English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 03 June 2019, 17:33   #1
slaapliedje

Issue - CD Audio and SCSI CD-ROM, via ACARD 7730SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viceroy View Post
That worked perfect Toni, it played the CD audio perfect, many thanks ;-)
I'm running into a related issue, CD Audio and SCSI CD-ROM, via ACARD 7730SA.
I have AsimCDFS, and the option is checked in the preferences for the sound streaming, but the PlayCD app for OS3.9 isn't actually playing any sound.
This setup doesn't exactly have the standard sound cable for cd audio playback....
Edit: is it me or do does double spacing basically triple space on the forum software now?

Last edited by slaapliedje; 03 June 2019 at 17:38. Reason: Wow, double space bug?
Old 03 June 2019, 17:50   #2
Daedalus

The CD player application doesn't, to my knowledge, support digital audio streaming. You need to have the audio out cable connected to something to hear the music. If the drive has a headphone socket, you can also check that to see if the audio is playing.

The streaming setting of AsimCDFS doesn't quite do what you're looking for, but it might work to play the raw audio files using some other player that supports AIFF format (IIRC AsimCDFS presents audio tracks in AIFF).

Not really relevant, but is there a reason you're using AsimCDFS instead of the 3.9-provided CacheCDFS?

Edit: No double spacing bug that I can see here...
Old 03 June 2019, 19:07   #3
slaapliedje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
The CD player application doesn't, to my knowledge, support digital audio streaming. You need to have the audio out cable connected to something to hear the music. If the drive has a headphone socket, you can also check that to see if the audio is playing.

The streaming setting of AsimCDFS doesn't quite do what you're looking for, but it might work to play the raw audio files using some other player that supports AIFF format (IIRC AsimCDFS presents audio tracks in AIFF).

Not really relevant, but is there a reason you're using AsimCDFS instead of the 3.9-provided CacheCDFS?

Edit: No double spacing bug that I can see here...
Couldn't seem to get the cacheCDFS to work with the CSPPC's SCSI.

I read somewhere that the streaming setting was supposed to be exactly for that, but you're probably right that the OS 3.9 player doesn't work with it. Then again I tried the AsimTunes program as well, and still didn't get audio.
Might be a settings problem, as Amp2 didn't have sound either when I was playing Howard the Duck on the Amiga. Ha, shocked DVDs (sort of) work.
Old 05 June 2019, 12:24   #4
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
Couldn't seem to get the cacheCDFS to work with the CSPPC's SCSI.
Hmmm, fair enough.

Quote:
I read somewhere that the streaming setting was supposed to be exactly for that, but you're probably right that the OS 3.9 player doesn't work with it.
Yes, it's for streaming the audio digitally, but you need software to do something with that data once it gets it. Traditional CD player programs don't do anything with any data as such - they just issue commands to the CD drive and read status updates. The CD drive does all the reading and playing. I do remember back when I got a CD drive first, that there were utilities for reading CDDA directly and either playing the track via Paula or AHI, or saving it to the hard drive. You'll know that it's trying to play via CDDA because the drive will spin up to data reading speed, whereas when playing the audio itself, the drive will only spin at 1x or 2x speed.

Quote:
Then again I tried the AsimTunes program as well, and still didn't get audio.
I'm not familiar with that player, but it's possible it does the same thing - tries to get the drive to play the audio.

Quote:
Might be a settings problem, as Amp2 didn't have sound either when I was playing Howard the Duck on the Amiga. Ha, shocked DVDs (sort of) work.
That's likely to be totally unrelated, but impressive nonetheless.
Old 05 June 2019, 17:36   #5
slaapliedje

The frame rate wasn't fantastic on the DVD, but it did play without sound.
AsimTunes is the CD player that comes with AsimCDFS. Music / sound was working with Doom, which I believe goes through AHI, so pretty sure that was working, I'll have to test it out more. I should probably create a new thread though for that instead of using this one :P
Old 05 June 2019, 18:01   #6
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
I should probably create a new thread though for that instead of using this one :P
Yes, I've done this for you and moved the discussion out of the Amiga questions you've always been too embarrassed to ask thread.
Old 05 June 2019, 20:57   #7
slaapliedje

Awesome, thanks! Yeah this was for that discussion instead of clouding up the 'embarrassed' thread!