English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 16 May 2007, 20:32   #101
StarEye
Zone Friend

Some of these choices are just so unrealistic it's not funny. I thought this was going to be a half-serious thread. :P

I remember seeing Pirates! Gold on PC, and I always hoped they'd release the Deluxe versions on the Amiga 1200. Only Civilization ever got a "deluxe" version, but I can't even begin to comprehend how great Pirates! Gold would've been on the A1200.

No, the CD32 version doesn't count... that was basically a port of a Megadrive game.
Old 16 May 2007, 20:44   #102
Ultron
Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye
Some of these choices are just so unrealistic it's not funny. I thought this was going to be a half-serious thread. :P
Time to make that Which one gets ported first: FarCry or F.E.A.R? thread...
Old 16 May 2007, 20:48   #103
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
...that was my intension when creating it, maybe I should change the title to have *realistic* in it somewhere
Old 16 May 2007, 20:49   #104
TheBoss

Send a message via ICQ to TheBoss
lets get a group of coders/gfx and start porting some of these games to the Amiga!
Old 16 May 2007, 22:22   #105
Legerdemain

Quote:
Well, I was at least perfectly serious with what I said... because all of what is mentioned could have been done. Which games are way off, according to you (that is to be found in the thread)?
Old 16 May 2007, 23:05   #106
Legerdemain

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla
You've pretty much pin pointed the Amiga's two worst genres.
Damn. I wrote a lengthy post concerning this and then suddenly FireFox decided to shut down the tab (?).

I'll just quickly try to summarize what I said in that very post:

* Wolfenstein 3D could probably have recieved a decent port for the A500. If the game would have ran in 15 FPS instead of 30FPS, well, fine... considering how satisfied some seemed to be with the ClickBOOM version of Quake (which according to me is completely unplayable) I think people would have been satisfied with a Wolfenstein 3D running in a not so high FPS.

* Doom got released 1993. If an Amiga version would have been released by 1994 people would not already have started buying their 030-based accelerators, but the sales of the accalerators would probably have rocketed (a new expensive PC to be able to run the game, or a very much cheaper accelerator card? Oooh, though choice...). Even though I do understand that some people always aims at having the game running on their 'core' Amiga... Doom would probably been as good of a reason as anything to actually make the 030-accelerator a standard. And if it would have been a standard maybe, finally, some game developers would have realised that they could raise their bars some few inches. I mean, people constantly upgraded their PC's just to play the latest games... but one single accelerator making the A1200, for example, being able to give a completely new gaming experience that would have lasted for another couple of years (maybe), would that really have been such a bad thing? Well, neither Wolfenstein 3D and Doom were never ever a possibility (if the rumours, that a certain person on ID Software hated the Amiga and would do anything to never see the games released on the plaform, are true)... so in the end it doesn't really matter.

* The 1-button limitation is fictional. It was really a nice experience playing Turrican II with a Master System joypad... simply because I didn't have to bother about reaching for 'space' everytime I wanted to use the special attack. If there is one thing I can't understand it must be why the game developers didn't at least include the option of using more buttons more frequently. Some players had 2-button based controllers. Some had even more buttons to make use of. It wouldn't exactly have delayed the development of a game to include the option... so why did they so rarely do this very thing? Especially when it came to fighters? Didn't they know that they were able to do it? Were they just completely left behind? Were they just aiming at making the whole experience as dreadful as possible? What on earth where they thinking trying to make a figthing game with many moves only using one button? They must have been mad... there's simply nothing more to it... it can't possibly be anything more to it than that.

Last edited by Legerdemain; 16 May 2007 at 23:17.
Old 17 May 2007, 00:40   #107
StarEye
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legerdemain
Well, I was at least perfectly serious with what I said... because all of what is mentioned could have been done. Which games are way off, according to you (that is to be found in the thread)?
Your games weren't too bad. I can only assume though, that most of the worst offenders were just joking. :P

I mean, World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy VII and Resident Evil? Alone in the Dark would be more than enough for the Amiga, and only with PPC.

I wasn't being too serious with my comment though, as I assume some of you are only joking. Looking back though, it's not as many as I thought it was.
Old 17 May 2007, 01:02   #108
Legerdemain

Quote:
Your games weren't too bad. I can only assume though, that most of the worst offenders were just joking. :P

I mean, World of Warcraft, Final Fantasy VII and Resident Evil? Alone in the Dark would be more than enough for the Amiga, and only with PPC.

