English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 06 July 2002, 22:31   #1
Bloodwych

Who's going to enjoy the Amiga Club for $50

Well come on, what are you waiting for?

The free T-shirt just does it for me!

I think I'd rather put $50 towards providing an Amiga service right here, where the hardcore Amiga fanatics will put it to good use.
Old 06 July 2002, 22:39   #2
Bloodwych

Surely they could have thought of a better slogan than "I am Amiga Club" as well.

Not sure if I'm a supporter of the Amiga's future or not. Past definitely, but the names been thrown around so much since commodores demise I just don't know what "Amiga" means in modern terms. What do you guys think?
Old 06 July 2002, 22:47   #3
Amiga1992

I dont think a crapshit shirt is worth 50 bucks. A lame attempt at trying to get people preordering AmigaOne machines.

I rather spend 50 worth of stuff for my A1200
Old 06 July 2002, 23:36   #4
jrom
Wannabe asm coder ;)

yeah I agree... I'd first like to see how the AmigaOne turns out in the markt. See what it's capable of next to modern days pc's. I know Amiga was once great and I really hope it will be great but you gotta put things into perspective...
Old 07 July 2002, 17:02   #5
blackcornflake

Cool A little positivity, folks?

Well, I am going to send my cash to Amiga. This is exactly the sort of thing I have been waiting for. What the hey; I usually spend more on beer on any given night, and this is a way to help (in however small a way) make the comeback of the Amiga a successful one. The free shirt I care not for. I was going to buy OS4 and the required h/w anyway, so putting up part of the money up front does not worry me.

The press release states the aims of the promotion clearly enough: to gauge demand for the new product, and to demonstrate this demand to distribution partners, and other commercial parties involved. All the other stuff (t-shirt, etc.) is just tongue-in-cheek, to make it seem a little less like pre-ordering. How else are they supposed to know how many to manufacture? Wait and see is not the right course of action in this case. Definitely 'put your money where your mouth is'.

@Akira: Spending dough on existing A1200 equipment (which I am also doing) is fine, but it does not help get new products onto shop shelves.
Old 07 July 2002, 17:24   #6
Amiga1992

I actually preffer to boost support for current hardware than to boost possible sales of a future non-compatible hw.As I said, to me Amiga is all about the vanilla box, so...

I might end up buying OS4 if I ever get a PPC upgrade, though. And I for sure will be trying out the AmigaDE on my PC. I dont want Windows anymore!
Old 12 July 2002, 15:01   #7
CPC464

Send a message via ICQ to CPC464 Send a message via AIM to CPC464
I agree with AKIRA on this one

$50 is a lot to pay for a T-Shirt and if the money was going somewhere where I could see the benefits then I think I would pay. But as it stands I think I will keep my $50 for now
Old 12 July 2002, 16:51   #8
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Roll eyes (sarcastic)

I think most mainstream Amiga fans' optimism vanished when the original "month or two" Commodore liquidation turned into a everlasting fiasco.
Had a quick company sale eventuated with new AAA chipset type machines, or RISC or whatever, it might've kept the "classic amiga's" alive.
That year or so out of action with no R & D done was a real killer for the Amiga. Realistically it never recovered.
Old 20 July 2002, 14:42   #9
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I think the AmigOne thing is bullshit. A sham. Watch me be proven right. But as for OS 4, I would love to run it on my machine, on Amiga DE. I think thats the ticket. Why bother with the phantom hardware when you can use Amiga OS 4 on a PC?
And Blackcornflake, I got a bridge here in Brooklyn you might like .......
Old 20 July 2002, 15:52   #10
blackcornflake

I was under the impression that OS4 would require Amiga hardware, being not entirely platform agnostic. OS5 is the one that will run on anything, no?

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
And Blackcornflake, I got a bridge here in Brooklyn you might like .......
LOL!

