English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 09 October 2010, 20:43   #1
lost_loven

SCSI Adapter help!!!

I don't know what to do, at a loss. I have this scsi adapter i think it might be the problem, maybe not .. help . ..

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=55458

lost

sorry if this is like a double post or something...
Old 09 October 2010, 20:47   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@lostloven

firstly.... where's winnipeg? =)

okay - I believe that problem you are having is scsi.device related and we need to update it - firstly the great news is that HDTools can see the device - this means for the most part its probably compatible, so all wee need to do now is activate Large Hard Disk Support for your OS.

So we need to know -
1. What Classic Workbench are you using?
2. Have you read the tutorial in adding large harddisk support?

I have a feeling we will need to talk NSDPatch - which I have been helping out a lot with today LOL - but more on that later if needed.
Old 09 October 2010, 20:52   #3
lost_loven

the classic lite, I installed the new scsi.device and did the version test and it is the 43.24
I read the tutorial and was pretty stright forward i thought.. I wonder if it is the adapter. there is jumpers on the adapter that has jumpers on id1, and id2, but not id0.. could that be related to it at all?
Old 09 October 2010, 21:15   #4
lost_loven

well figures .. Enough messing around and i got it.. I took off the id1, and id2 jumpers and just have a jumper on id0 on the adapter and it saw the drive.. now when i am in hdinstool i made a 3.5 gig partition, but knowing how to set up the rest of the drive is a bit weird.. I guss i have to make note of the cyclinders and what not.. its not like the hd tool box where it is all sliders and so easy to do.. the overview does not show the available partitions. i did have a dh2 in there but not now.
Old 09 October 2010, 22:15   #5
lost_loven

ok this is getting stupid.. HdinstTools sees the 25 gig and the 3 partitions.
1 - 3583mb
2 - 16316mb
3 - 14832mb

i save and goto workbench and goto do a quick format and it see's only like 2.5 gig partitions.. wtf?

lost
Old 09 October 2010, 23:29   #6
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@lost loven

Download and have a read of SFS guide my friend - take it slowly and it will begin to make a bit of sense.

to get large hardrive support it is a game of two halfs

1. a Patched (updated scsi.device)
2. a Patched FFS or better (SFS) Format.

A good place to start would be the SFS Docs - also Bloodwych has created a tutorials section on how to enable Large Harddisk Support for Classic Workbench - so have a look at the second youtube on the tutorials page.
Old 10 November 2010, 05:25   #7
lost_loven

ok back at it today.. been real busy lately .. . k the scsi device is updated.. made sure and checked in shell and reports right. i goto the hdtoolbox in the my files drawer and load the tools.. it see's the 35 gig hd. when i click on partition drive it it fills the bar and gives like 1900 meg partition.. that isn't right.. I go edit and update the driver to smartfilesystem and makes no difference.. I edit the partition and where i slide the bar to make the size its like i can have a 0 - 16 gig partition half way through the bar and the second half if i keep sliding the bar it starts all over from the middle and starts all over from 0 - 16 gig partition.. like if its a 16 gig max. and the cyclinders go all out of wack. If i try and set like 4 or 5 partitions on the first half of the slide bar and make it out to equal 36 gigs. i can't format any of the drives except the first 2 gig partition i made.. rest being around 10 or 11 gig to equal out the 35 gig hd. the rest of the drives come back with errors not being able to be formated and saying full. The scsi adapter i am using i set the pis on id0 and start ( i assume start drive on power on) . A 80 pin to 50 pin. Should synchronous pin be on? could it be that the scsi chip on the a3k is the 04 version? maybe cause i am tring to set it up through a extrnal case before i put the drive in the system and dump that 350 meg in it? i read the set up guides and it all is straight forward.. ARGH

lost
Old 10 November 2010, 05:52   #8
mech

The problem is your adapter i believe. When you use a adapter like that you end up with a couple possible problems.One is it will kick the drive off the chain and go haywire, the second is you may only see the first 4gb of the drive as usable.
What you need is a 80->50 adapter with high byte termination,since you are in essence going from a wide drive to narrow scsi.So the upper high bytes are left hanging in the wind unterminated and you can't address the drive properly(mind you this is a half assed explination).More than likely you can trust it as a 4gb hd and it will work,losing most the capacity...

i recommend getting a wd-08 chip also,but the right adapter "SHOULD" work on 04.i think softhut.com still has the wd upgrade chips.

OR:

The adapter you need is this : http://cgi.ebay.com/New-SCSI-68-50-P...item53e4883f16

be sure to check its got the right connections for your stuff(male/female wise).
Sadly these adapters are pretty scarce and not as cheap as the others($24 usd).

I recommend using active terminators also(don't confuse high byte termination with proper terminators for the end of the scsi bus)

SFS is the best bet for a filesystem. If 1.279 gives your trouble try dropping back to the old 1.84.