I wasn't being too serious with my comment though, as I assume some of you are only joking. Looking back though, it's not as many as I thought it was.
Actually I'm having a hard time believing that Alone in the Dark would have been too much for the Amiga. I did run the game under ShapeShifter on my Blizzard1230-equiped A1200 and it was playable (albeit not fluent when some objects got too big). If it had been optimized for the Amiga it feels like it would have been possible to make the game run on an A500, or at least a bare-bone A1200 (with the textures disabled). It's not much more than some pre-rendered backgrounds with quite simple 3D-objects on top (and the game engine in itself, that is). Really basic AI-stuff in there. Well, maybe the A500 wouldn't cut it... but the A1200...
Old 17 May 2007, 04:50   #109
VermillioN

Quote:
Actually I'm having a hard time believing that Alone in the Dark would have been too much for the Amiga. I did run the game under ShapeShifter on my Blizzard1230-equiped A1200 and it was playable (albeit not fluent when some objects got too big). If it had been optimized for the Amiga it feels like it would have been possible to make the game run on an A500, or at least a bare-bone A1200 (with the textures disabled). It's not much more than some pre-rendered backgrounds with quite simple 3D-objects on top (and the game engine in itself, that is). Really basic AI-stuff in there. Well, maybe the A500 wouldn't cut it... but the A1200...
Agreed.. mostly
And Res Evil is a muchness of the same... ness..

A few others I'd love to have seen: (some have been mentioned)
Command and Conquer
Kyrandia II
First Encounters
Settlers II

Old 17 May 2007, 08:44   #110
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2
Oids and Super Sprint both ST.

I still make maps for oids and it's still a fun game even though iv'e played it to death.Super Sprint plays brilliantly and is one of the best games you can play with your chums.
Sundog, also ST.. these would have been EASY to port to Amiga... WHY?
Old 17 May 2007, 10:31   #111
Kurtz
No right to judge him.

Quote:
Aside from Prey? Well I wouldn't know... no big loss anyway.
Old 17 May 2007, 11:24   #112
Marcuz

@ungi: wasteland got ported to DOS i think i have a version in one of those gold-box like serie compilations.

as for the games i would like to have for amiga, at the time they were out for pc, i wanted :

Might and Magic 4 and 5
Wizardry 7
Eye of the Beholder 3
Unlimited Adventures
The Secret Weapons of Luftwaffe
The Dig
Dogfight
Jetfighter
all the Dos only Sierra games
Ultima 7
Darklands...

but most of all:
a perfect port of PONG (hanimex version)
all the Super Mario
Sonic

and a shitload of platforms from Nes, Neo Geo, Pc Engine, Snes, Sega ecc..

Last edited by Marcuz; 17 May 2007 at 11:34.
Old 17 May 2007, 13:29   #113
seuden
uber cool demi god

Streets of Rage 2, and maybe the others, lol.
Old 17 May 2007, 18:10   #114
DamienD
Banned

An Amiga conversion of the arcade game Willow
Old 17 May 2007, 18:21   #115
Graham Humphrey

But Damien, don't you realise that it's already been released for.... oh no, sorry, it's Elf. My mistake.
Old 17 May 2007, 19:34   #116
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
An Amiga conversion of the arcade game Willow
wah cool game! is available for mame or something like it? Nebula?
Old 17 May 2007, 21:56   #117
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana
wah cool game! is available for mame or something like it? Nebula?
Yup it's available for MAME. Dunno about Nebula, never really use that.
Old 17 May 2007, 22:02   #118
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey
But Damien, don't you realise that it's already been released for.... oh no, sorry, it's Elf. My mistake.
Lol. Willow was actually released on Amiga, obviously not an Arcade conversion tho.

EDIT: In fact looking at the release dates, Willow (arcade) ripped of Willow (Amiga).
Old 17 May 2007, 22:19   #119
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay
Yup it's available for MAME. Dunno about Nebula, never really use that.
thanks!
i use pretty much only mame and winuae recently, but because of a recent hd crash, the mame dir is on hold until i can transfer it somewhere else.
mame and winuae, being the most immediate and user friendly systems to my poor patience with software, are easily complementary about old games: what one has not it may be on the other, with a fairly large bunch of great exceptions of games, like some Dos only or consoles only.
Old 18 May 2007, 00:22   #120
Legerdemain

Quote:
Originally Posted by seuden
Lol. Willow was actually released on Amiga, obviously not an Arcade conversion tho.

EDIT: In fact looking at the release dates, Willow (arcade) ripped of Willow (Amiga).
The arcade version looked intersteing. Have to check it out (the Amiga version looks... uhm... not so nice). Though, I have to say that Willow on the NES really got me hooked. An action-RPG... which actually held some class (games based on movie licenses haven't really had such a nice history, I think... but Willow and some other games actually managed to make something good out of the license).