Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post

Karma police
Arrest this man
He talks in maths
He buzzes like a fridge
He's like a detuned radio

Come on I can't be expected to answer all those questions, most of which were clearly designed to cause arguments. I answered all his serious ones
Old 29 December 2020, 05:29   #282
IanS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbert View Post
Come on I can't be expected to answer all those questions, most of which were clearly designed to cause arguments. I answered all his serious ones
You are extremely amusing, trolling to extremes like that. If you're not trolling... you need to spend some time with a mental health professional. People have explained to you the misconceptions and factual errors in your arguments.
Old 29 December 2020, 09:40   #283
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Lets be honest - Frontier is just shovel-ware. They didn't even enhance it much for the CD-32 hardware. CD32 is capable of much more.
Also having 32-bit written on the console really advertises how it the first ever 32 bit CD system in the West and it's superiority to the 16 bit consoles and all previous Amigas (althought they are good too guys!). It's a beautiful thing
Troll-o-meter: 110%
Old 29 December 2020, 16:20   #284
Bren McGuire

I will add that a lot of units do S-Video via a SCART connector. Gotta love SCART.

If your TV does RGB via SCART chances are it can probably also do S-Video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Completely incorrect. JVC, Toshiba, Panasonic, Sony all used them. They were common up until hdmi cam along.
These days your just stuck with composite on a jack, as an alternative. My current LG 42" does have all inputs including S-Video.

Maybe you didn't see them, as alot stuck them on the front, under the flap. As they used more for camcorders.

Sent from my I3113 using Tapatalk
Old 29 December 2020, 16:26   #285
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:

But only if your TV had 2 Scart sockets. Usually Scart 1 was RGB+Composite and Scart 2 was for S-Video+Composite. It was extremly rare that TVs combined everything in one socket. But in Europe RGB was much more common in cheaper and midprice range TVs around 1990-95. Later S-Video was a bit more common generally. And honestly, it was never a good compromise for the Amiga. RGB wins hands down in picture quality.
Old 29 December 2020, 16:57   #286
lilwshu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren McGuire View Post
I will add that a lot of units do S-Video via a SCART connector. Gotta love SCART.

I'm pretty sure one of the RGB pins in the SCART connector conflicts with the chroma or luma pin, so if your TV only has one SCART socket it will not also do s-video on the same socket.
Old 29 December 2020, 16:59   #287
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
But only if your TV had 2 Scart sockets. Usually Scart 1 was RGB+Composite and Scart 2 was for S-Video+Composite. It was extremly rare that TVs combined everything in one socket. But in Europe RGB was much more common in cheaper and midprice range TVs around 1990-95. Later S-Video was a bit more common generally. And honestly, it was never a good compromise for the Amiga. RGB wins hands down in picture quality.
It is a good compomise compared to Composite.

Old 29 December 2020, 21:46   #288
Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS View Post
You are extremely amusing, trolling to extremes like that. If you're not trolling... you need to spend some time with a mental health professional. People have explained to you the misconceptions and factual errors in your arguments.

No they haven't - they just ignored them. Why can't the AUX port be used for saving games then? It's a serial port. Which you would have seen if you had clicked on the link I gave

The Amiga CD32 keyboard connector also includes a serialport.

I don't think I need to visit a mental health professional (bit extreme !) for liking the CD32 or for stating that Frontier was ported across from other Amigas (obviously a quick job). You actually think it was made specifically for the CD32 ?? It's a one floppy disc game. Most of the CD32 games were shovelware. Because it was cost effective for developers to port existing games across with very few and sometimes zero changes.

Shovelware = "software or online content that has been added to a CD or placed on the internet without having been altered so as to suit the new medium."

