English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 18 January 2022, 22:54   #1
Lisko

Gabriel Knight and shapeshifter on a blizzard 1230

Hi, I was thinking of playing Gabriel Knight on my amiga 1200 with a blizzard 1230 mk.IV using shapeshifter. Before I start tinkering with, do you think that the game could be playable?
Old 18 January 2022, 23:50   #2
Estrayk

yes; I tested it years ago with MuEVD driver for ShapeShifter from THOR and hmm.. well... it runs... and you can play, but very slow.
Old 19 January 2022, 04:44   #3
Marce
Banned

such game should run at full speed if your 030 have MMU, otherwise will run slow
use Fusion 3.x instead shapeshifter because is faster, it cames with refreshed AGA drivers for MMU
Old 19 January 2022, 12:29   #4
Lisko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce View Post
such game should run at full speed if your 030 have MMU, otherwise will run slow
use Fusion 3.x instead shapeshifter because is faster, it cames with refreshed AGA drivers for MMU
Will give it a try, I always thought that on modest machines shapeshifter was faster than fusion. If someone has a ready fusion system 7.x hd image to share it will save me a lot of time. Thanks
Old 19 January 2022, 12:44   #5
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Err, MuEVD is a "refreshed driver for MMU". That's as fast as it gets. I doubt Fusion will get it any faster. Of course it helps to have an RTG card in the system.
Old 19 January 2022, 17:26   #6
Marce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Err, MuEVD is a "refreshed driver for MMU". That's as fast as it gets. I doubt Fusion will get it any faster. Of course it helps to have an RTG card in the system.
Fusion refreshed build in AGA driver is far better and faster than MuEVD+shapeshifter
I tested that long time ago,
and is fact such driver was done by the same gold digger author of Moovid
Old 24 January 2022, 00:50   #7
Marce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisko View Post
Will give it a try, I always thought that on modest machines shapeshifter was faster than fusion. If someone has a ready fusion system 7.x hd image to share it will save me a lot of time. Thanks

http://grandis.nu/eab/FTP/Misc/MacOS...MacOS7.6.1.zip

anyways I recommend to install macos 8.1 because is better for installing mac packages and games or mounting floppy disk images,cd images etc
Old 24 January 2022, 09:46   #8
Lisko

Quote:
http://grandis.nu/eab/FTP/Misc/MacOS...MacOS7.6.1.zip

anyways I recommend to install macos 8.1 because is better for installing mac packages and games or mounting floppy disk images,cd images etc
I already have this but I thought that it was made for shapeshifter rather than fusion and I read somewhere that it's not a good idea to use an image made for one on the other emulator. I also read that os 8.1 is significantly slower on modest hardware like mine.
Old 25 January 2022, 23:04   #9
Marce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisko View Post
I already have this but I thought that it was made for shapeshifter rather than fusion and I read somewhere that it's not a good idea to use an image made for one on the other emulator. I also read that os 8.1 is significantly slower on modest hardware like mine.
fusion and shapeshifter use idem hardisk file formats
for fusion to make it to work you must rename the file to MSHardFile0 and copy to the dir hardfiles in fusion dir
at the same time such dir must have an assign called MSHF: which is done automatic in the user-startup if you install fusion using the installer

note this is case sensitive otherwise you will not see the hardfile in fusion hardisk preferences
if u add more hardfiles must be named MSHardFile1, MSHardFile2 and so on

MacOS8.1 is not slower and is far better than 7.x
having 16mb of ram on your Amiga is enough to run it correctly
Old 03 February 2022, 10:42   #10
lioneer

Gabriel Knight is slow and unstable under ShapeShifter /sound and screen freezing... better with Fusion/. Slow, but faster than PC version under ScummVM AGA/RTG.
Old 03 February 2022, 17:31   #11
BarryB
Amigaholic

I run this in Basilisk II on MAC OS 8.1 but it only runs in a Window, never figured out how to make run full screen, that's if it does?
Old 03 February 2022, 19:40   #12
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Is a bit OT but i can swear i have seen a version of the Gabriel Knight "making of" documentary where they used Deluxe Paint (either PC or Amiga version am not sure of) to making the speech animations (a Mandela effect?)

