English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 April 2015, 21:45   #1
gurth

Replacement for CDTV floppy drive

I have a couple of Amiga's including a CDTV and would like to use the CDTV as a classic 1.3 setup. It was my dream machine as a kid and would stare at Commodore literature many an evening wishing I could own one.

I have recently purchased a kipper2k 4Mb/IDE and have that installed so I have a little Fast RAM to hand. I understand the IDE side will only be available if I swap the kickstart for 2.05 upwards, but as I'm only interested in 1.3 so I'm happy to live without that.

Arrived last week is a SCSI kit that I need to solder up and insert internally with a SCSI drive from eBay. Then I should be able to install Workbench 1.3 onto the hard drive with Deluxe Paint and DevPac.

The issue I have at the moment is transferring files, be it HDTools or Workbench, they all struggle to be read either with my CDTV, A500 or A1200. I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that all floppy drives are beyond repair and might actually be damaging the disks I insert.

I have a CF reader for the A1200 and an ACA500 for the A500 but I'm stuck at transferring anything to the CDTV.

Would a GOTEK be suitable, I'm not convinced it will as I really want to be transferring files from aminet not whole images of disks (ADFs)?

An alternative I thought could be to setup a 3.1 side so I can make use of the IDE, copy files across with that, and then boot back into 1.3 (dual boot)?

Suggestions please on a postcard.
Old 13 April 2015, 00:17   #2
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

A gotek would work for the CDTV but you need to be able to connect it externally, so you will need an old external drive case or Mounty sells a connector.

You could then use WinUAE and copy the aminet files to blank ADF's, transfer them to the gotek USB stick and then transfer the files to your SCSI HD.

Remember that the blank floppies need to be ofs 836 formatted if you use WB1.3.
Old 13 April 2015, 10:31   #3
cpiac64

http://www.ppa.pl/sprzet/montaz-wewn...ow-w-cdtv.html

info in polish for add df0: internally
Old 13 April 2015, 12:41   #4
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiac64 View Post
http://www.ppa.pl/sprzet/montaz-wewn...ow-w-cdtv.html

info in polish for add df0: internally
What was I thinking That's much easier
Old 04 August 2019, 19:21   #5
Kejoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie View Post
What was I thinking That's much easier
Can This info be found in english.

Regards Kenneth
Old 05 August 2019, 11:20   #6
fgh

It’s possible to have the IDE working on KS1.3, but you need to get a modified 1.3 rom with scsi.device ide driver from ks2.05 added. (and use a 1.3 compatible file system like pfs3-aio)

You can also use kickstart switchers to be able to switch between versions.

PC SCSI cards costs nothing, so if you have a desktop pc, you can fill the scsi drive in winuae.
Old 06 November 2021, 23:03   #7
brufnus

You MIGHT be able to repair the drive, too (I've had success with a couple of these; one of which was pretty trivial in this aspect).

Clean the drive thoroughly, especially the heads and track 0 sensor, with IPA. Then make sure the stepper motor shaft and head assembly is a tight fit - there should be no slack at all (!)
Finally, use the program "trackDiscSync" available om aminet; this writes a few tracks on a sound drive, gives a high pitched tone - and then you can recalibrate the drive using that tone as reference.
If any of you would like further support in this aspect, I'll be happy to help (I learned a lot because of my stubbornness). c",)
Old 07 November 2021, 02:08   #8
stevelord

If you're getting scsi get a 100mb scsi zip drive for the amiga and usb zip drive for pc. It's big enough for transferring large files but small enough to be cheapish and works on 1.3. Changed my life. Betwen that and serial xfer for slower things it's perfect.