English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 22 October 2017, 19:11   #1
LeCaravage

Real Fast Ram test program KS1.3

Hi,
I have several Zip Ram for my Oktagon 508 (http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/oktagon500).
Some of them are faulty, others good but I don't know exactly which ones.
So I need a program for testing Real Fast ram.

My config : Amiga 500 Wb1.3.

A program which could to be launched from a disquette would also be cool

Thanks.
Old 22 October 2017, 19:26   #2
Amiga4000

Hope this helps..... Bootable ADF's

There you go mate:
- SysInfo --> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/939939/SysInfo.adf
- SysSpeed --> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/939939/SysSpeed.adf

Originally posted by mfilos....

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...l=1#post301573
Old 22 October 2017, 19:40   #3
patrik

Can SysInfo or SysSpeed really test that the RAM is working correctly?
Old 22 October 2017, 19:46   #4
mark_k

The memory test program on the Microbotics 8-Up! disk will hopefully do what you want.
Old 22 October 2017, 19:50   #5
LeCaravage

Tried a search request and I found this : http://aminet.net/package/util/misc/MemCheckBH

Dont know if it's ADF bootable but will let you know.

Thanks for helping though

Edit : Was writting my response during your answer, thanks mark_k
Will try this program too.
Old 30 May 2022, 06:55   #6
Lektroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amiga4000 View Post
Hope this helps..... Bootable ADF's

There you go mate:
- SysInfo --> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/939939/SysInfo.adf
- SysSpeed --> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/939939/SysSpeed.adf

Originally posted by mfilos....

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...l=1#post301573
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but sadly these files are dead. Does anyone happen to have a copy of sysspeed.adf ? I can only find lha versions, which can't be read by flashfloppy.
Old 30 May 2022, 08:56   #7
Jope
-

There are quite a few ways to make a bootable ADF of your own. Perhaps use WinUAE to format, install and unpack the lha to an adf?
Old 31 May 2022, 02:13   #8
Lektroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
There are quite a few ways to make a bootable ADF of your own. Perhaps use WinUAE to format, install and unpack the lha to an adf?
Whenever I double click an lha file, it just comes back with an error, Amiga doesn't recognise it, hence needing the ADF which FlashFloppy can read. I'm not sure how to do the conversion on WinUAE either, it also errors when I double click an lha (just the same as the hardware), and as the FlashFloppy drive doesn't recognise the lha, I'm really needing the ADF.

If anyone has an actual ADF of SysSpeed that they could kindly share, or even a tutorial on how to unpack the LHA to an ADF would be useful, that wouid be hugely appreciated. Bearing in mind the LHA can't be read by the FlashFloppy drive, if the conversion can be done on PC or mac, even better.

Sorry for the long-winded reply, but from the response I feel I need to explain my situation before someone would be kind enough to share the requested file, or a little more info on how to convert the file.

If anyone can help out, I would be very grateful. Many thanks in advance.
Old 31 May 2022, 09:25   #9
Jope
-

True, double clicking is not enough to get the files from inside the lha archive into a disk image. You would have to spend a bit of time learning how to format disks, make them bootable and how to unpack an lha archive on the Amiga.

These are all skills that will come in handy many times in your Amiga life, so I heartily recommend taking the time.
Old 31 May 2022, 11:08   #10
Lektroid

Quote:
True, double clicking is not enough to get the files from inside the lha archive into a disk image. You would have to spend a bit of time learning how to format disks, make them bootable and how to unpack an lha archive on the Amiga.

These are all skills that will come in handy many times in your Amiga life, so I heartily recommend taking the time.

I don't want to have to beg for this, but I really need that file. If anyone has some info on how to get the lha converted, or the file itself, that would be much appreciated. Thanks again in advance.

Apoligies if you feel I've hijacked this thread by asking for a repeat copy of the dead link.
Old 31 May 2022, 16:20   #11
Matt_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lektroid View Post
I really need that file.
Iā€™m not intending to come across as a jerk, but you really donā€™t. You have within yourself the ability to do all this independently. .lha is a compressed data format, like .zip. Iā€™ll echo Jopeā€™s comments: learning how to extract .lha files is a critical Amiga skill that you should learn.

In a pinch, there are alternatives. SysInfo is distributed as an ADF image as well as an LhA archive. The install disks for many GVP accelerators also include a RAM test program.
Old 02 June 2022, 12:11   #12
Lektroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
Iā€™m not intending to come across as a jerk, but you really donā€™t. You have within yourself the ability to do all this independently. .lha is a compressed data format, like .zip. Iā€™ll echo Jopeā€™s comments: learning how to extract .lha files is a critical Amiga skill that you should learn.

In a pinch, there are alternatives. SysInfo is distributed as an ADF image as well as an LhA archive. The install disks for many GVP accelerators also include a RAM test program.

I agree, it would be great to know how to convert this file, but everyone who's replied so far has imperiously told me to "go do it yourself", yet given no info on how to convert the file, even though It's clear I don't know how to do this. I wouldn't need to ask for a repost of the file if that was the case.

The reason I politely asked if someone could send a copy was because this file already exists somewhere since it was posted by @Amiga4000 in the first response to this thread as an ADF. I simply asked for a repost of that, not a load of 'convert it it yourself' type responses.

I already have SysInfo, but apparently is not accurate for modern accellerators, hence not asking for that and requesting SysSpeed, which is said to work better.

I really thought people would be more accomodating to someone asking for help, but this is not the case, I see you've all had fun watching someone with less knowledge on the matter begging, I sincerely hope it's given you all the feeling of superiority you clearly desire. Don't worry, I'll ask elsewhere. Thanks for nothing.
Old 02 June 2022, 12:28   #13
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I guess the 'teaching a man how to fish' thing failed. Here are two threads to get you started if you still consider trying it for yourself:

https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=62017
https://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=99555
Old 02 June 2022, 12:36   #14
Jope
-

People tend to hate it if I'm helpful when not asked, so I try to only info dump on people if I can detect that someone actually asked for it.