Last edited by saimon69; 03 February 2022 at 19:54.
Old 13 March 2022, 07:39   #13
Marce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
I run this in Basilisk II on MAC OS 8.1 but it only runs in a Window, never figured out how to make run full screen, that's if it does?
press ALT+ENTER
Old 13 March 2022, 10:49   #14
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Fusion refreshed build in AGA driver is far better and faster than MuEVD+shapeshifter
I tested that long time ago,
and is fact such driver was done by the same gold digger author of Moovid
Do you have any measurements to support this opinion? I frankly doubt that - the P2C functions in MuEVD operate at chip ram bus speed, and the descriptor update via the MMU does not have much room for improvements either.
Old 13 March 2022, 14:31   #15
Marce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
Do you have any measurements to support this opinion? I frankly doubt that - the P2C functions in MuEVD operate at chip ram bus speed, and the descriptor update via the MMU does not have much room for improvements either.
I do not have any measurements to support this, and the last time I made that conclusion was in the year 2000 because the apollo 1240 which I had stopped working then in 2001 I sold my A1200 and moved my energy to the PC side

anyways Fusion is better and more compatible emulator than shapeshifter, ie

at least in games I remember the game wolfsteintein and prince of persia 2 not worked fine in shapeshifter etc
Old 13 March 2022, 16:21   #16
Aardvark

Quote:
I do not have any measurements to support this, and the last time I made that conclusion was in the year 2000 because the apollo 1240 which I had stopped working then in 2001 I sold my A1200 and moved my energy to the PC side

anyways Fusion is better and more compatible emulator than shapeshifter, ie
My measurements from 2022 shows Shapeshifter being faster with both GPU and CPU. Same benchmark run in Shapeshifter is on the right side.

Quote:
at least in games I remember the game wolfsteintein and prince of persia 2 not worked fine in shapeshifter etc
Some games like Prince of Persion 2 works better in Fusion, but for demanding games Shapeshifter is always my first choice (Wolf3D works perfect in Shapeshifter btw [ Show youtube player ] ).

Main reason for me to use Fusion over Shapeshifter is to play games that insists running in 16 color mode, as RTG drivers refuses to open 4-bit color screenmode in Shapeshifter.
Old 13 March 2022, 19:06   #17
Nobby_UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lioneer View Post
Gabriel Knight is slow and unstable under ShapeShifter /sound and screen freezing... better with Fusion/. Slow, but faster than PC version under ScummVM AGA/RTG.

Tried ScummVM RTG = Error (See Grabs)
Works fine with ScummVM PC (2.5.1).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	225.png
Views:	88
Size:	3.1 KB
ID:	75083   Click image for larger version

Name:	226.png
Views:	105
Size:	283.4 KB
ID:	75084  
Old 16 March 2022, 00:18   #18
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
press ALT+ENTER

That's to make the emulator run fullscreen not the GK window inside MacOS!
Old 07 June 2022, 13:34   #19
Zarnal

My tests with this game :

Fusion ( different configurations with or without MMU, 60 fps ) : No music but sound effects are OK. If you try to start "Midi Utilities" to select a sound driver for this game ( soundmanager or midi drivers ), it freezes when the requester appears.

Shapeshifter : Aleatory freezes randomly ( MuEVD not tested, only refreshed MMU ). Sometimes music is audible. Same issues with " Midi utilities " as for Fusion.

Basilisk II Amiga : Same issues as for Shapeshifter.

Basilisk II PC version : sound and music are Ok. " Midi Utilities " too.
Old 12 June 2022, 00:17   #20
JimDrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
My measurements from 2022 shows Shapeshifter being faster with both GPU and CPU. Same benchmark run in Shapeshifter is on the right side.

These must be run on two different machines, or the caches are off for FUSION. FUSION will *always* be faster than Shapeshifter.