I think this SHOULD fix your problem

SIDENOTE: For those of you using 50 pin narrow drives on the cyberstorm ppc UWSCSI,be SURE you must also use a adapter with high byte termination to avoid stability problems(i.e. using a 50 pin cdrom on 68pin uwscsi)

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost_loven View Post
ok back at it today.. been real busy lately .. . k the scsi device is updated.. made sure and checked in shell and reports right. i goto the hdtoolbox in the my files drawer and load the tools.. it see's the 35 gig hd. when i click on partition drive it it fills the bar and gives like 1900 meg partition.. that isn't right.. I go edit and update the driver to smartfilesystem and makes no difference.. I edit the partition and where i slide the bar to make the size its like i can have a 0 - 16 gig partition half way through the bar and the second half if i keep sliding the bar it starts all over from the middle and starts all over from 0 - 16 gig partition.. like if its a 16 gig max. and the cyclinders go all out of wack. If i try and set like 4 or 5 partitions on the first half of the slide bar and make it out to equal 36 gigs. i can't format any of the drives except the first 2 gig partition i made.. rest being around 10 or 11 gig to equal out the 35 gig hd. the rest of the drives come back with errors not being able to be formated and saying full. The scsi adapter i am using i set the pis on id0 and start ( i assume start drive on power on) . A 80 pin to 50 pin. Should synchronous pin be on? could it be that the scsi chip on the a3k is the 04 version? maybe cause i am tring to set it up through a extrnal case before i put the drive in the system and dump that 350 meg in it? i read the set up guides and it all is straight forward.. ARGH

lost

Last edited by mech; 10 November 2010 at 06:00.
Old 10 November 2010, 06:15   #9
mech

Also, a person might notice that the 9 lines are just terminated on the ebay adapter with resistor packs..a clever hardware hacker may look at that design and add those resistors to his exhisting non-high byte bridge to in essence make it a high byte terminated bridge )))

note 68-50=18...but half those are ground lines so in reality you have 9..

do this at your own risk!

Mike
Old 13 November 2010, 23:28   #10
lost_loven

k, I install o/s 3.9 on a 80 meg hard drive in winue in windows.
put it in the a3k and used that 80mg that is 2nd in line to the 36 gig (1st in the chain) which in hand terminated the chain. K thur the hdtools in 3.9 it saw the 36gig and i did the default set up and it created 4 8 gig partitions and a 2 gig partition. rebooted and all formatted no proplem.. mucked around alittle and and put 3.9 on the 36 gig and it booted and worked! WOOT its all there.

I don't want 3.9 , memory is drained to like 1.7 meg chip and 1.5 meg fast.. that sucks compared to 3.1 and having almost 1.8 meg chip and 3.7 meg fast.

So what can i do.. ? besides get more ram which i can't afford. Internal 50 pin scsi terminator is on my next to get al-cheap flee bay list. I unplugged the 350 meg hard drive in there (power off of course) and when I went to use it, it didn't work. no spin up or nothing. In the freezer it went and still no go. So its dead.. fine. I know i am jumping around here. I don't want to pull out one of the floppy drives to have the 80 meg there for termination reasons. but looks like i will for now. Lack of room so be it. So back at hand.. maybe try setting up with the 8 gig support thur classic workbench.. maye that would work for 3.1 ?

lost

update . . k i can get this local

http://www.cbit.ca/product.php?produ...cat=724&page=1

solves one problem

Last edited by lost_loven; 14 November 2010 at 00:40.
Old 18 November 2010, 01:45   #11
lost_loven

Well update .. if anyone cares.. and maybe useful to who ever has this problem now or in the future with these drives.. I used scsi prefs off aminet and made a longer time out for the hard drive to spin up and recolonize and guess what.. it booted .. Woot.. made 3 partitions under 4 gigs and system see's them.. anything over 4 and doesn't see em.. oh well small price for mass storage what is realy not needed.. now time to start dumping demos' and games.. Sitting here tweaking away..

lost
Old 18 November 2010, 09:35   #12
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@lost_loven

Firstly you must update the scsi.device, there are a couple of ways to do this

1. Rom Update (the easiest)
you will need to have a kickrom update that re-loads an improved SCSI.device on boot - the machine will then re-boot and then continue to load with the new/patched device loaded

With OS.3.9 this is done for you, you will need to enable large harddisk support for other workbenchs - have a look at the links I put in my second post.

2. Update the KickStart
Using ROM Split and Remus you can modify your kickstart rom image to include the updated SCSI.device - once done you can just program (save it back to) EPROM chips

Now that you have this, you need to ensure that workbench can really use it - you should now, install NSDPatch (new style device) on your system.

Once you have this setup you will have 64bit harddisk support

If you dont follow the above its quite likely any data you put on any partition (other than the first one) will not be coherent and or even accessable.

Another thing is that (unless you use the pached FFS file system) you should go over to SFS (Smart File System) (again review the links in my previous post on how to install it)
Old 19 November 2010, 04:54   #13
lost_loven

k, i think the scsi prefs was a great help.. it solved the hard drive for a solo boot and not depending on the 80 meg i had in there.. so the 80 meg is out and the 36 gig is booting to workbench on its own. it shows the latest version of the scsi.device and nsdpatch is installed. Still it doesn't allow anything over 4 gig. I read the doc's over and over.. maybe it is a termination problem then? or not ? I don't want to use 3.9 for the lack of ram. Maybe I should delete it all and start from scratch maybe?

lost