How much do you want for it? Discount for cash?
Old 20 July 2002, 17:22   #11
Amiga1992

Yes, AmigaOS 4 is not meant to be run on anyhing but Amigas... OS5 will..

how do I know? Korodny told me
Old 20 July 2002, 21:52   #12
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Well then I'll have to get Amiga De to run Amiga OS 3.9 then.
Old 20 July 2002, 23:06   #13
Korodny
Zone Friend

/me pats Akira's head: "Good boy!"

@Frederic:

Quote:
Well then I'll have to get Amiga De to run Amiga OS 3.9 then.
AmigaOS 3.x will only run on Classic Amigas (i.e. Amiga that still have the old custom chips) - or emulated classic Amigas. AmigaOS 4.x will run on any PPC Motherboard that comes with an AmigaOS license. AmigaDE will run hosted on Windows, Linux and MacOS, but it's in no way related to anything you know as "Amiga".

That's about it. And don't put too much hopes into OS5, that's absolute vapourware at the moment. It may run on x86 - or it may run only on some obscure 64bit Architecture. It may look like AmigaOS - or it may look like some StarTrek console. It may come with integrated stuff - or it may come with integrated Digital Rights mechanisms. Nobody knows (not even Amiga Inc. themself, I guess).
Old 29 July 2002, 16:41   #14
Bloodwych

Final number of people taking up this offer was 940.
Old 29 July 2002, 18:02   #15
Amiga1992

Was this a good number for Amiga Inc.?
Old 29 July 2002, 18:11   #16
Bloodwych

I think it's a lot lower than they'd hoped for Akira.

Read comments here
Old 29 July 2002, 18:30   #17
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

I could think of about 100,000,000,000 other things id rather spend $50 on. Looks like the Amiga One machines are not going to last long as there os no incentive for companies to make any software for it. And im certainly not spending all thet money on an A1 board just to hook it up to my a1200 and carry on using deluxe paint on a faster system, id rather spend the money towering my a1200!
Old 29 July 2002, 20:58   #18
Korodny
Zone Friend

@Akira:

Quote:
Was this a good number for Amiga Inc.?
Amiga Inc. may have hoped for more (realism is not one of their strong points). But it's actually a pretty good number - 1000 people were willing to prepay $50 for a hardware they have never seen running properly and an OS they have not seen at all yet.

The more realistic people hope that 5000-10000 A1 units get sold in the first 6 months (and that seems likely, given that 1000 people already bought such a coupon). This number would be enough to get software development started again. In fact, most of the remaining active developers are already working towards OS4.

It'll take quite a while to reach a market share that actually deserves to be called "market", but the number of coupons sold is a good sign.

@Bloodwych:

Quote:
Read comments here
Oh come on, not ANN!

@Mick_AKA:

Quote:
Looks like the Amiga One machines are not going to last long as there os no incentive for companies to make any software for it.
There's a lot of incentive for *Amiga* companies. I know of one company trying to target the Infochannel/Kiosk market with A1 bundles, directly attacking Scala Infochannel's market shares.

Quote:
And im certainly not spending all thet money on an A1 board just to hook it up to my a1200 and carry on using deluxe paint on a faster system, id rather spend the money towering my a1200!
There will be PPC native versions of (amongst others) ImageFX, FXPaint, PerfectPaint, DiamondBox and (probably) ArtEffect. Additionally, PersonalPaint, Photogenics and TVPaint will work on a stock A1. No need to use DPaint
Old 29 July 2002, 21:07   #19
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Korodny
1000 people were willing to prepay $50 for a hardware they have never seen running properly and an OS they have not seen at all yet.
That is really true. Almost a thousand absolute NUTTERS

Quote:
There will be PPC native versions of (amongst others) ImageFX, FXPaint, PerfectPaint, DiamondBox and (probably) ArtEffect. Additionally, PersonalPaint, Photogenics and TVPaint will work on a stock A1. No need to use DPaint
DPaint is one of the tools that CANNOT be replaced IMO. I have PPaint but I use it only to export to GIF... DPaint cannot be beaten, IMO, for creating the images. It's much more versatile and userfriendly.

I use it a lot for my work
Old 29 July 2002, 21:28   #20
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

I completely agree, Dpaint is by far the best piece of software i have on my amiga, nothing even comes close.