English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 18 August 2014, 13:51   #141
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
I would like to know a way to transfer files from the PC to my OS4.1 emulation, like adding Pcmcia that could work or another way if that's possible.
Just mount your hdf in 3.9 and transfer files into it :-)
Old 18 August 2014, 14:54   #142
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Hello guys. I saw the thread the other day and couldn't believe my eyes, so i started to read a lot in order to get exactly the way to proceed but i'm not sure what is the recommended board for emulation. I have read that the one working with os4 is cyberstorm and that the blizzards gave errors, but in other post someone said that blizzard is working correctly. So, what is the best bet in order to get the ppc emulation running?. I have downloaded the accelerator roms from the zone, and several uae configs here, but haven't tried yet.
Thanks in advance and thanks Toni for the uae enhancement!!!
Old 18 August 2014, 15:01   #143
MickJT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Now, why didn't Retrofan and I think of that!? Still an extra step that could be avoided in the future. But your suggestion is the best way I think, so long as it uses a filesystem that is available for 68k as well (otherwise you could create another hdf that does use a compatible filesystem), everything except JXFS I think.
Old 18 August 2014, 17:08   #144
DarrenHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickJT View Post
I bought 4.1 for Classics. When I went to register on the site (I've got the serial already) I noticed I could choose from OS4.1 for BlizzardPPC or OS4.1 for CyberstormPPC. AmigaKit didn't mention which it was, so I'm assuming it's for both? I was able to register the same serial number for both PPC boards.

I haven't found any ADF or ISO available to download unfortunately :-/ (Hoping the site doesn't get confused by having a serial for Sam440 as well (Edit: Doesn't appear to))
There is an ADF of the bootlfoppy on the OS4.1 Classic CD. I used that and it worked fine.
Old 18 August 2014, 17:56   #145
BinoX
Miggy Man

Well I am happy to report that I'm now running OS 4.0 Classic inside the emulator, after a fair bit of playing around... I had trouble running HDToolbox with PPC enabled... So after partitioning with it off, it's now working fine

Finally reminded of the days when my AmigaOne XE still worked xD
Old 18 August 2014, 18:20   #146
huepper

Media Toolbox from OS4.x crashes the emulation.
Logs, if possible, will follow.
Old 18 August 2014, 18:28   #147
amigafreak68k

You can partitionize your hardfile(s) in AmigaOS 3.x and format them. Don't format them in AmigaOS 4. After that you'll unable to boot from this hardfiles.
Old 18 August 2014, 20:49   #148
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ThEcRoW View Post
Hello guys. I saw the thread the other day and couldn't believe my eyes, so i started to read a lot in order to get exactly the way to proceed but i'm not sure what is the recommended board for emulation. I have read that the one working with os4 is cyberstorm and that the blizzards gave errors, but in other post someone said that blizzard is working correctly. So, what is the best bet in order to get the ppc emulation running?. I have downloaded the accelerator roms from the zone, and several uae configs here, but haven't tried yet.
Thanks in advance and thanks Toni for the uae enhancement!!!
Blizzard PPC is more complex and technically you can't have Z3 boards with BPPC on real hardware -> CyberStorm is better choice and there is less chance to get it wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by huepper View Post
Media Toolbox from OS4.x crashes the emulation.
Logs, if possible, will follow.
Probably PPC CPU problem. Waiting for QEMU CPU core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickJT View Post
Back on topic, sorta, as for transferring files from the PC to OS4.1 installation, perhaps a mode could be added to add hardfiles or directories but appear as real IDE in the emulated environment. But I don't expect that to be any sort of priority for the time being, if at all. It'd have some benefits in 68k and Linux as well. I assume Linux also has this issue, or is it able to use WinUAE's hardfiles & directory-mode?
Hardfiles (with or without RDB) can be mounted as IDE. (fake virtual RDB is generated automatically if non-RDB)
Directories: impossible.

Because OS4 supports m68k drivers and handlers (as far as I know), directory harddrives could work. Again: QEMU CPU core first, I am quite sure OS4 m68k emulator will be too unreliable with current CPU core.

Linux and others: never going to work unless someone writes native driver. Not worth the trouble.
Old 18 August 2014, 20:54   #149
huepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Probably PPC CPU problem. Waiting for QEMU CPU core.
I have asked someone to help you with QEMU, but he is busy.
Hope this Line he wrote to me will help you a little bit.

Quote:
Im QEMU-Code selbst stehen die PowerPC-relavanten Teile übrigens in
target-ppc/ und in hw/ppc.

In QEMU code itself PowerPC relavant parts are in the way target-ppc/ and in hw/ppc.

EDIT: QEMU-Mailinglist qemu-devel will also a chance to get some help, but this will be our part to ask someone
Old 18 August 2014, 21:07   #150
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
I have asked someone to help you with QEMU, but he is busy.
Hope this Line he wrote to me will help you a little bit.
Not really, thats not the problem, problem is that PPC stuff and JIT stuff depends extremely heavily on custom QEMU internals, if you try to compile PPC core only, you will need to compile most of QEMU itself.. To prevent that you would need to write hundreds of stub functions..

