English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 26 May 2013, 16:05   #1
W4LKR

Getting protracker 2.2a samples from PC to floppy and working

Hey all,

I'm new to the Amigascene and bought an Amiga500 a week ago. It was 10 euro's so I couldn't let it pass.

My idea was to make music with it using protracker. I was kind of lucky when I found an old floppy with Protracker 2.2a on it inside the A500!

I also bought a USB floppydrive and some floppy's.

The problem I'm running into is that I want to put samples on my 'new' floppy's and load them in PT 2.2a but PT 2.2a keeps saying 'Can't find DIR' whenever I try to load the samples.

Anyone knows how to get it to work?

Thanks in advance!

Old 26 May 2013, 17:15   #2
daxb

Can you read the filestructure from PT2.2a disk? The sample files are listed from your sample disks and the error messages appears after click on a sample?
Old 26 May 2013, 17:23   #3
W4LKR

The error occurs when I try to load the disk. It doesn't show any files at all.

What do you mean by reading the filestructure? If you mean the helpfile, I did read that and it didn't really help. Also if you mean 'are you using the correct sample file extensions or sizes', those are also correct (got them from http://aminet.net/mods/inst, which should be the right format).

Old 26 May 2013, 17:24   #4
s2325
Zone Friend

I think your disk is still in PC format, ProTracker can not read something like that.
Old 26 May 2013, 17:26   #5
W4LKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
I think your disk is still in PC format, ProTracker can not read something like that.
Is there a way to format them into an Amiga compatible format?

Old 26 May 2013, 17:56   #6
s2325
Zone Friend

Easiest way is to run ProTracker with WinUAE.
Old 26 May 2013, 18:02   #7
W4LKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Easiest way is to run ProTracker with WinUAE.
I know, but I like working on original hardware eventhough it's a pain in the ass.

Old 27 May 2013, 14:18   #8
daxb

So it seems you have "just" a filetransfer problem. You want a OFS (I guess) formated disk with sample files. One solution is to get fat95 (Aminet) on a OFS formated disk that can be used with your A500. Then you can use pc formated disks. You still need to copy the files to a OFS disk for use with PT.
Old 27 May 2013, 14:42   #9
W4LKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
So it seems you have "just" a filetransfer problem. You want a OFS (I guess) formated disk with sample files. One solution is to get fat95 (Aminet) on a OFS formated disk that can be used with your A500. Then you can use pc formated disks. You still need to copy the files to a OFS disk for use with PT.
I do not own a workbench disk, this is a problem right?

Anyway, there is no way to format a 'normal' 1,4mb hd floppydisk into a amiga formatted disk with files on it? (I read something about putting tape on the 'newer' disks on the extra hole?)

Old 27 May 2013, 17:43   #10
Cymru

Oh Boy!

This will be a long thread. There are several ways to get files to an A500 from a PC. Bearing in mind that some may only work with a later KickStart/WorkBench, It would help if you had a full install of OS 3.1, your PC has a serial and parallel port (a Catweasel MK3 or 4. -- unlikely, but miracles do happen), and a recent copy of the AmigaForever CD or DVD. With a PC parallel port, search for "the fastest, easiest,.. way to transfer" and Greek guy "Ikonsgr" who has a solution for this problem. You can use a PC serial port and the Amiga Forever transfer program, although you need to have the program also running on your A500. With a Clockport adapter you could add a Subway USB to your A500. With a CDROM drive, you could read CDs but you would be looking for a SCSI or IDE solution and a HDD. With a modem, you could connect to the Internet and download the files directly.

"But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well do ya' punk?"
Old 28 May 2013, 20:22   #11
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

some cheap/newer PC disk drives won't even format a 720k disk because they don't have the HD detect switch. They imagined nobody would still want to use a DD disk anymore, so saved a few pennies.
Old 28 May 2013, 23:22   #12
Cymru

Use the MS-DOS 5.0 format command and format anyway you can. I have two USB FDDs that will format appropriately for what I use, plus a circa 2000 Celeron laptop and an old server with a floppy.
Old 16 June 2013, 17:45   #13
W4LKR

I bought an Advanced Midi Amiga Sampler (A.M.A.S.) which has an audio input for sampling. I just a 3,5mm jack cable between my laptop and Amiga so I can sample everything, works great!

Thanks for all the help people (: