English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Misc > MarketPlace

Old 02 August 2010, 18:04   #1
Hercules
Vodka monster.

Blizzard 1260 + SCSI Kit + 128MB RAM + Bag of EDO SIMMS

For sale Blizzard 1260 and goodies:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MESE:IT

Had some interest from users on the forum, but despite giving some forum users a chance to make an offer, they didn't put their money where their mouth is, so it's now on ebay...

Unlike the horrid Apollo 75Mhz cards that had the 'LC' branded 68060 processor and no built in MMU, here your getting a lovely Blizzard 68060 with inbuilt MMU and FPU, SCSI Kit, 2x64MB SIMMS, User Manual, Installation Disks, and I'm even including a free bag of SIMMS which a lower depth profile if you want to squeeze the card into an A1200 desktop case.

I'm sad to see this go, but I just hope it goes to a good home...
Old 02 August 2010, 18:15   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@Hercules

A truly stunning card, I do wish you the best for its sale =)

BTW, the 75Mhz "LC" Apollo's did infact have an MMU, just not an FPU - the latter of which in Amiga terms is used much more.

Good luck on your auction =)
Old 02 August 2010, 18:32   #3
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I used an 060 Blizzard for ages with a A1200 2B mother board - it was a few years ago but I don't remember having any problems...
Old 02 August 2010, 18:38   #4
Hercules
Vodka monster.

[quote=Zetr0;689254]@Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
A truly stunning card, I do wish you the best for its sale =)
Thanks Zetr0.

Quote:
BTW, the 75Mhz "LC" Apollo's did infact have an MMU, just not an FPU - the latter of which in Amiga terms is used much more.
I stand corrected

Quote:
Good luck on your auction =)
Thanks. Would of prefered to done a straight sell, but despite offers here, those that wanted to pay the asking price let me down, so it now up for auction.
Old 02 August 2010, 20:55   #5
1time
Amiga Lover

Hercules, why do you saying "Let you down"?

I was turning the offer down because it is a XC68EC060RC50, not because of the price.

And as far as i know that should mean no MMU or FPU as i understand it.
Old 02 August 2010, 21:04   #6
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Is it possible the processor is in fact a mis-labled full 060? becuase Hercules is saying that it does have MMU-FPU, would be interesting to see a sysinfo screenshot of this cards details.

Steve.
Old 02 August 2010, 21:07   #7
1time
Amiga Lover

That could be possible.

Hercules answered my questions very polite and correct. Dont know why he seems so "disappointed".

I would have bought the card if it was equipped with MMU and FPU.
Old 02 August 2010, 23:13   #8
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Is it possible the processor is in fact a mis-labled full 060?
The early 060 parts were a single die for all three parts (Full/EC/LC). Only much later did they actually remove physically remove the MMU/FPU.

Early parts also seem to have had no bond-option (something which could disable the MMU/FPU) which means all three were indistinguishable in software. Typically parts sold as EC and LC were parts which failed testing and have non functional MMU/FPU. But sometimes demand outstripped supply so they sold fully functional parts as EC/LC.

Unscrupulous Amiga resellers back in the day used to benefit from this by buying EC/LC parts, testing them on the bench and if they worked in a quick MMU/FPU demo they sold them as FULL with a big mark up.
Old 02 August 2010, 23:22   #9
Wasagi

Hi Hercules, do you have anything that shows this has an mmu/fpu?
Old 02 August 2010, 23:32   #10
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

As I said I think you need to run a program which uses it to know for sure if it works. A SysInfo type program is useless.
Old 03 August 2010, 19:22   #11
Hercules
Vodka monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1time View Post
That could be possible.

Hercules answered my questions very polite and correct. Dont know why he seems so "disappointed".

I would have bought the card if it was equipped with MMU and FPU.
The card was used with Thomas Richter's MuLib replacement 68060.library and mmu.library. I used that very package to replace Phase 5's 68060.library. If the card didn't have an MMU then the package wouldn't work on the card because Thomas Richters MuLib requires a working MMU. MuLib works on the card which must mean it has an MMU... :-D

Ian Greenway's ASp Spectrum emulator I also used on the card. That uses mmu.library to page the 128k Spectrum roms under emulation. That wouldn't work if the card didn't have an MMU. It does work so again the card must have an MMU :-D

Thirdly, I use OxyPatcher which I later replaced with MuRedox (Contained in MuLib package). MuRedox speeds up FPU instructions on 68060 systems. That also worked and I could use FSPSnoop in the MuLib package to snoop at patched FPU instructions.

So the card clearly has an MMU and FPU in my opinion... I can't test with Harry Sintonen's 'WhichAmiga' as get further info as I got rid of my A1200 over a month ago :-(

Hope that answers your query 1time.
Old 09 August 2010, 16:24   #12
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

IMO with these CPUs you have to run programs which use MMU and/or FPU to determine if they are fully functional.

Just running programs which detect and enable them is not enough because they are present.
Old 09 August 2010, 17:15   #13
Wasagi

Was going to have a cheeky bid on this, As its currently mmu/fpu questionable I think I'll hold back. Good luck everyone else
Old 09 August 2010, 17:20   #14
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

People have been using/selling these LC labelled 060's as full 060's for years. One quick test of something that thrashes them and you'll know for sure.
Old 12 August 2010, 12:24   #15
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Its mine =)

Well I bought this from Herclues, and I just wanted to thank you for packing the card up so well and for the note/instructions included.

Its going to set my car repairs back a month or two but it will be worth it

I've installed the card with the & SCSI kit with the 2x 64mb Simms (after installing the 060 libs of course) and it booted up first time on my A1200T

This card must have FPU becuase firstly my .JPG background is showing up and I know that without FPU it would not.

I'll try the suggestions in this thread later to test the MMU, although sysinfo reports that it exists and is 'in use' however strangly sysinfo reports the Processor & MMU/FPU as being 68040

But the MIPS are correct at 39mips (this is what google tells me I should get with this card 060 @50mhz)

For the first time I've heard an MP3 play through my Soundblaster 128 and Quake runs very nice indeed (320x240 via the Voodoo)

So all in all I'm very pleased, it is strange the the CPU claims to be an 040 but I guess as long as it works then I'm happy.

Workbench is awesomely fast now, booting is very, very fast and everything loads in an instant. (Running Classic Workbench P96)

Looking forward to trying out some more stuff after work, will try to get Warp3D going for example.

Once again, thank you Hercules I was very impressed with your communication and how you packed up the card

Steve.
Old 12 August 2010, 12:46   #16
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I don't think Sysinfo recognising the processor as an 040 is a problem - I've heard of this before...
Old 12 August 2010, 13:25   #17
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I don't think Sysinfo recognising the processor as an 040 is a problem - I've heard of this before...
Thanks Peter, as I say the card runs great and reports the correct speed. I can tell its easily 2x faster than my Apollo 1240
Old 12 August 2010, 16:07   #18
Hercules
Vodka monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Sysinfo is an old outdated program that was released before the 68060 was readilly available.

If you want to test cards accurately, you should use WhichAmiga by Harry ' Piru' Sintonen. It is available from Aminet.