I don't see in this thread where Lektroid requested instructions on how to complete the task. It is not the correct place for that kind of discussion either, so a new thread about it should be opened in some more suitable section of the board. Support.apps is most likely a good place.

Nothing personal, not trying to deliberately haze the newbie.
Old 02 June 2022, 14:53   #15
Lektroid

Quote:
People tend to hate it if I'm helpful when not asked, so I try to only info dump on people if I can detect that someone actually asked for it.

I don't see in this thread where Lektroid requested instructions on how to complete the task.
I'm not sure how you expect me to beg for either the file or the info, but I did ask on several occasions, maybe you never read my posts properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lektroid
If anyone has an actual ADF of SysSpeed that they could kindly share, or even a tutorial on how to unpack the LHA to an ADF would be useful, that wouid be hugely appreciated.
Quote:
I feel I need to explain my situation before someone would be kind enough to share the requested file, or a little more info on how to convert the file.
Quote:
If anyone has some info on how to get the lha converted, or the file itself, that would be much appreciated. Thanks again in advance.
Just to point out, the above quotes are requests for help. If you didn't notice that, or just want to have fun watching the newbie squirm, then that is your issue, not mine..

Quote:
It is not the correct place for that kind of discussion either, so a new thread about it should be opened in some more suitable section of the board. Support.apps is most likely a good place.
Exactly, that's why I initially asked for the file (since this is a request forums), but it's clear nobody wanted to give it up and told me to do it myself.

Quote:
Nothing personal, not trying to deliberately haze the newbie.
Clearly you are. I'm sure it's not difficult for anyone here to re-share a file that was previously posted.

If someone asked for something I had, I would send it straight to them without even thinking about it - in fact I do this on a regular basis, I've even sent stuff though the post at my expense to help folk. I certainly wouldn't be coming back with a load of patronising nonsense that is no help to anyone just to feed my ego.
Old 03 June 2022, 02:59   #16
Matt_H

@ Lektroid

Here's the thing: we don't have the files you asked for and so I tried to point you to other RAM test options within your existing skillset. SysSpeed is certainly not the only choice. I also thought that telling you .lha was a compressed data format analogous to .zip would help you figure out how to solve the problem on your own and grow your skillset. I apologize if we got snarky, but it seemed like you weren't interested in the alternatives on offer.

If you are struggling with the basics of extracting archives and working with disks please start a new thread on that subject and you'll find many eager users positively *delighted* to help you learn.
Old 03 June 2022, 05:12   #17
Lektroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
@ Lektroid

Here's the thing: we don't have the files you asked for (blah blah blah)...
You can't speak for everyone here as you don't know what files are in everyone's collection, so why even bother replying? To me that sounds like a small clique exercising mob mentality in a thread in order to influence others to be reluctant to reply and help out with a file that is apparently very easy to create according to you. Nice little elitist power trip for you, I'm sure.

I put a simple request up for a file that's already been shared, that's all. It's clear you and a couple of others have the ability to create this file easily but are obviously too selfish to do so. Fine, but leave it at that, no need for the unhelpful replies, they are of no use to anybody.

I'm sure there would have been someone out there decent enough to share the requested file, or even take a couple of minutes converting it. But now you guys have stepped in with your ridicule in order to obstruct anyone wanting to help out... Well done!

Seems pointless to even have a request forum if this is the sort of feedback given when someone politely requests a simple file. As I said before, I'll ask elsewhere, I'm sure there are more friendly and helpful people elsewhere in the Amiga community.
Old 03 June 2022, 09:47   #18
Jope
-

Sorry that I missed it. Yeah, I often read the forums too fast and miss stuff, you can find countless examples in the past.

Here I'm expecting you have an hard disk booting workbench setup with the lha tool in your path. I guess classicwb is the one everyone uses if they are not rolling their own.

You would also need to have a way to get the lha archive inside the emulated environment, in WinUAE you would add a new hard disk and map it to a directory with the files you want to access on your host operating system. Or you could click add pc drives at startup.

First open a shell.

How to format a disk:

Code:
format drive df0: name Ramtest noicons
How to make the disk bootable:

Code:
install drive df0:
How to unpack an lha archive to drive df0:

Code:
lha x archive.lha df0:
You would replace archive.lha with the name of the file you're unpacking. You can use the cd command to traverse directories and the dir command to list the files inside the directory. Or you could traverse the directories in workbench and perhaps drag and drop your lha archive into the ram disk. Then it is enough to say
Code:
cd ram:
in the shell to get to the right place where your lha archive now resides.

To make the Amiga load your executable automatically, you would create a directory called s on the disk and write the name of the executable inside it:

Code:
makedir df0:s
echo name_of_executable > df0:s/startup-sequence
Here you would again replace name_of_executable with the one you want that was extracted from inside the archive.

If you want 80 column text, you would need a system-configuration on the disk. Often we just copy the one off our hard drive:

Code:
makedir df0:devs
copy devs:system-configuration df0:devs
This is a bit general, unfortunately it is not really possible to give a full answer, but ask away when you run into problems you can't solve on your own.
Old 03 June 2022, 16:30   #19
Matt_H

@ Lektroid

I'm sorry I couldn't help you before in the way that you needed. I have extracted SysSpeed to a floppy and uploaded the ADF to the Zone - I hope it works for you.

Please watch the attitude next time, okay? I'll try to remember to do the same.
Old 03 June 2022, 18:48   #20
Lektroid

Hi, thanks to Jorg and Matt H for the help. We got there in the end