English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 21 April 2008, 16:38   #1
Nephilim

WinUAE, autofire (xenon2)

Hello EAB-community!

This is my first post on here, I've tried searching for topics like this but couldn't find any solution to my problem, so beforehand, I'm sorry if something like this has been posted before and I've just been blind to the thread.

Now, I've had lots of fun digging out the old Amiga games (and lost way too many hours on it ), however, now that I recently started up winUAE again, I got myself all the good old games I knew from back then, which includes Xenon 2 - Megablast. Now we all know Xenon2 can't be played without autofire, but I just can't get it to work in winUAE! I've googled lots and lots of sites for this, I usually just played every game with compatibility mode and it's fine, but now I managed to setup a manual keyboard configuration (#1) and get that to work in Xenon2, using Cursor Keys and Right Ctrl for Fire, just like the trusty old Layout B.
Now, I got the autofire rate set to 1 and everything, but that part next to "Target Source: Right Ctrl - Target Input: Joy2 Fire (Mouse Left Button)", where it says Autofire: no, I just can't get it to say yes. It just doesn't react to a click. I am using the ecs13 config found on back2roots.org to play this game, adapted to my local filesystem of course.
So how do I properly enable autofire? When I keep the fire button pressed, it does fire constantly, but at a very slow rate. I've set the autofire rate to 1 already, all the other keys I mapped work fine.

Thanks for any help and sorry if this has been brought up before.

Greetings

edit: PS: pressing right shift, like I've read somewhere before, doesn't do anything.

Old 21 April 2008, 17:03   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

WinUAE version? Some old version(s) had autofire GUI problem.
Old 21 April 2008, 17:19   #3
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

i may be be completely barking up the wrong tree here, but i've a funny feeling an autofire rate of 1 will be too fast, and Xenon 2, being crafty, is causing the problem itself - trying to prevent you from cheating!

try lowering the rate to see if you can find an ''optimal' rate of autofire, where the game doesnt stopyou from firing the next shot.

as i say, it may not be this at all however.
Old 21 April 2008, 17:34   #4
Nephilim

thanks for the replies.

I am running winUAE 1.3.2 (32-bit), according to the About tab. Every other Game and Feature I try works fine with this.
Since I am a little inexperienced with this (my brother helped me setup the amiga stuff), how would I update the program if I had to, without losing all my configs and settings?

Horace: Whatever I set the autofire rate to, nothing changes. I have actually seen a youtube video (Xenon 2 Longplay, I believe) where autofire rate 1 is used, so this probably isn't the cause. Thanks for the idea anyway!

Old 21 April 2008, 18:30   #5
smoorke

Send a message via MSN to smoorke
Download the latest winuae version from http://winuae.net and extract it where your current version is installed. This should keep all custom configs as-is.

Last edited by smoorke; 21 April 2008 at 20:45.
Old 21 April 2008, 20:08   #6
Nephilim

loading times are much faster now and wooooooooo I can enable autofire now!
great stuff! thanks everyone