English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 26 August 2018, 15:23   #1
Overmann

Phase5 digital. What is GOING ON!?

Ok, I just found out a couple of months ago that Phase5 is still giong. Or rather that someone has bought the rights to the name and the products? So I've been dropping by the facebook page from time to time to see what's up and that page is just getting crazier and crazier. Is this really serious? Can someone please fill me in, as my searches for info has been pretty fruitless.

There is constant mentions of ENEMIES within the amiga community, and criminals.. Well and organized crime group in the community going after phase5. I once shared an appartment with a guy who was hugely into conspiracy theories. He eventually went a little crazy and lost his job, sadly. For years he wrote a blog that was eirily similar reading to the phase5 facebook page. Not a single post has been posted that does not mention an enemy or a crime or some sinister force trying to take the company down. Everything is poorly written and just barely comprehensible.

I also found traces of some feude with a Amiga hardware enthusiast who claimed that a PCB that he recieved had no grounding points on it (or something like that), and the wording on the "press releases" by phase5 reads more like an angry teenagers jealous ramblings then that of a serious company. I am confident that there are no PR-people working at this new Phase5.

Is Phase5 digital still actually a company? I don't mean to be rude or step on anyones toes here, but I have phase5 hardware and the more I read the more I want to sell it..
Old 26 August 2018, 15:43   #2
DamienD
Banned

Taboo topic really as everytime people discuss this person's *new* products and say something he doesn't agree with / believe; he threatens legal action

Anyway, most threads about Phake5 have been removed from EAB but you can still read the shenanigans via Facebook if you must.
Old 26 August 2018, 15:43   #3
nobody

Probably the "old" phase5 has nothing to do with the "new" phase5. They have the rights to hardware but maybe no have any clue how to build them.
Old 26 August 2018, 15:43   #4
Korodny
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overmann View Post
Is Phase5 digital still actually a company?
It's a properly registered (in 2014 or 2015, IIRC) company. The guy who founded it is also responsible for "Commodore Büromaschinen" and "Amiga Technologies" both founded in the same year as Phase 5. That should already tell you all you need to know about this guy

He's called Salvador Gomez, worked for the real P5 before their demise - and apparently took a lot of prototypes, schematics and source codes with him when he left after their bankruptcy. He doesn't really own any rights - the company name was not protected, the rest he had just lying around.

The less is said about that outfit, the better. He'll never produce anything but lots of Facebook bullshit.
Old 26 August 2018, 16:02   #5
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korodny View Post
He's called Salvador Gomez, worked for the real P5 before their demise

Not as an engineer, though, but rather as a coffee boy.
Old 26 August 2018, 16:29   #6
Korodny
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
Not as an engineer, though, but rather as a coffee boy.
Right, forgot to point that out. Somewhere (LinkedIn?) he describes his role at bplan - he did work for them too, for a short period of time - as "Document, Sales, Marketing & PR Manager".

That does translate to "coffee boy", I guess
Old 26 August 2018, 16:42   #7
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korodny View Post
"Marketing & PR Manager".
...that's quite funny considering he has absolutely zero "Public Relations" skills from reading his numerous rants.
Old 26 August 2018, 16:43   #8
kolla
Banned

But now there an even newer Phase5 around on Facebook, rumoured to be the "real" Phase5 guys this time, lol.

https://www.facebook.com/phase5digitalproducts/
Old 26 August 2018, 16:54   #9
nobody

Maybe that phase5 is a fake too, just to troll this guy.
Old 26 August 2018, 18:36   #10
adonay
active amiga 1200 user

Send a message via MSN to adonay
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
Maybe that phase5 is a fake too, just to troll this guy.
Had the same thoughts
Old 26 August 2018, 18:47   #11
dirkies
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
But now there an even newer Phase5 around on Facebook, rumoured to be the "real" Phase5 guys this time, lol.

https://www.facebook.com/phase5digitalproducts/
I cannot comment what is going on because he might be reading this, as "interesting stuff" is going on secretly in the background.

But I prefer not to read anything from this guy on EAB anymore, just ignore and forget him and his obvious scam, that's all I can suggest.
Old 26 August 2018, 18:53   #12
Overmann

This is even crazier then I thought! The "other new" phase5 could very well be a troll account. This Salvador Gomez really seems like the kind of guy who would attract the attention of internet trolls.

If the Phase5 brand was to be ressurected i do hope it is helmed by a person that isn't a lunatic. The jury is still out on this Gomez fellow, I think. What is surprising is that he managed to get the board that he sent out produced. I don't know if the board had the issues that was claimed, but there is no doubt that it was an actual PCB, and that it was possible to put the correct components on it.
Old 26 August 2018, 19:00   #13
nexus

sad thing is most dont see that those ppc boards have no reason to be using the same cpu
if he has everything he says
60X bus is compatible with many no reason to be using 603/604 on a board today
Old 26 August 2018, 19:00   #14
dirkies
Zone Friend

http://www.amigacrimescene.com/start/

:-)
Old 26 August 2018, 19:16   #15
grelbfarlk

I greatly respect Salvador's Phase5 project as avant-garde performance art. Sometimes the layers of humor are just too deep and I get great enjoyment from his "updates." Later episodes haven't been as good as he's breaking the fourth wall a bit.
Old 26 August 2018, 19:17   #16
nexus

also the fact he is throwing everything and the kitchen sink up on that site for sale also says its fake as no way he can produce all that hardware
even if somehow he could wouldnt you have seen at least 1 thing he is selling working
Old 26 August 2018, 19:18   #17
DamienD
Banned

I wish I kept some of his choice PMs to me about threatening legal action against EAB (admin, moderators, all members who dared to disbelieve / speak up) but...

Anyway, I got fed after all his crap and posted my "personal" opinion in this thread: Issues with the BPPC2 and GND Plane.

In hindsite, my post was quite extreme but I'd had enough of his constant bullshit and threats

He was also banned from EAB after a group moderator discussion
Old 26 August 2018, 19:44   #18
nobody

If he was smart he would have called some guy that actually knows electronics to build some cards, 50-100 or so and profit together instead of going the full way and pretend he owns phase 5 and promise to bring back the whole series of their previous list of boards.
Old 26 August 2018, 19:46   #19
nexus

a proper scam would give you way more than that
why scams are everywhere
and again no need to build a 603/604 based card when it could be way faster powerpc eg G3/G4
the whole thing make 0 sense to me
Old 26 August 2018, 19:58   #20
nobody

How hard it is to build a card and prove yourself? Just call a damn engineer to do the job for you.
Maybe the answer is he doesn't have the full 1260 diagrams lol.