Old 07 May 2021, 16:34   #1
npagonis73

Presenting shell output in nice requester

[http://www]
Nikos Pagonis

Posts 81

07 May 2021 13:28

Hi there
I was wondering how i can present the output of a command in a nice requester like the one coffin and you can see in the attached photo. That menu uses the RequestChoice command which then outputs its data to ReqAttack and produce that result. That technique is fine for small text outputs like the core info for example. When i use the same command for something that produces a lot more Info like the attached shell photo then i get the same nice requester but in a huge long form, from one side of the screen to the other and the info all in a straight line instead of one line below the other. Of course not all info is in there cause there is not enough space.
Any idea how i can achieve a nice presentation of the shell output?
Thanks

Last edited by npagonis73; 07 May 2021 at 16:56.
Old 07 May 2021, 17:40   #2
daxb

You need to add newline markers in the body text. E.g.: "Board information:*n*nProdukt-ID : 6*n..."
Old 07 May 2021, 20:53   #3
npagonis73

Hello Daxb!!!! Always available to help. Appreciate it mate. The thing is that all this information you see in the shell comes out with the following command "VControl Board" . I don't input all this by hand. The way you describe is correct and I have made a script inputting all this data by hand using the *n to separate every line. The alignment is never ok though but never mind. The point is that it is not automatic anymore and you can not use it to identify any vampire board.
Old 07 May 2021, 22:01   #4
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Maybe you could pass the output through a script/tool (like 'sed') to replace '\n' with '*n'
Old 07 May 2021, 22:04   #5
npagonis73

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
Maybe you could pass the output through a script/tool (like 'sed') to replace '\n' with '*n'
I am not familiar with 'sed'. Could you give me an example maybe to try out?

Thanks
Old 07 May 2021, 23:01   #6
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Quote:
Originally Posted by npagonis73 View Post
I am not familiar with 'sed'.
I was just suggesting sed to indicate a type of tool which may be of help - sed is typically found on unix/linux systems. It's probably also available for amiga.

something like "sed -z 's/\n/*n/g'" will convert newline (\n) with *n.

Edit: Actually there is a very small version of sed on aminet by Thomas Richter, but I don't know if it supports -z, otherwise gnu versions are also available, but they are orders of magnitude larger.

Last edited by hooverphonique; 07 May 2021 at 23:30.
Old 07 May 2021, 23:41   #7
npagonis73

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooverphonique View Post
I was just suggesting sed to indicate a type of tool which may be of help - sed is typically found on unix/linux systems. It's probably also available for amiga.

something like "sed -z 's/\n/*n/g'" will convert newline (\n) with *n.

Edit: Actually there is a very small version of sed on aminet by Thomas Richter, but I don't know if it supports -z, otherwise gnu versions are also available, but they are orders of magnitude larger.
Ok thank you hooverphonique, will have a look at it and let you know.

Take care
Old 09 May 2021, 10:12   #8
Thomas Richter

No, SED doesn't support that. It only operates on entire lines. You can attach a *n to each end of line, however.

But there are other tricks. The shell knows how to escape newlines itself in variable expansions. That is, you could place the result in a variable and enclose the variable name in double quotes. This will perform the necessary escaping of the variable content by stars.
Old 09 May 2021, 19:45   #9
npagonis73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Richter View Post
No, SED doesn't support that. It only operates on entire lines. You can attach a *n to each end of line, however.

But there are other tricks. The shell knows how to escape newlines itself in variable expansions. That is, you could place the result in a variable and enclose the variable name in double quotes. This will perform the necessary escaping of the variable content by stars.
Thomas thanks a lot for your help. Could you please write to me the command in order to get the output in a variable and how to use the double quotes? The command I run is VControl Board and that produces the shell output with all the infos. What comes after that?

Thanks again for your help

Nikos