Does WHDload work only (or best) with an A1200? Are there any well-known games which don't work with WHDload?

c)Are the graphic results of an Amiga+scandoubler better than those of a game played with WinUAE "double" Display Line mode? I understand that the latter just repeats each scanline, so that the vertical resolution is effectively halved; am I right in this, and in thinking that the fields displayed in succession on a CRT Amiga monitor consist of distinct parts of the same frame, as in television (that is, the odd lines have a graphic content different from that of the even lines, the latter aren't a mere repetition of the former)? (sorry for the imprecise terminology)

d)As for LCD TV, what are the considerations about PAL/NTSC distinctions which I should pay attention to?

Any other general suggestions?

Thanks again for your patience.

Last edited by discens; 20 October 2008 at 15:56.

Old 20 October 2008, 15:57   #4
pbareges

Quote:
Originally Posted by discens View Post
Many thanks. And between a refurbished A1200 "built to order" and a new Amiga Technologies A1200 (I am referring to a well-known Amiga store, but I don't know if I am allowed to put a link to the corresponding webpages)?

Does WHDload work only (or best) with an A1200? Are there any well-known games which don't work with WHDload?

Are the graphic results of an Amiga+scandoubler better than those of a game played with WinUAE "double" Display Line mode? I understand that the latter just repeats each scanline, so that the vertical resolution is effectively halved; am I right in this, and in thinking that the fields displayed in succession on a CRT Amiga monitor consist of distinct parts of the same frame, as in television (that is, the odd lines have a graphic content different from that of the even lines, the latter aren't a mere repetition of the former)? (sorry for the imprecise terminology)

Any other general suggestions?

Thanks again for your patience.
i do not think the model of the 1200 will make any difference...the main known differences are related to kickstart version (3.1 on most recent models : bug fixes + best cd support + chunkypixels supports, anyway i run with 3.0 roms and from a whdload gaming perspective it makes no difference and some software patches like systempatch exist to fill the gap) and floppy drive (last versions may fail on some original games copylock routines but anyway you want to stick to whdload so there's no impact).

whdload works on any amiga platform but is best suited for enhanced ones (with lot of fastmem and bid hds!) his aim was at the beggining to make a500 games work on aga machines (mainly a1200) from hd.

when you upscale 15khz video to 31khz there are many options :

- for non interlaced modes : you will double the number of lines either by copying each line (leading to pixellisation effect i do not like) or will insert a blank line between each line (scanline option on the scandoubler i was refering to - best rendering according, closest to tv rendering)

- for interlaced mode : instead of refreshing half the lines at each refresh, you will refresh all of them...(flickerfixer : no more eye tearing!!)