Quote:
Originally Posted by skan View Post
Troll-o-meter: 110%
You have obviously never seen a Megadrive (there's a reason they put "16 bit" on the casing) and/or don't know anything about the development of Frontier. Maybe both!
Old 29 December 2020, 21:50   #289
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
You have obviously never seen a Megadrive and/or don't know anything about the development of Frontier. Maybe both!
We're so lucky and privileged to have your infinite knowledge here among us mere mortals!
Old 29 December 2020, 22:03   #290
Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by skan View Post
We're so lucky and privileged to have your infinite knowledge here among us mere mortals!

You're welcome but I don't know everything which is why I asked the question about the AUX port. I'm guessing now tho, from the fact that the tech people avoided answering it - that I was right

That's like when I pointed out the CD32 had a massive advantage by being able to stream from it's CD while running a program - people went very quiet.

People are now starting to realize the best Amiga is the CD32 I think
Old 29 December 2020, 22:04   #291
d4rk3lf

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 29 December 2020, 22:06   #292
chip

I don't understand one thing Gilbert

Do you really think if you insist with your arguments PRO CD32 people will change opinion about that ?
Old 29 December 2020, 22:10   #293
Gilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdPkmJ5DD80
CD32 put a car in space before Space-X did it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip View Post
I don't understand one thing Gilbert

Do you really think if you insist with your arguments PRO CD32 people will change opinion about that ?
Probably not because people always support what they own. I am not trying to change people's minds about their machines - they are telling me why the CD32 is bad. Lol You missed that??

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey look STOP PRESS GUYS> Save problem was going to be solved by Commodore

Quote:
Interesting note in my version of the CD.

CASTLES II ADDENDUM

Please note that it is not possible to save this game onto your CD

Commododore are however planning to release a floppy disc drive for the CD32 which will enable you to save.
Old 29 December 2020, 22:12   #294
jotd
This cat is no more

That Castles II addendum is a joke.

"buy the game, and keep your console on until you can buy a floppy drive"

Interstingly floppy drives for CD32 exist. Some language teaching company had some manufactured, and Toni has been donated one (long before the TF boards were common) to test stuff.
Of course this hardware is rare.
Old 29 December 2020, 22:19   #295
d4rk3lf

Anyone knows how Castles 2 compare to 1?
I love Castles 1 very much, and I play it somewhat regularly on my A500.
Is 2 worth trying?
I think it's Aga, so I need to play it via Winuae.

It's actually Blizzard game (Silicon and Synapsis).
I mean 1.. not sure about 2
Old 29 December 2020, 22:29   #296
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
You're welcome but I don't know everything which is why I asked the question about the AUX port. I'm guessing now tho, from the fact that the tech people avoided answering it - that I was right

That's like when I pointed out the CD32 had a massive advantage by being able to stream from it's CD while running a program - people went very quiet.

People are now starting to realize the best Amiga is the CD32 I think
Go away troll.
Old 29 December 2020, 22:43   #297
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
It is a good compomise compared to Composite.
Of course it wasn't because they didn't have to compromise at all. They removed a superior display connection that had been standard on every other Amiga ever released. It was a brain dead decision no matter which angle you try to come from, it probably saved them 10 pence per unit or some other utterly insignificant sum that the bean counters thought would add to the bottom line. Commodore - short sighted to the last.
Old 29 December 2020, 22:53   #298
jotd
This cat is no more

so to load/save games you'd need to connect ... an amiga at the end of the serial port? And implement saving through serial.device ?
That could have been viable through nonvolatile.library: if something is connected to the serial port, write there instead of nvram

At any rate, I prefer the floppy disk option.
Old 29 December 2020, 23:02   #299
d4rk3lf

I'd prefer to connect Amiga 4000 to save position.
Old 29 December 2020, 23:17   #300
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Acid- View Post
Of course it wasn't because they didn't have to compromise at all. They removed a superior display connection that had been standard on every other Amiga ever released. It was a brain dead decision no matter which angle you try to come from, it probably saved them 10 pence per unit or some other utterly insignificant sum that the bean counters thought would add to the bottom line. Commodore - short sighted to the last.
Who cares. I remember not knowing any better and using A520 for years. Got to love RF,