Quote:
EDIT: QEMU-Mailinglist qemu-devel will also a chance to get some help, but this will be our part to ask someone
I don't think so. I saw some really stupid reply there when my Cirrus Logic emulation fixes (which comes from QEMU originally but had many bugs) were posted there and then they practically ignored them.

This is one reason I don't really want to ask anyone, it is usually easier, less annoying and much faster to just do it alone.
Old 18 August 2014, 21:42   #151
huepper

Quote:
Not really, thats not the problem, problem is that PPC stuff and JIT stuff depends extremely heavily on custom QEMU internals, if you try to compile PPC core only, you will need to compile most of QEMU itself.. To prevent that you would need to write hundreds of stub functions..

I don't think so. I saw some really stupid reply there when my Cirrus Logic emulation fixes (which comes from QEMU originally but had many bugs) were posted there and then they practically ignored them.

This is one reason I don't really want to ask anyone, it is usually easier, less annoying and much faster to just do it alone.
Ok, I understand.
Then I only know one way to help you (or us) .... donations.

Oh, let's have a look at this.

http://www.a1k.org/forum/showpost.ph...&postcount=189

http://www.a1k.org/forum/showpost.ph...&postcount=192
Old 18 August 2014, 22:04   #152
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Thx fitzsteve, that seems the best way. A bit slow, but the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigafreak68k View Post
You can partitionize your hardfile(s) in AmigaOS 3.x and format them. Don't format them in AmigaOS 4. After that you'll unable to boot from this hardfiles.
Just don't use Mediatoolbox and go to install the OS, it will ask you if you want to prepare or format the partition and there it doesn't crash if you just format it (I think you can also prepare the hd there). I use for example a pfs3AIO hdf and you know that you don't need PFS3format to format it, you can do it on OS4.1 with the normal format option.

Last edited by Retrofan; 19 August 2014 at 00:55.
Old 18 August 2014, 23:22   #153
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I'm just wondering if there will be a way to connect OS4.1 to internet as it needs a modem to recognize.
Old 19 August 2014, 00:19   #154
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
I am quite sure OS4 m68k emulator will be too unreliable with current CPU core.
In theory, could it be possible to create a dummy 68k emulation for OS4 which uses WinUAE itself for emulating the 68k?
Old 19 August 2014, 01:52   #155
BinoX
Miggy Man

Quote:
I am quite sure OS4 m68k emulator will be too unreliable with current CPU core.
It seems to work OK with a few applications (Only tested OS 4.0). You have more success if you go into the compatibility and change it to not use JIT for the executables/devices that you want.

I managed to get networking going with A2065 Z2 and the ethernet.device from aminet.. But only after I added the ethernet.device file as an exception in the compatibility section.

The major issue I have come across is that a lot of programs seem to divide by zero (for some unknown reason), which causes the ppc to crash
Old 19 August 2014, 08:54   #156
BinoX
Miggy Man

Well, thought I would come on here and post from emulated OS 4.0 using AWeb to test it out... if you can see this, it has worked

Many thanks Toni
Old 19 August 2014, 09:04   #157
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

Someone should post a "Installing AmigaOS 4.0 under WinUAE" guide. Just saying.
Old 19 August 2014, 09:14   #158
BinoX
Miggy Man

I do intend to at some point soon... It's taken a couple of days for me to work it out properly... I will try and get something up by this weekend...

Have a teaser screenshot... Please excuse my bad spelling of network... a typo I haven't bothered to fix xD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OWB-Emulated.png
Views:	4364
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	41106  
Old 19 August 2014, 11:20   #159
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Ok, I understand.
Then I only know one way to help you (or us) .... donations.

Oh, let's have a look at this.

http://www.a1k.org/forum/showpost.ph...&postcount=189
Meanwhile, a salute to all the Forum from Brindisi (Italy)

I think he forgot about scrennshot 7 to put the check mark for "AutoMount CDFS CD / DVD Driver" without it the Classic or Virtual CD can not be mounted, or am I wrong?

I have a problem in starting OS4.0 Classic, I get the error "Bootloader failed returcode 20", I'm not an expert on OS4 but it seems that "Bootloader" go and read the "Kicklayout" from SYS:Kickstart/but probably not or is unable to perform something, someone knows the problem?

Hello and thanks Toni
Old 19 August 2014, 11:28   #160
huepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Meanwhile, a salute to all the Forum from Brindisi (Italy)

I think he forgot about scrennshot 7 to put the check mark for "AutoMount CDFS CD / DVD Driver" without it the Classic or Virtual CD can not be mounted, or am I wrong?
Please read the last two sentences.
You must first create an installation disk (or workbench installation), in which the correct device for the CDx: is already set.
Otherwise OS4.x will not boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
I have a problem in starting OS4.0 Classic, I get the error "Bootloader failed returcode 20", I'm not an expert on OS4 but it seems that "Bootloader" go and read the "Kicklayout" from SYS:Kickstart/but probably not or is unable to perform something, someone knows the problem?
Config please.

Last edited by huepper; 19 August 2014 at 11:34.