English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. AMOS

Old 14 August 2018, 08:55   #1
nobody

Map editor (Windows) that works with Amos

Is there any map editor on Windows that works with Amos? I want to play a bit with it and I hate the Amiga-side tools. A sprite bank editor would be nice too. Also is it possible to write your program in notepad++ then open in editor and compile-run?
Old 14 August 2018, 09:55   #2
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

TOME is a third-party add-on but has its file format documented in the manual. Writing an exporter should be no problem.

As for Notepad++, you can do an ASCII merge operation from AmosPro once the text file has been saved with the proper line endings.
Old 14 August 2018, 14:57   #3
idrougge

Works with AMOS? All map editors work with AMOS.
Old 14 August 2018, 17:47   #4
MickGyver

I think Tiled is the best map editor out there (terrain brushes etc). Check it out: https://www.mapeditor.org/

I made a conversion tool that creates binary files from Tiled maps mainly to use in Gamemaker Studio, but it is possible to output a format that should work with the AMOS Tome and Turbo Plus extensions (width and height as first two words, then each tile number as bytes). You can read about it and download the tool here: http://www.gamephase.net/tiled-to-binary-converter/

Only one tile layer can be exported per file if you decide to go this route.

Last edited by MickGyver; 14 August 2018 at 17:53.
Old 15 August 2018, 10:50   #5
nobody

Thanks for the suggestions. I will investigate a bit more into using tiled.
Old 11 February 2022, 11:51   #6
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickGyver View Post
I think Tiled is the best map editor out there (terrain brushes etc). Check it out: https://www.mapeditor.org/

I made a conversion tool that creates binary files from Tiled maps mainly to use in Gamemaker Studio, but it is possible to output a format that should work with the AMOS Tome and Turbo Plus extensions (width and height as first two words, then each tile number as bytes). You can read about it and download the tool here: http://www.gamephase.net/tiled-to-binary-converter/

Only one tile layer can be exported per file if you decide to go this route.
I'd love to see something like that. I am fairly new to Amos so I wouldn't know how to add Tome extensions (just yet).
I have worked with Tiled before, wonderful program, if I could use that to create maps for Amos I would be happy as Larry.

Actually, if someone such as yourself were to program such a converter I am sure there'd be people who would buy it?
I can imagine a youtube video explaining the process of map conversion and insertion into Tome (for people such as myself)...with links to where you can get it (itch.io is a good option, that way people can give you money for your efforts).
I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts

Last edited by CaptainNow; 11 February 2022 at 15:49.
Old 12 February 2022, 01:09   #7
idrougge

AMOS doesn’t have any given map format, meaning that any map format must be implemented by hand in AMOS. And that means that any map format can be used from AMOS, you just need the code to read the format in question.
Old 01 March 2022, 19:44   #8
DiabloV

i use TILED with a self made conversion tool to convert in binary bank. ROKS !
Old 02 March 2022, 04:14   #9
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNow View Post
I'd love to see something like that. I am fairly new to Amos so I wouldn't know how to add Tome extensions (just yet).
I have worked with Tiled before, wonderful program, if I could use that to create maps for Amos I would be happy as Larry.

Actually, if someone such as yourself were to program such a converter I am sure there'd be people who would buy it?
I can imagine a youtube video explaining the process of map conversion and insertion into Tome (for people such as myself)...with links to where you can get it (itch.io is a good option, that way people can give you money for your efforts).
I'd be very interested in hearing your thoughts
I'm not sure if you missed it somehow, but I have made that converter, I even made a more featured second version of it. You can get it (including documentation) at itch.io: https://gamephase.itch.io/tiled-to-binary-converter-2
Old 17 August 2022, 14:51   #10
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickGyver View Post
I'm not sure if you missed it somehow, but I have made that converter, I even made a more featured second version of it. You can get it (including documentation) at itch.io: https://gamephase.itch.io/tiled-to-binary-converter-2
Thank you so much!!
I shall be looking into this for sure!

I would be very interested in learning how to do the opposite too, I have a bunch of maps from Scourge of the Underkind that I would love to be able to load into Tiled, but it's beyond my skills...I am hoping it's possible so Magnus can write me a converter to get them from the Amiga into the PC.
Old 17 August 2022, 16:33   #11
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Magnus can write anything if he feels to
Old 18 August 2022, 14:24   #12
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Magnus can write anything if he feels to
Yeah, he is extremely talented
Old 19 August 2022, 05:53   #13
MickGyver

Making an Amos map -> Tiled map converter should be relatively easy. Let me know if you want me to throw something together for SotU if Magnus don't have the time to do it. I will gladly help if it helps in getting your game done.