English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 16 June 2011, 16:52   #1
Mateo

Help Running Bards Tale

Hello all,

Im a new Amiga owner after deciding that this was the best platorm to play all the great retro games on - I owned an Amstrad 464 as a kid and only rich folks could afford Amiga's. So here I am with an Amiga 1200 (yeah I made it to the big time!) and one of my fav games Bards Tale 1. Problem is I cant get the thing to work. At first I blammed the disk, so I got another copy. That didn't work either so I got another. Three copies of the same game not working. Then I remembered reading something about some older games not working on A1200 and I wonder if this is one of those games? Anyone know or can help? How do I get around this?

Id perfer to play from an origional disk rather than a WHDLoad version - cos Im a bit old fashioned like that - if possible, but can go that way if theres no other option.

A1200 all seems fine. I have Bards Tale 2 and 3 and they boot from disk no worries.

Appologies if this has already been covered elsewhere. Im at work and dont want to rack up too much search traffic. I think they monitor it.

Thanks

Old 16 June 2011, 17:57   #2
vroom6sri

Not sure if it'll work but how about loading up Workbench from floppy then swapping it for the BT1 disk. Open up the disk with a double click, select show all files from Workbench menu and try double clicking some of the different files contained therein. This sort of random clicking has actually worked for me in the past with other games!
Old 19 June 2011, 14:14   #3
Mateo

Thanks for the reply

I tried your suggestion and no luck. Turns out that Bards Tale 1 is incompatible with A1200's according to this site:

http://www.geraldyuen.me.uk/gamesfixes/

So looks like its WHDLoad, which Im new to but previous owner had pre installed on my HD. So Ive just got to get the game off the web and onto my A1200 which Im hoping wont require too much leaning

Incidentally I do have a whole heap of A500 kickstarts in my Devs folder on my System disk. Im not sure how these work but is there a simple way of using these to trick the Bards Tale 1 disk into thinking its dealing with a A500? In my simple mind it would be great if you could just load some kind of A500 simulation program first and then off you go... but as I said im new to the Amiga world and I really have no idea.

Cheers

Old 19 June 2011, 14:45   #4
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Well, you could try using ReloKick and/or some other "degrader"-type programs, that might be all you need. But WHDLoad is probably the way to go.
Old 23 June 2011, 17:57   #5
Mateo

thanks Minous, may have a look at ReloKick