English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 15 April 2022, 23:39   #1
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Someone explain A500 Mini to me

I haven't looked in great detail but from what I have picked up here and there you can't just run ADFs and HDFs etc is this correct?

To me the choice of not being able to run the Amigas standard game ROM the ADF is beyond bizarre and for me not being able to mess around with workbench would be a major draw back.

Ive seen these videos etc of people using Citadel to load Workbench whats this all about?

Thanks
Old 15 April 2022, 23:48   #2
Korban

You can use ADFs and HDFs and you dont need to use whdload to install Workbench, just not with out of the box configs.
The Citadel thing is just because the mini has a way to run whdload games by just placing the game archives on a usb stick. People have been utilizing the game Citadel as a way to access some normally unchangable settings via the whdload game running method. Citadel doesnt need to be what is used, its just a freebie that Retro Games Ltd. offer with the downloads that allow whdload games to be used.
It's setup to be akin to the mini game consoles, but it doesnt need to used that way.
Old 15 April 2022, 23:51   #3
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Thanks for the reply. Not actually owning one it makes it a bit tricky but where can I find info on how you can use ADFs etc?
Old 15 April 2022, 23:57   #4
Korban

Using whdload games gives access to a config file. You just need to enable the gui in the config file.
Installing The OS proved a lot trickier, especially if you want complete control and read/write access. Some config options are done through the systems internal read only storage and cant be changed. As far as I know Im the 1st person to completely open up the system to allow Workbench to be installed to a directory based read and write partition.
The method others have been using is pretty hacky and has restrictions.
Old 16 April 2022, 00:01   #5
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Can you give some detail in what was necessary to achieve what you did?
Old 16 April 2022, 00:26   #6
Korban

Ive got an archive I uploaded that does everything for a person already, along with adding rtg, 160MB RAM, and is tuned for speed.
The scripts and configuration method Retro Games Ltd use to have the system setup is convoluted to a point my brain hurts just at the thought of trying to explain it to someone who doesnt have all the files and their directory structure in front of them, especially seeing as I've spent hours finalizing and "perfecting" everything just a few shorts hours ago.
If you want to know just for the sake of the knowledge I don't mind sharing, but my brain is fried after dealing with this stuff for hours, so if you dont mind maybe ask me another time or send me a msg here or something like that.
The archive that has all the files needed I've already uploaded and shared at the official facebook group, but I have a few additions I'd like to make, and am waiting for feedback and bug reports before I let people en masse have access to it.
Old 16 April 2022, 00:32   #7
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Ok thanks again thats fine - Ive just been looking at the A500 Mini Hacks / Mods thread and as long as there is a possibility to use ADFs and HDFs makes it seem more interesting.
Old 16 April 2022, 02:54   #8
number6

@thread

The video version is right here:

[ Show youtube player ]

Old 16 April 2022, 03:12   #9
number6

@thread

Remade with audio:

[ Show youtube player ]

Old 16 April 2022, 08:39   #10
twenty90seven
twenty90seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korban View Post
Ive got an archive I uploaded that does everything for a person already, along with adding rtg, 160MB RAM, and is tuned for speed.
The scripts and configuration method Retro Games Ltd use to have the system setup is convoluted to a point my brain hurts just at the thought of trying to explain it to someone who doesnt have all the files and their directory structure in front of them, especially seeing as I've spent hours finalizing and "perfecting" everything just a few shorts hours ago.
If you want to know just for the sake of the knowledge I don't mind sharing, but my brain is fried after dealing with this stuff for hours, so if you dont mind maybe ask me another time or send me a msg here or something like that.
The archive that has all the files needed I've already uploaded and shared at the official facebook group, but I have a few additions I'd like to make, and am waiting for feedback and bug reports before I let people en masse have access to it.
Awesome, which Facebook group (I am joined to the A500 Mini/Maxi Users)
Old 16 April 2022, 10:10   #11
Retro1234
Phone Homer

The more I think about it the more using WHDload does seem like a good idea to make the machine fit into the market of other similar retro clones.

I'm still interested to see what people can do to get the console doing other stuff.
Old 23 April 2022, 19:31   #12
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Whats the joypad like. I've only seen one complaint.
Serious retro gamers always moan a lot and more causal retro gamers are vague so some honest thought would be nice.
Old 23 April 2022, 19:46   #13
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
I haven't looked in great detail but from what I have picked up here and there you can't just run ADFs and HDFs etc is this correct?

To me the choice of not being able to run the Amigas standard game ROM the ADF is beyond bizarre and for me not being able to mess around with workbench would be a major draw back.

Ive seen these videos etc of people using Citadel to load Workbench whats this all about?

Thanks
Is simple as : adding tens of thousands users to the Amiga community. Probably the best thing that happened to the Amiga world since Commodore bankrupcy.
Old 23 April 2022, 22:09   #14
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Is simple as : adding tens of thousands users to the Amiga community. Probably the best thing that happened to the Amiga world since Commodore bankrupcy.
I somewhat agree. I was a little stumped by the primary use of WHDload but after thinking about it seems a good idea.

Just interested in the joypad now and maybe getting one.
Old 23 April 2022, 22:15   #15
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

The primary use of WHDLoad was ALWAYS to make the machine accessible to likely first time Amiga users.

No disk swapping faff, no configuration faff, less bugs in the games, protection stuff removed so no needing a manual, simply drop a file on USB drive and click on it and it all runs, making it as easy as all the other Mini systems so people are not put off by complications.

For those of us that are more savvy with Amiga, the ability to use HDF and ADF is key, and that will come officially but I know people are doing stuff behind the scenes to make it happen sooner.

Mine sits on the PS4 and its had some use, playing on a laptop is alright, playing on a large TV is somewhat more relaxing lol

It has the potential to add new blood to the Amiga community.
Old 23 April 2022, 23:22   #16
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I'm getting one for sure. This is not for playing on your computer, it is for taking it with you in a bag to play the games again with your brother when you swing by his house
Old 24 April 2022, 00:52   #17
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
The primary use of WHDLoad was ALWAYS to make the machine accessible to likely first time Amiga users.
Considering its time of release, I think it was rather for very die-hard Amiga users who could no longer run games from disk on their expanded machines, or preferred not to, since their machines had everything needed to run games from hard drive instead.
Old 24 April 2022, 01:39   #18
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Considering its time of release, I think it was rather for very die-hard Amiga users who could no longer run games from disk on their expanded machines, or preferred not to, since their machines had everything needed to run games from hard drive instead.
The use of WHD on the mini is to make it more accessible to new users etc.

but yeah I can see that now and makes sense.
Old 24 April 2022, 01:42   #19
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
In relation to the Amiga Mini
Old 24 April 2022, 01:43   #20
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
The use of WHD on the mini is to make it more accessible to new users etc.

but yeah I can see that now and makes sense.
This guy got it lol